BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Yes, but it really is dependent on capacity as i have seen it vary from 30kbps (rarely) to full line speeds (get the higher end of the spectrum now days, gotta give a thumbs up to openreach for upgrading the area)

Last edited:
Associate
Why are you uploading torrents at 10Mbps?

I completely understand why they throttle p2p uploads to 1Mbps.

Imagine at peak time a large number of users uploading at 10Mbps (would easily happen since so many users don't bother to cap uploads in bittorrent clients). Completely cripple the network.
Uploading at 10Mbps is quicker than 1Mbps, so instead of leaving my torrent client open for an hour I can leave it open for 10 mins. That's if BT weren't throttleing it to 1Mbps anyway.

I have no problem with torrent throttleing, I do have a problem with throttled upload 24/7 for even the occasional user like myself.

Apart from this though I love it.

Soldato
Uploading at 10Mbps is quicker than 1Mbps, so instead of leaving my torrent client open for an hour I can leave it open for 10 mins. That's if BT weren't throttleing it to 1Mbps anyway.

Torrent uploading isn't based on sending a file and stopping. It's about continuously uploading the file as a seeder to many people. A lot of people who use bittorrent to download stuff run the client for as long as it takes to download the file. There is no need to upload at 10Mbps for that duration.

I have no problem with torrent throttleing, I do have a problem with throttled upload 24/7 for even the occasional user like myself.

Apart from this though I love it.

My uploads aren't throttled. Files to dropbox and my workspace go at 8Mb+.

Associate
Torrent uploading isn't based on sending a file and stopping. It's about continuously uploading the file as a seeder to many people. A lot of people who use bittorrent to download stuff run the client for as long as it takes to download the file. There is no need to upload at 10Mbps for that duration.
Depends what your using torrents for.

My uploads aren't throttled. Files to dropbox and my workspace go at 8Mb+.
I'm obviously talking about torrent upload. HTTP/FTP upload is fine.

Associate
OP
A thought I have had... IP addresses. From a bit of searching I understand they only offer a static IP on the more expensive BT business packages. How often does the IP address change on BT Infinity (consumer)? I know for example Virgin IPs are dynamic but in practice if equipment is left on all the time, the IP hardly ever changes.

Soldato
Just found out my Exchange has just gone fibre live.

I am currently with Zen and after looking at their prices for fibre, I haven't a clue what to do now. Prices are shocking compared to BT especially when you have to purchase a router and add £90 for activation.

zen.jpg

Soldato
A thought I have had... IP addresses. From a bit of searching I understand they only offer a static IP on the more expensive BT business packages. How often does the IP address change on BT Infinity (consumer)? I know for example Virgin IPs are dynamic but in practice if equipment is left on all the time, the IP hardly ever changes.

Mine says i have been connected for 2 days, I know this must reboot the device or re sync or something as i have never re set the modem since i have had it.

Associate
I have 2 months left on my virgin media contract. They have been very very poor in the last 6 months for online gaming, so Im looking at my options.

Im looking at FTTC and looking at BT and aquiss as ISPs. In the past I used to have ADSL with BT (quite a long time ago I should add) and they were rubbish, so Im leaning towards going with another ISP for this.

For online gaming, how good/bad is FTTC? If I can get about 30mb but with a solid stable high quality connection with excellent consistent pings and next to know latency jitter then I would be very happy.

Soldato
Im having a great gaming experience, really cant fault it. When i first found out i could have FTTC BT quoted 27mb downloads, when the engineer was here and had his little machine plugged in, it was showing 37mb and thats what im still getting. Really good internet so far. Im on my Xbox gaming while the other half is on You tube and no slow downs at all.

Soldato
Wish I could get fibre where I live. BT infinity isn't in my area and there aren't any plans to put it here. I live in a town just outside leeds and the population here is around 20000. The next town to ours has got infinity already which is a bit annoying:mad:
We don't have virgin media here either so it looks like i'll be stuck on a normal line for years unless I move:(

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Just found out my Exchange has just gone fibre live.

I am currently with Zen and after looking at their prices for fibre, I haven't a clue what to do now. Prices are shocking compared to BT especially when you have to purchase a router and add £90 for activation.

zen.jpg

You get what you pay for. ;)

Soldato
I have 2 months left on my virgin media contract. They have been very very poor in the last 6 months for online gaming, so Im looking at my options.

Im looking at FTTC and looking at BT and aquiss as ISPs. In the past I used to have ADSL with BT (quite a long time ago I should add) and they were rubbish, so Im leaning towards going with another ISP for this.

For online gaming, how good/bad is FTTC? If I can get about 30mb but with a solid stable high quality connection with excellent consistent pings and next to know latency jitter then I would be very happy.

Pings are great ... unless u r trying to download the internet at the same time
aquiss traffic management seems to kick in a lot of the times in the evening
but it doesnt seem to effect gaming pings thankfully

Associate
My exchange has now been enabled for FTTC, finally. I'm thinking of moving over from BE to BT Infinity. Currently at 3.5mbps and with FTTC, I could get ~33mbps.

Should I go for Infinity now, or wait for other ISPs to catch on, like BE/O2 or Sky?

Soldato
Wish I could get fibre where I live. BT infinity isn't in my area and there aren't any plans to put it here. I live in a town just outside leeds and the population here is around 20000. The next town to ours has got infinity already which is a bit annoying:mad:
We don't have virgin media here either so it looks like i'll be stuck on a normal line for years unless I move:(

I have BT Infinity at my phone exchange, however they never bothered to do my cabinet im connected too, so I can't get it!

Probably never come back and do the cabinets they left out either.

Soldato
ARGGGH

Checked the website again today, my date which was 31dec2010 then moved to 31mar2011 is now "We have no plans to roll our Infinity in your area".

Seriously what are these people playing at.

Associate
In our village my broadband is down to about 0.8 atm:mad:

Theres a nice shiney optic cabinet about 200m away.:D

The lure was toooooo much, I really don't like BT that much but 36 really did it for me. Not going to wait and see what other ISPs are going to offer as I want it NOW! Well I get in just under 2 weeks.

Associate
ARGGGH

Checked the website again today, my date which was 31dec2010 then moved to 31mar2011 is now "We have no plans to roll our Infinity in your area".

Seriously what are these people playing at.

I got that too :( - I did ring up BT though, as I am moving to them soon ish, and they said, BT infinity will be in my area soon, so, maybe they are doing it, and they just havent sorted on the system?

Soldato
I have BT Infinity at my phone exchange, however they never bothered to do my cabinet im connected too, so I can't get it!

Probably never come back and do the cabinets they left out either.

I wouldn't be bothered if they were planning on doing my area in a few years. But it seems like they're only doing it in a certain areas til the end of next year and then that's it. If you don't have it by then,it's tough luck:mad:

Back
Top Bottom