Focus ST v Golf GTI v Alternatives

Soldato
Hi,

Looking for some advice here as thinking of changing the Fiesta ST for something else (nothing to do with my redesigned bumper/dog crash!).

I had been on the lookout for GTI Golfs but they are pretty silly money i.e 20K+ for an 2009. I know they are maybe cheaper on the mainland but in NI the prices seem silly.

On the other hand you can pick up an 08 Focus ST for around £12k. Now I know what they say about running costs but there is £8k approx of difference in price.

Can anyone who has driven both suggest their preferences? I am not massively concerned about running costs to be honest as most of my mileage is work related. I'd consider a remap of the Focus though if it would help things.

I took a look through the autotrader the other night and there are just hardly any cars that I actually like the look of these days. The S3 is nice car too but I think anything over 20k is crazy money. So many other things I could put the money towards.

Opinions please.

Soldato
In most tests the ST came out on top as the better drivers car. I can't see that the £8k difference in price is anywhere worth it.

Have you driven any yet to see which you prefer?

What a prices like for the Mazda 3/6 MPS over there?

Soldato
OP
I did drive the Golf - it seemed fairly nice to drive but to me it would be more the comfort rather than the driving experience. Hopefully am going for a drive tomorrow in an 2008 ST.

The Fiesta is good fun but it's so light and handles totally rubbish in anything other than bone dry.

Never thought about Mazda right enough. The 3 is pretty nice.

Soldato
OP
I'm open to alternatives I guess. The thing I liked about the Golf was that it looked fairly discrete. When turning up to customer sites you don't want to be seen in some chavved up boyracery thing! I think Focus or Golf is fine in that regard.

Soldato
The Golf is a superb car overall. The ST probably is slightly more biased towards performance/handling but as a total package its hard to ignore the MK5 Golf GTi. Thats why I have one :)

Associate
Out of the two I'd definitely have the GTi, in my opinion it feels more of a hot hatch than the ST which I don't think drives all that well tbh.

However I'd be heading towards a Megane R26 if it has to be a hot hatch. (Presuming your budget is around the 12k mark)

Soldato
OP
I'd say an 08 GTI would probably be advertised around £15k so thats only £3k of difference between it and the Focus. It seems that it is the new shape Golfs that are the crazy money.

I'm not too keen on the Seat or Skodas to be honest. Just prefer the looks of the other two.

TypeR what mpg do you get in the GTI typically? Most of my driving will be motorway stuff but with 5 minutes of start/stop at the beginning of journey and a 5 mile blast through the country at the end of journey.

Soldato
I'd say an 08 GTI would probably be advertised around £15k so thats only £3k of difference between it and the Focus. It seems that it is the new shape Golfs that are the crazy money.

I'm not too keen on the Seat or Skodas to be honest. Just prefer the looks of the other two.

TypeR what mpg do you get in the GTI typically? Most of my driving will be motorway stuff but with 5 minutes of start/stop at the beginning of journey and a 5 mile blast through the country at the end of journey.

Mine is a 05 plate so the original 2.0 TFSi engine 197 bhp. I used to get about 33 mpg on short + motorway journeys! I have seen 8 mpg at Mallory park and 38 mpg on a 90 mile journey on motorways once. I had a Jabba Sport remap done about a year ago. Since then the car is totally transformed! 240 bhp so I get 25 mpg as my driving has changed ;)

Soldato
OP
That sounds pretty decent actually. The focus would probably average about 23. Another thing in favour of the Golf is the comfort. Even in the Fiesta crusing on the motorway you have to almost shout at the passenger to have a conversation. I'd imagine the Golf is much quieter on the road than the Ford too.

Soldato
Octavia vRS? ;)

Of the two I would have the Golf GTi even if I had to go a year or two older.

ive got nothing against golfs, i quite like them, but i just dont think they are worth the money for what they are. 12k will buy you a lot of car. try playing with the search filters on autotraders website, you will be supprised what pops up.

Associate
Considered the Mazda 3 MPS?

Can get an 2009 for £12k
260hp and 0-60 in 6.1 sec.
Not sure how much torque steer there will be, but I guess all hot hatches will be affected to a certain degree.

Soldato
Isn't the Mazda 3MPS in the stupidly high tax group? so £400 a year or whatever it is?

that would be supprising, i drive a v70 2.4 turbo, my tax is 250 per year. unless it falls into the "too new " catagory? 400 a year is madness, especialy for a small car.

Back
Top Bottom