Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
So with this OCZ deal going on which of these would be good for the microserver http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18238238 ?

Kimbie

Seeing as it's not possible to overclock on this server, just grab the cheapest 10666/1333Mhz set...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-219-OC&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=

That has a CAS latency of 9 and paying the extra few quid each time for CL8 or CL7 is not going to make much difference for heavy file based operations.

Associate
Oh dear. Found my microserver wasnt on this morning. Found a black screen with blinking cursor top left. It wont boot into windows 7 (Home Prem 64bit) but the BIOS says everything is OK. Bugger.

Im assuming the boot disk is dead? corrupt? Anybody have any other ideas what it could be.

Im assuming trying to repair from the windows disk is the next step?

Help!

Associate
Has anyone with WHS V1 installed simmelar LAN speeds like Sh4rkie on page 23?

Setup:
OS drive in the top bay, 2 x 2 Tb in the cold swap bays.

LAN speeds on Gigabit network: max 5 MBps
Internal transfers from one folder to another with the file manager in the Home Server Console took 15 minutes and on the old P4 2.0GHz in was just 2 minutes.

AHCI enabled in Bios. NIC set to auto.

I think this box is not suiteble for WHS v1...:confused:
Try setting the NIC speed manually to 1Gbps, also turn off "flow control" if it's on. Report back if things improve :)

Associate
Speed up

Set to IDE in BIOS improved the speed, but server freezed. I've a keyboard, monitor and mouse hooked up, but it won't awake so I had to reboot. This happened a few times. I set the settings in the NIC to not shut down by the computer and the settings from sh4rkie. It's up and running now for about 3 hours. Not getting the 1 Gbps speed but an average of 18 MB and a max of 38 MB.

Edit: it's still freezine or something like that. Monitor is dark grey, no respond on mouse or keyboard. The trick to get my stuff off my old WHS is to play music or watch video's from the new WHS on the same PC as Synctoy is running...

Last edited:
Associate
Aye, but in a vmware environment.

FreeNAS really is a piece of ****, boot from the CD, choose to install it onto the 160GB drive and your pretty much good to go straight out of the box. Playing around with the RAID config from within the GUI just takes some time to get your head around if you not done it before but a few hours will give you a working system (initiation and formatting does take some time though!). I've not followed any one particular guide but a mix of many but google really is your friend and this thread is pretty helpful too.

Only difference between our setups is FreeNAS is running from inside vmware, you don't get direct access to the disks so you need a bit of fudging this thread is good for that:

http://blog.davidwarburton.net/2010/10/25/rdm-mapping-of-local-sata-storage-for-esxi/

I've not had chance to test how this actually works in anger but I will do this weekend as girlfriend is away so I've got some peace and quiet :)
Did you ever actually get this working? I've been trying for ages to no avail.
I constantly get "file system does not support large files (12)" yet I've made both my datastores have the Maximum block size. It's really starting to drive me mad.

Soldato
Would like a kind user with WHS to get in touch ([email protected]) as I have a few WHS specific questions

Post up the question you never know who else may benefit from the answer!

I'm still loving my little box, got all my music copied over and shared around the house, installed TVersity last night so I can now stream all my music direct to our iPod touch and Wii. Got a few little niggles to iron out and then I'm going to setup My Movies and get ripping my DVD's.

The primary reason I purchased the server was for centralised data storage and back up that it is doing brilliantly complete with an external drive to take offsite.

Associate
Post up the question you never know who else may benefit from the answer!

I'm still loving my little box, got all my music copied over and shared around the house, installed TVersity last night so I can now stream all my music direct to our iPod touch and Wii. Got a few little niggles to iron out and then I'm going to setup My Movies and get ripping my DVD's.

The primary reason I purchased the server was for centralised data storage and back up that it is doing brilliantly complete with an external drive to take offsite.

You should look at Subsonic too. You can log on from anywhere and watch films from your browser with a youtube style interface, and play music from your browser too. Tis quite spangley.

Soldato
How is everyone routing the HDD power cables when using the 3.5" bay under the optical drive? And how do we attach the optical drive? I know.. RTFM but I'm keen to get going asap!

Given the hours that have passed since your post you probably already know this, but...

Unless they've updated the chassis metalwork since I bought mine there isn't a 3.5" bay under the optical drive. There is a gap about the right size under the optical drive, but it isn't designed to (and probably won't) take a 3.5" drive.

The mountings for the optical drive can be found on the inside face of the door.

Associate
Finally got my cheque today. Got the email confirming claim on 06/01/2011. I've had a lot of personal crap going on, so I've had no time to play with it at all. It's still working fine running from a usb stick though, as I'm often streaming files from it.

Soldato
Given the hours that have passed since your post you probably already know this, but...

Unless they've updated the chassis metalwork since I bought mine there isn't a 3.5" bay under the optical drive. There is a gap about the right size under the optical drive, but it isn't designed to (and probably won't) take a 3.5" drive.

The mountings for the optical drive can be found on the inside face of the door.

Thanks for the response. Yeah what a dumb design. They could easily have mounted the boot drive in that space. Oh well. I fitted my 2.5" boot drive instead. And routed an eSATA to SATA cable back into the case so I could have 6 SATA devices.

Given everyone advises to avoid the AMD SATA drivers, is the only driver needed on W7 the Catalyst video one?

Googled and found AMD 785E driver....

Last edited:
Associate
I have mine up and running smoothly now, but I am having problems sourcing a graphics card that will fit. I have tried the Zotac one on Misco and **** and they keep sending me a passive cooled one despite advertising it as active with its fan. Grr.

Can anybody please suggest a graphics card for around about £30 that will let me play some media via a sound equipped HDMI port?

Thank you ;o)

Associate
I want to use XBMC and from the little I have read it sounds like an nVidia is the way to go. Also I thought a fan would be good to avoid overheating in the small case, hence why I was looking at nVidia 210 card.

Associate
I want to use XBMC and from the little I have read it sounds like an nVidia is the way to go. Also I thought a fan would be good to avoid overheating in the small case, hence why I was looking at nVidia 210 card.

Ah.... someone with the same ideas as me and at the same stage.

I'm going to order an Asus EN210/DI/512MD2(LP) when I'm back home next week. It's about £31. Don't think I can post a link - you'll have to search for it.

From what I've read on the XBMC forum, nVidia and fan-cooled is the way to go - better support for nVidia in Linux and fan cooled because of the small case.

Have read somewhere that the passive (has SILENT in the product code) version of the above card doesn't fit because of the cooling fins.

I've also ordered an MCE IR remote for it which is on its way.

Back
Top Bottom