Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
I am having a strange issue when trying to install ubuntu server.

DL iso from ubuntu, use the instructions to make a usb.

Stick usb into microserver, get to the first install screen Run ubuntu from usb, install etc. When i select any option apart from memory test nothing happens the screen blinks and the menu appears again. any ideas?

Associate
I had real issues with installing Ubuntu from USB, Eventually I gave up and just plugged in a USB DVD drive (the Xbox 360 HDDVD player) instead.

Associate
Has anybody installed ECC ram

I can get this -

General
Storage Capacity: 2 GB
Upgrade Type: Generic

Memory
Type: DRAM
Technology: DDR3 SDRAM
Form Factor: DIMM 240-pin
Module Height (inch): 1.18
Memory Speed: 1333 MHz ( PC3-10600 )
Latency Timings: CL9 ( 9-9-9 )
Data Integrity Check: ECC
RAM Features: Temperature monitoring , unbuffered
Module Configuration: 256 x 72
Chips Organization: 128 x 8
Supply Voltage: 1.5 V
Lead Plating: Gold

Expansion / Connectivity
Compatible Slots: 1 x memory - DIMM 240-pin

Manufacturer Warranty
Service & Support: Limited lifetime warranty ( Germany, Austria and France - 10 years )

For £18 for 2gb does not seem bad - I presume I can then utilise the current 1gb (so 3gb)

Presuming this board is only single channel not dual channel ram capable anyway

I see that most ram (non ECC) on ocuk starts from 1.5v upwards to 1.6v - is this really suitable on this basic board?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm using 2 x 4gb sticks of KVR1333D3E9S as posts on anothr forum vouched for its compatibility, but my bios only reports 4gb. Windows shows 8gb but reports 3.66Gb useable. So i've either got dodgy ram or dodgy cpu(?) Bios on latest version.

On reflection i wish i'd bought non-value ram, but hey-ho.

Permabanned
Right, the killer question before I buy.

I will be running WHS v1 and using it for storage, backups, downloading and streaming to my PS3 using PS3 media server.

Anyone have experience of running this or a similar setup?

Is the CPU ok to handle 1080P content?

Thanks guys.

Associate
I don't like how loose the drives are when fitted, the caddies can be moved from side to side.

Also the supplied disk doesn't look all that "new"

4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 100 100 020 Old_age Always - 32
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 020 Old_age Always - 14

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't like how loose the drives are when fitted, the caddies can be moved from side to side.

Also the supplied disk doesn't look all that "new"

4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 100 100 020 Old_age Always - 32
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 020 Old_age Always - 14

Well your not going to wiggle the drives when its on, also the drive would have been tested.

What do you expect from £150 server?

Soldato
I would have bought it without the supplied drive - 250gb is pitiful anyway.

I only noticed last night that I am getting 10MB/s both using SMB and FTP (linux install). Connection is showing as gigabit (and so to, my PC) but only 10MB/s which to me seems strange and somehow I think it's only running at "100mbit"... anyone got any linux network speed examples?

Soldato
The main place that everyone seems to be getting these from has dropped their price to £235 + pnp. Don't forget that the cashback offer has been extended yet again to the end of March! :)

Associate
hi guys,
I've the hp microserver with 2 lan nic, 2 gb ram and i've installed windows server 2003 32 bit.
Everything ok, only vga ati drivers do not work, because it's impossible to find them.
Can anyone help me to find this ati driver for win 2003??
thank's in advance
media

Associate
Impressed with transfer speeds with FreeNAS and ZFS, I was going to try out a number of options but I think it has all I need, love the internal USB port.

Soldato
Thanks to Microsoft weirdness I had to do a complete Home Server re-install last night. I had been running on the trial version as I wanted to test it before committing to buy, decided I liked it so purchased a licensed copy but I couldn't activate my trial install using the product key that came with my new media. I had to do a complete reinstall which fortunately leaves the data in place but it does mean I now have to reinstall the addons and additional software I had built up. Incredibly frustrating.

Associate
Thanks to Microsoft weirdness I had to do a complete Home Server re-install last night. I had been running on the trial version as I wanted to test it before committing to buy, decided I liked it so purchased a licensed copy but I couldn't activate my trial install using the product key that came with my new media. I had to do a complete reinstall which fortunately leaves the data in place but it does mean I now have to reinstall the addons and additional software I had built up. Incredibly frustrating.

But it does say this on the website that you can't license the trial version...

How are you finding DE?

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting one of these or a Synology Disk Station.

My one query is does the HP MicroServer support the same kind of energy saving that the Synology Disk station delivers? I read that the Synology is able to hibernate until a request is made from the drive.

A bit of Googling brings up this thread (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=346154) that suggests running something with a 200w power supply could go up to about 60p a day. Also willing to listen to any flaws in the logic posted.

I realise that may be a theoretical maximum but it's something I'd like to avoid.

Also I'm unaware of how the Synology system actually works (whether its just wake on LAN that you have to setup or something) but is this functionality that FreeNas could add? I'm unable to find any reference to anything that suggest it does but I don't quite know what term I'm looking for :)

Cheers guys!
Roy

Back
Top Bottom