Best Fittings for watercooling tubes ?

Associate
Im just curious as to what is the best way to secure the tubes into place.

Iv heard of compression fittings but were told they are rubbish.

Are there any other types and which is best ?

Soldato
I'm using very cheap 8/10mm compression fittings. In the spirit of testing I tied a length of tubing around my case, put one of these on the free end, and proceeded to lift the entire case up using that one fitting. I don't know how much my case weighs, but I wouldn't want to walk very far carrying it.

So I don't think compression fittings suck. It takes considerable force to get the tubing out, and I've now largely given up on leak testing. The waterblock might leak, the O ring might leak, but the tubing to compression joint isn't going to.

Soldato
Used compression fittings here to, and as for being rubbish, what a load of carp, mine were quite cheap and look far better. My loops been up and running 7 months with no leaks at all, have a look at both make your own mind up.

Man of Honour
Either of the above :)

Been watercooling for many years, and both methods mentioned work perfectly.

As JonJ678 has pointed out, the only small leaks i've had are from O rings or not tightening fitting properly - Human error :D

Associate
Having used both, there are pros and cons to both:
Compression fittings:
Pros - Look good, seal well (never had a leak with them).
Cons - pricier, performance will be equal to barbs if used right...

Barbs:
Pros - a lot cheaper and easier to fit (using clamps).
Cons - less slick looking, require clamps to get a good seal, more prone to leaking (in my opinion).

Associate
As you can see .... Everybody has the best method and done/fitted correctly they will all do the job admirably. Sometimes its a matter of sitting down and working out what system works best for the application (Your tower) ... then there's the eye-candy factor!!! ... as in "How deep are your pockets" at the end of the day, all we "need" not want, is a sealed system to carry colant from radiator to blocks and back to radiator with the highest degree of system integrity/safety.

For high flow systems I personally use 1/2" fittings, and 7/16" tube ... this gives me tight connections with no real need for clamps even although I believe in insurance, so I do use black spring clips.... A little alcohol/metho or even liquid detergent acts as a temporary lube making fitting a breeze with the tighter tubes.

Another factor people loose the plot on is streamlining the fluid circuit!...every time you put in a 90 (tight) degree fitting/turn, your introducing a restriction.......straight runs means high flow .......two vertical barbs with a soft 180 degree between them is hugely more efficient then two pretty gold 90 degree fittings, turning your flow not once but twice at tight right angles!!! That's restriction!!! now multiply this by 10 ... sometimes you just have to use them although what about a 45 degree fitting ... better then a 90...or can I us a 30 degree fitting? ...better then a 45!!

A little forward thinking and planning will pay dividends and funnily enough will actually save you money on the fitting list .

Aussie Allan

Back
Top Bottom