Windows Home Server

Caporegime
Just got this email from we got served forums

"Windows Home Server 2011 May Offer Storage Pooling After All
(But Not With Drive Extender)
This week, WGS was contacted by three separate companies who are working on plans to offer Drive Extender-style storage pooling and data duplication in Windows Home Server 2011 and Windows Small Business 2011 Essentials. None of the three solutions are currently available, but are likely to arrive in beta form in the coming months before a final release around the same time as Microsoft's new operating systems emerge.
For more details on what's planned, check out these stories at We Got Served:

DataCore's Storage Virtualization to "Do More Than Replace Drive Extender"
Drive Bender Seeks to Bring Storage Pooling and Protection to All Versions of Windows
StableBit DrivePool Add-in Set to Bring Back Storage Pooling and Folder Duplication to Windows Home Server 2011
Of course, we'll be keeping a close eye on the development of all three solutions in the coming weeks. Make sure you stay tuned to find out whether they can make Windows Home Server 2011 a more compelling upgrade.

Get Yer We Got Served 2011 Gear!
You may have noticed that we updated the venerable We Got Served logo over the Christmas holiday to a brand new design. We took out a few t-shirts printed up with the new logo out to CES this year and had a few people asking whether we’d make them available on the site. So that's what we've done!"

Soldato
Okay well thats more promising news, as long as the systems are ready to roll as the WHS 2 is launched, then all should be rosy, just a shame its a third party solution, and I do hope its free.

Associate
I now have the console running in a virtual machine.

What are the most useful (and ideally free!) add ins that I should look for?

Edit to add: Also, why can I not see the add in option in settings from the WHS Console?

Last edited:
Associate
Don't know why "Add-ins" isn't showing for you :confused:

The add-ins I use are: Disk Management (not free), remote alert, home server smart, Advanced Admin Console, Backup Database Backup (BDBB). Lots of addin lists/summaries out there to browse

Caporegime
I now have the console running in a virtual machine.

What are the most useful (and ideally free!) add ins that I should look for?

Edit to add: Also, why can I not see the add in option in settings from the WHS Console?

You need to download the mis package to \\server\software\add-ins first

Then install them from the addins menu from the settings menu in the console.

Associate
I took it a bit literally that theboyfold couldn't see the "Add-ins" option on the left site of the server settings dialogue. You're probably right that the problem was the non-appearance of add-ins under the "available" tab...

Associate
I took it a bit literally that theboyfold couldn't see the "Add-ins" option on the left site of the server settings dialogue. You're probably right that the problem was the non-appearance of add-ins under the "available" tab...

You were right to take it literally! It wasn't there, installed (something like) Advanced User Panel and it showed up! Random, but it worked :D

Associate
What's the best way to run a torrent client in WHS?

I've run utorrent and abc on my WHS without any problems. Basically anything that works with XP will work on WHS.
I use Remote Desktop to log into into my server and run the client from there. Of course WHS moans and says you are risking breaking it just because you use the Remote Desktop, but it works fine.

Associate
I've run utorrent and abc on my WHS without any problems. Basically anything that works with XP will work on WHS.
I use Remote Desktop to log into into my server and run the client from there. Of course WHS moans and says you are risking breaking it just because you use the Remote Desktop, but it works fine.

Thanks for all the other replies, however the one above... Do you have to leave the administrator account logged in using Remote Desktop?

At the moment I have made a uTorrent WebUI and have it running when I log in as my uTorrent user via Remote Desktop.

When I log off within Remote Desktop (Start --> Log Off), I can't access the uTorrent web interface. The service is still running though (I can see this in the console).

I'm trying to find the instructions that I followed last night...

Associate
Thanks for all the other replies, however the one above... Do you have to leave the administrator account logged in using Remote Desktop?

At the moment I have made a uTorrent WebUI and have it running when I log in as my uTorrent user via Remote Desktop.

When I log off within Remote Desktop (Start --> Log Off), I can't access the uTorrent web interface. The service is still running though (I can see this in the console).

I'm trying to find the instructions that I followed last night...

You need to run utorrent as a service. I think I googled for some instructions when I did it.

Back
Top Bottom