Windows 7 SP1. No 'Compcln.exe' utility?

Soldato
Hi all

I've installed SP1 final on my windows 7. I know on the previous Vista Service packs there was a utility which cleaned up previous and no longer needed hotfixes?

Does Windows 7 has one of those utilities? Theres a years worth of updates I'd like to remove without having to reinstall the whole OS :)

Soldato
can I ask, where you got it from? It's not "offical" release until 22 Feb?

if you subscribe to MSDN/technet, it's available.

if not, then you have to "acquire" it. as the files are digitally signed, they're safe and also the file hashes can be compared to the MSDN releases. they match.

Soldato
Anyone installed this yet on 2008R2? I want to install it on one of our servers but would be interested to know if I can delay the reboot until a couple hours later. Does the majority of the install occur during shutdown and the next bootup. Or is the installer itself likely to do stuff immediately that will cause running services/apps to potentially fail?

Soldato
Anyone installed this yet on 2008R2? I want to install it on one of our servers but would be interested to know if I can delay the reboot until a couple hours later. Does the majority of the install occur during shutdown and the next bootup. Or is the installer itself likely to do stuff immediately that will cause running services/apps to potentially fail?

Not done it on a server yet, but my Windows 7 install asked me at the start if the installer should restart the machine. Give me 10 minutes and I will see about getting it installed on a VM. :)

Soldato
Not done it on a server yet, but my Windows 7 install asked me at the start if the installer should restart the machine. Give me 10 minutes and I will see about getting it installed on a VM. :)

Actually scratch that. My VM isn't working. I can test later on if you haven't got the answer by then.

UPDATE: Nathan, I just ran the SP1 setup on a Server 2008 R2 Standard VM and as long as you uncheck the option to automatically restart during the setup process, then it will happily finish and not reboot. Though obviously you will need to restart it at some point to finish the installation! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I did it all last night.

Unfortunately during the reboot the server didn't come back up. Of course we had a guy on-site whilst it was all happening so it didn't become a total utter disaster.

Turned out it got hung up on the "Shutting down Hyper-V Virtual Machine Manager" step during the reboot. (Italics because nothing came up on Google for us when it happened, at least this is now documented and OcUK gets good coverage on Google. Hello there fellow Hyper-V user with this problem!)

We suspect it was a Ubuntu VM that wasn't playing ball with the shutdown process because once we got everything back to normal that was the only VM which Hyper-V suspiciously chose not to auto-restart in terms of its "last state". Perhaps a safety measure it has for problem guests.

We left it a good 25 minutes too. In the end we had to pull the power :( But luckily it came back alright then and the SP1 finished its install and all was well. Had to do a Scan Disk though afterwards as matter of course.

Back
Top Bottom