Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
have a strange issue with my microserver. Basically I leave it a few days and then find it has switched itself off, and is on standby (yellow light). Ive looked in the event viewer and cant find anything which mentioned why its shutting down. Any ideas?

Soldato
I am sure you would have checked this already but any kind of power management switched on in OS or BIOS?

Are you able to tell if the machine shuts down via a normal shut down procedure or does it instantly go off?

Soldato
Having a brain fart this morning and can't work out how to remove the side panels on the server to get access to install an optical drive.

Any thoughts?

Open the door all the way round and lift it off it's hinges, undo the single thumb screw at the back and slide the top forward and off the curved section and the top half of the front comes with it. That it the side panels can remain on through out and if it is just an optical drive you won't need to remove the motherboard.

Syx

Syx

Associate
Hmm - I've finally got around to installed ESXi 4.1 onto the new box; but strangely it won't let me select gigabit ethernet without hanging. If I set it to Auto-Neg it selects 100Mbps FD and selecting any kind of 1Gbps causes the network connection to drop.

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Edit: Tried with "Update 1" - no difference. Looks like it's back to S2008 then!

As a follow up to the above, I can't seem to get a gigabit connection even with Server 2008 R2. The network status cycles from "cable disconnected", "enabled", "identifying" and then back to "cable disconnected" every 5-10 seconds or so.
Any ideas? No problems with 100 Full, but cannot get anything at 1000.

Associate
Has anyone not received their cheque?

I received my email confirmation on the 18th January. It's now the 16th February and I haven't received the cheque yet.

I'm a bit worried as everyone else on here seems to be receiving their cheques without any problems.

I've replied to the confirmation email address and am awaiting a response from them.

Cheers.

Edward

Soldato
As a follow up to the above, I can't seem to get a gigabit connection even with Server 2008 R2. The network status cycles from "cable disconnected", "enabled", "identifying" and then back to "cable disconnected" every 5-10 seconds or so.

Sounds like faulty hardware to me, maybe time for a warranty call to HP?

I received my email confirmation on the 18th January. It's now the 16th February and I haven't received the cheque yet.

I'm a bit worried as everyone else on here seems to be receiving their cheques without any problems.

I've replied to the confirmation email address and am awaiting a response from them.

Cheers.

Edward

I wouldn't worry about it too much you have recieved the confirmation so it is in the system, I think they just had a few more to do than they expected and the snow probably introduced a huge backlog that they are steaming through.

It's 28 days for me today since I recieved the confirmation so I'm hoping the cheque will be waiting for me when I get home but I won't be too disapointed if it is not.

Last edited:
Soldato

Cheers.

Edward

conformation email on the 17th jan, cheque today 16th feb

incidently they sent the cheque to the place I had the machine delivered NOT the address I put on their paperwork - god knows how they got that address...

Associate
What switch are you using? Can you set the port(s) your using for the server to 1000 full?

Associate
Wow, I must say, the copy speeds of this server are quite dire under 2k8... Anyone found a resolution for this? I'm robocopying from my companies file server to this, I completely forgot about the robo until I logged on my file server and saw it was still running since 10am on Monday, rather bad tbh... The disk setup is 3x2Tb in a Windows RAID5... I'm sure that's the issue, but it's a bit **** if it is the issue!

Soldato
Wow, I must say, the copy speeds of this server are quite dire under 2k8... Anyone found a resolution for this? I'm robocopying from my companies file server to this, I completely forgot about the robo until I logged on my file server and saw it was still running since 10am on Monday, rather bad tbh... The disk setup is 3x2Tb in a Windows RAID5... I'm sure that's the issue, but it's a bit **** if it is the issue!

If you've installed the AMD drivers then with W7 I found it fubared disk read write speeds, reverting back to the MS default drivers bring the speeds back.

Associate
The CPU doesn't seem all that taxed though, which is odd.. I'm thinking about dumping it over to a *nix based OS, from what I've seen the R\W times are a little better there... it's only done about 100Gb of 1.5Tb, so it's going to take ages if I don't speed this up somehow.

Associate
Hi,

Just decided to finally buy one from IT247 and order cancelled because im in NI and they only ship to mainland. Thinking about getting shipped to my student house in england and bring back to NI. Could someone tell me the approx size and weight of the unit boxed?

Cheers

Syx

Syx

Associate
What switch are you using? Can you set the port(s) your using for the server to 1000 full?
A bog-standard TP-Link unmanaged switch.
Other devices are connected at 1Gbps with no issues which is confusing - I'll check the port on the switch to confirm it's not an individual fault with the port but that seems unlikely - in fact I'm pretty confused by this and the only reports I can find of similar symptoms are due to faulty NICs :confused:

Sounds like faulty hardware to me, maybe time for a warranty call to HP?
I was thinking the same - I'll get in touch with HP and see what they have to say about it!

Associate
conformation email on the 17th jan, cheque today 16th feb

incidently they sent the cheque to the place I had the machine delivered NOT the address I put on their paperwork - god knows how they got that address...

I'm also starting to worry too, I got my confirmation on the 20th of jan, it's not the 28th day! i'm going to email them on Monday if i don't get it!

I'm guessing this is a nice way to get rid of stock and boost their cash-flow!

Back
Top Bottom