Gear Thread - Pics

Associate
One for the brave only...

js6o7197.jpg

:D

Crazy loud. Great sound though.

How EC played these turned up to 10 in clubs I have no idea. :D

Soldato
Left to Right: Encore ENC165EAR, Shine Les Paul WT440 (bought today :D), Westfield 5-String Rockbass, Westfield B4000

P1050138.jpg

Line 6 Bass POD hiding in the background, nothing special on the AMP front, torque t-10 and some generic 20 watt starter amp from a bass package

Associate

When im not re-installing XP - that machine runs Virtual DJ, although i may switch to Traktor after i get a demo version.

2 X KAM KCD 450 USB
1 X Behringer DDM400 Mixer/Midi controller

Really need a decent amp/speaker package now, the Denon CD player isnt cutting it :)

Associate
From left to right, sorry about the dark pictures.

1) Washburn D100 acoustic mahogany brown. Cheap at £65 but o.k.
2) A ria Pro II super grade series PE inspire (i love this guitar and only cost me £140 but the R.R.P. is actually £799!)
3) Westone Thunder I. This is a Matsumoku made classic that i bought second hand for £70 about 18 years ago. I need to do some work on this.
4) Legend Jazz bass, this is made by A ria and is not very good really but i just wanted a cheap bass.

SDC10191.jpg

SDC10194.jpg

SDC10193.jpg

SDC10196.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Finally caved in a bought a little ep, cheap as chips and sounds pretty good for £190 inc stand. Yamaha NP-30

Played organ of all things for 4-5 years when was a teenager 25 years ago, now gonna learn joanna... lessons start monday (gulp). Just learning piece number one from grade 1 and seems ok so far without instruction, no doubt doing it wrong though :(

I've somehow got it in head I can do a grade per month, but somehow I doubt it lol

piano.jpg

Soldato
Finally caved in a bought a little ep, cheap as chips and sounds pretty good for £190 inc stand. Yamaha NP-30

I bought my little bro one of those for Christmas 2009 - great value for around £200 :) I almost considered getting one myself to use as a rehearsal keyboard, but I think that the action is just a bit too light for me unfortunately.

Anyone got experience of the Nord Electro? I'm considering looking into one, though they're rather pricey.

arty

Man of Honour
A grade per month? Wow that's ambitious but good luck to you!

yeah not very likely I know... but I can play grade 1 without lessons with abit of practice so I hope childhood lessons will kick in

if I could get to 3 without any sweat I'd be happy tbh, then battle up from there...

the np-30 action is rubbish, but if I stick with it I'll treat myself to something like a roland vpiano, which would be awesome (though a P85 would prolly be all I need)

love the organ photo, £100!!!!, brings back memories and nightmares :)

Soldato
Don't forget to get a sustain pedal for your NP-30 - you'll probably find you want one of those pretty quickly.

Grade-wise, I suspect you'll slow down from around Grade 5 onwards; that's where students of mine found it slightly harder going when I taught in the past. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the grades at all (which is why I only have Grade 1 in piano :D) but each to their own :)

arty

Man of Honour
How much are you paying for lessons Flukester?

£12 per 30mins, had first lesson last night, was a scary thing after 25 years since last one. Had a hr for the money though...

Went through scales and some simple sight reading, it's amazing how rusty you get. Played 'Gavot' on teachers baby grand which was fun... took me 7 hours to teach myself it last week eek!!!

She says I can should be able to take mock grade 1 exam maybe before summer, which is ok I guess :)

All in all not as easy as I first thought, it's all well and good learning pieces off top of head.. but knowing the theory etc is gonna be a whole new can of worms. I wanna catch up me sister who is mid way on grade 4 after 4 years.

Soldato
I bought my little bro one of those for Christmas 2009 - great value for around £200 :) I almost considered getting one myself to use as a rehearsal keyboard, but I think that the action is just a bit too light for me unfortunately.

Anyone got experience of the Nord Electro? I'm considering looking into one, though they're rather pricey.

arty

A bit of experience - I looked into one before getting my XK3c, and the dep Hammond chap in my band uses one.

His is the 1st version of the Electro. Good sounds, if a little bright. It's limited for Organ due to only having one set of (virtual) drawbars. EP sounds are great. I think it has a clav too? Action is interesting - very light, only semi-weighted, and designed to be a best compromise between organ and piano actions. It has waterfall fronted keys.

I few people on various forums swear by the Electro2 over the newer Electro3 as selecting presets/voices on the go is a little less fiddly.

I'm not sure that the Electro2 has the upgradeable memory of it's newer brother though - with the Electro3, you can download new sounds (Nord just released some newly sampled pianos, for example) and add them in.

All in all, if you're after something as maybe a 2nd keyboard for a gig-rig to take care of occasional lead organ parts, or EP/Clav parts, the Electro is pretty hard to beat - I think it's reasonably industry standard.

Don't get it if you're really after a stage piano though.

Back
Top Bottom