BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Do any of you guys of any knowledge of the ISP IDNet?

I am looking for a fibre ISP that are near as good as Zen but better priced. BT are simply just not good enough for my liking.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I wouldn't be bothered if they were planning on doing my area in a few years. But it seems like they're only doing it in a certain areas til the end of next year and then that's it. If you don't have it by then,it's tough luck:mad:

Do you have a source for this?

It seems pretty crazy if they're doing this :eek:

Soldato
Do you have a source for this?

It seems pretty crazy if they're doing this :eek:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.c...d=con_ppc_maxus_vidZ59_Broadband&vendorid=Z59

Click on the "see the map" bit on the right of the screen. Shows where has it already and where will be getting it. It only shows up until march next year. Whether or not they'll be updating it I don't know.
When I put my address in it says:
BT Infinity is not currently due to be rolled out in your area.Register and we will keep you up to date about the BT Infinity rollout.
:(

I have found this:
BT are investing £2.5 billion in their fibre optic network over the next few years and plans on having it available to two thirds of the UK by 2015.
Damn. Some people could be waiting a long time for it:eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Are there any hardcore downloaders using BT Infinity. How's the service been and have you been throttled in any way? I'm looking to switch to BT Infinity in a couple of months going from 5meg to estimated 35meg as I download a lot of large files (about 10-15gb) a week so was just wondering.

Soldato
This gets on my nerves; it seems like BT is just missing out huge swathes of the population for no apparant reason. Comparing my exchange with my Dads it serves similar number of residential and commercial properties yet mine has no date for fttc and his is already enabled *mad*

Soldato
This gets on my nerves; it seems like BT is just missing out huge swathes of the population for no apparant reason. Comparing my exchange with my Dads it serves similar number of residential and commercial properties yet mine has no date for fttc and his is already enabled *mad*

It's all down to money, it costs approx £80,000 to convert one cabinet and takes a lot of man hours. We're currently hugely understaffed with a massive workstack and contractors are extremely expensive so a lot of people will be waiting for years. BT are a business and they have a responsibility to their shareholders so a lot of the country will never get it without government subsidy.

Soldato

My exchange (Chippenham) was enabled on 31 Dec 10 but I still can't get it. I don't know how they work it out but not all areas are going to have a FTTC Cabinet. There's one no more than 500m from me but the Infinity site says I can't have it. I've been trying to find out which cabinet I'm connected to but no luck. There's no point contacting BT about it though cos all they do is tell you to register your interest which I did ages ago (and have done again).

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'd like to find out which cabinet I'm connected to. I think it's about 350m away, so even if they bring fibre to it, I'll never get decent speeds.

Should have done FTTH and just used the existing infrastructure of poles and ducts :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don
I'd like to find out which cabinet I'm connected to. I think it's about 350m away, so even if they bring fibre to it, I'll never get decent speeds.

Should have done FTTH and just used the existing infrastructure of poles and ducts :confused:

Yes, because that would have worked... In it's infancy, NTL / VM almost went bankrupt trying to install cable to most of the country and fibre cabling is far more expensive and far less robust than co-ax.

As a previous poster listed, even at 350m you should see 30Mbps+ on VDSL.

[Edit] Although I have overlooked the fact that NTL had to dig up the roads. Either way, it isn't feasible to replace the existing copper network with fibre into every home. It only makes commercial sense on a wide scale when there is a large concentration of subscribers (e.g. in an MTU environment).

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, great. I get no cable, no infinity - just about get 5Meg after I snr tweak my line - welcome to the third world speeds for the foreseeable :( *grumble* *grumble*

I would pay if I could get a decent solid connection at decent speed and being on a new build estate they missed a trick whilst it was being built to put the damn stuff in in the first place :rolleyes:

Associate
Not at home at the moment so I can't post a speedtest, but I run the limited Infinity option with my E3000. 38 down, 1.7 up with brilliant response and usually around 2-5ms jitter. Will upgrade to the unlimited option in a couple of months. :)

Soldato
That's a lot of the country knackered then. The government aren't exactly going to give any money for this when they're cutting back on everything else:(

Yeah, massive shame considering it'd help grow our economy in the high tech sector (our last remaining area of strength) and provide loads of jobs for the next few years to get it all built. It'd even be green - more people able to work and shop from home, remote consultations, etc
The costs aren't even that high compared to other big national infrastructure investments, like the railways and motorways. About the same as is being dropped on shaving a few minutes from Londoners train journeys which 90% of the country won't care about in the slightest.
It's a big up front cost, but once it's in it'd be good for years to come, they'd probably make all of the money back in less than a decade through tax revenues on the economic growth and the access fees they could charge ISP's. The last estimate I read was roughly £1000 per household to do the whole country. Over the lifetime of the fiber that's not a lot. A couple of quid extra over our monthly line rental to upgrade the copper to fiber.

The countryside isn't that much more expensive than most towns to wire up either, there's lower population density, but the telecoms mostly run overhead rather than underground.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom