Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Oki doki, so I installed the ASUS EN210 graphics card in my microsever which is running WHS 2003.

The physical installation was not too bad, other than the backplate being too high, and the replacement low profile backplate being the wrong way around, and so I now have no backplate. But I don't think this is too big an issue.

But I just can not get the card to run right. I installed the XP 32 bit drivers, and could only get the full 1080p resolution via HDMI using a custom resolution in the nvidia control panel.

Then when I ran XBMC I got a blue screen with "The driver is mismanaging system PTEs."

I thought maybe it was XBMC so I tried VLC, it would play a bit of video and then when I stopped the video again the same blue screen.

After a bit of research I saw it could be a driver problem so using Driver Cleaner, and Driver Scraper and whatever else I uninstalled all graphic and sound drivers in safe mode. Then installed the drivers again with first the Asus install, which did not help, then with nvidia install, which did not work. Then having again cleared all drivers I installed them manually from device manager, and it did not work.

And now I am pretty much out of ideas as I have tried 3 different drivers, on a driver cleaned system.

Any help or advice please?

Last edited:
Associate
I used a single stick 4GB of Kingston Value Ram, KVR1333D3N9/4G I think. Can be had for less than £30inc, I don't believe the board supports dual channel memory anyway so a single stick is fine. Its been running flawlessly for 3 weeks since with 100% uptime.

Associate
I used a single stick 4GB of Kingston Value Ram, KVR1333D3N9/4G I think. Can be had for less than £30inc, I don't believe the board supports dual channel memory anyway so a single stick is fine. Its been running flawlessly for 3 weeks since with 100% uptime.

Found this for £30, but can anyone confirm that the board doesn't take dual channel though? The £25 OCZ kit did look awfully tempting...

Soldato
I dont suppose this microserver supports DDR3 ECC Registered memory does it, as I have loads of that.

Yes it does, unbuffered ECC, want to sell some ;)

Won't work, I also have loads of the registered stuff at work, filled with glee I installed 2 x 4gb sticks but the thing wouldn't boot. Ended up buying just normal Corsair XMS3 PC10666 RAM in end.

Associate
I want to install a new NIC due to problems Im having with the Onboard NIC resetting when under load in Freenas. I want to use one which is on the Freenas HCL, such as the Intel Pro 1000 PT Server Adapter.

Am I restricted to only half-height NICs? The specs would suggest so, but has anyone installed a full-size card to the PCIe slots?

Associate
Im looking at the HP NC112T PCI Express Gigabit Server Adapter - http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06c/A1-329290-64274-3965907-3965907-3914131-3914133.html - the card itself is half height and comes with a low profile chassis bracket. Its listed as being compatible on the HP website, its controller chip (82574) is also on the FreeBSD HCL - http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.2R/hardware.html

I think Im going to take a punt, if it enables me to be able to put load onto the server with the latest Freenas without the network connection resetting then its £35 well spent.

Soldato
Im looking at the HP NC112T PCI Express Gigabit Server Adapter - http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06c/A1-329290-64274-3965907-3965907-3914131-3914133.html - the card itself is half height and comes with a low profile chassis bracket. Its listed as being compatible on the HP website, its controller chip (82574) is also on the FreeBSD HCL - http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.2R/hardware.html

I think Im going to take a punt, if it enables me to be able to put load onto the server with the latest Freenas without the network connection resetting then its £35 well spent.

Not any help I know but isn't this a drivers issue? As under Windows 7 I personally haven't had a problem.

Associate
Oki doki, so I installed the ASUS EN210 graphics card in my microsever which is running WHS 2003.

The physical installation was not too bad, other than the backplate being too high, and the replacement low profile backplate being the wrong way around, and so I now have no backplate. But I don't think this is too big an issue.

But I just can not get the card to run right. I installed the XP 32 bit drivers, and could only get the full 1080p resolution via HDMI using a custom resolution in the nvidia control panel.

Then when I ran XBMC I got a blue screen with "The driver is mismanaging system PTEs."

I thought maybe it was XBMC so I tried VLC, it would play a bit of video and then when I stopped the video again the same blue screen.

After a bit of research I saw it could be a driver problem so using Driver Cleaner, and Driver Scraper and whatever else I uninstalled all graphic and sound drivers in safe mode. Then installed the drivers again with first the Asus install, which did not help, then with nvidia install, which did not work. Then having again cleared all drivers I installed them manually from device manager, and it did not work.

And now I am pretty much out of ideas as I have tried 3 different drivers, on a driver cleaned system.

Any help or advice please?

I ordered the same card - should be arriving this week sometime. Useful to know in advance about the backplate issues.

Not much help to you, I'm afraid, but I'm going to be installing XBMC live which is Linux based - linux driver support for nvidia is supposed to be good. (I hope...)

Associate
I ordered the same card - should be arriving this week sometime. Useful to know in advance about the backplate issues.

Not much help to you, I'm afraid, but I'm going to be installing XBMC live which is Linux based - linux driver support for nvidia is supposed to be good. (I hope...)

Will you install XBMC live alone, or will it be running another OS?

Either way, do please let me know how you get on.

Associate
Will you install XBMC live alone, or will it be running another OS?

Either way, do please let me know how you get on.

Well, as I mentioned in previous post, I have Vortexbox running on it at the moment, so will keep that until I've ripped all my DVDs and CDs. I intend to install XBMC live to a USB pen drive and boot from that when I want XBMC, then will probably move to a permanent (native) XBMC installation eventually.

(But no other OS...)

Syx

Syx

Associate
Hmm - I've finally got around to installed ESXi 4.1 onto the new box; but strangely it won't let me select gigabit ethernet without hanging. If I set it to Auto-Neg it selects 100Mbps FD and selecting any kind of 1Gbps causes the network connection to drop.

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Edit: Tried with "Update 1" - no difference. Looks like it's back to S2008 then!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom