File Server [FreeNAS] spec up

Soldato
something like this?

buildn.png

Or this.. NAS

Soldato
why do you want to go down the route of a building instead of buying a pre-built NAS?

Most pre-built NAS boxes are overpriced cheap rubbish.

For similar outlay in costs, + a bit of time, you can have a much more powerful, faster, more versatile, better performing server/nas unit which can use open software and be fully customisable, and more standard.

Soldato
I too have been looking at a NAS Raid 1 Enclosure and had a look at the likes of Netgear and D-Link. Others just costs way too much. But looking at the specs of the units and features compared to cost they are very poor and I am now looking to build a NAS box since I will be able to get far better features and usability from it though I am aware it will cost slightly more.

Associate
Most pre-built NAS boxes are overpriced cheap rubbish.

For similar outlay in costs, + a bit of time, you can have a much more powerful, faster, more versatile, better performing server/nas unit which can use open software and be fully customisable, and more standard.

dammmmmn

sometimes i wish i never post in threads. i was all for buying a WD NAS box, but now I'm thinking of building my own. i'm guessing you can set it to do almost anything if you build it yourself.

wake up on LAN?
sleep after so many hours of inactivity?
download at certain times
share files to all computers

man i love you guys :D

Associate
OP
you can have a much more powerful, faster, more versatile, better performing server/nas unit which can use open software and be fully customisable, and more standard.
This exactly. :) I've had many pre-built boxes before they're no where near as good or as functional as building your own and installing a BSD based distro.

Also, danewesley is that AMD package on OCUK?

Permabanned
I have built my own secondary system to use for diagnosis purposes. It has a 500Gb HDD with windows 7 installed running 4gb ram.
What would be my best option to use this box as a NAS 99% of the time then just reboot into windows 7 when needed ?
I will end up with 2 x 2GB drives in it for use as a file server, but software wise I am not sure what would be best to use ?

It would really only be used for media streaming over a network.
Xbox 360 is my main media box as well so would need to be compatible with that.

Soldato
Um, if you already are running Windows 7 you don't need to 'reboot' into a NAS.

Besides the whole point of a NAS is that it's just there, you dont need to to boot it up etc.

Just use your win 7 install.

Turn on Filesharing and create some shares
Not sure on the best 360 streamer, maybe tversity? (for h264 mkv etc)
Windows Media player will probably work nicely with the 360 for music etc.
if you have iphone/ipad install AirVideo

Back
Top Bottom