are talk talk that bad?

Soldato
Talk talk.are ringing me later to sort out my broadband as I currently don't have any. It's their llu service and they are charging me 30 for the line installation and then ill bee on their plus package.
It's them or bt in my area. Is bt worth the extra money or shouldn't I be worried?

Permabanned
Both as bad as each other... was with talk talk years ago. Had constant problems with them. Got rid.

Been with BT since, mostly reliable service. Slow dl rate <800kb/s and capping (especially torrents, i have to run them through a VPN to get the full speed) is annoying. Their hubs are utter crap and customer service don't know their arse from their elbow.

Can't really recommend one over the other, depends on your needs. Talk Talk may have changed a lot of the years; who knows.

Associate
A good word for TalkTalk

Been with TalkTalk 3 years now. First 2 years just telephony (Broadband was Entanet, through ADSL24)

Then took TalkTalk Plus package 15 months ago, and would happily recommend it to anyone.

OK, their phone-based Customer Service can be very hit-or-miss, but what stands TalkTalk apart from the others is their approach to forum based support. Have a look at it here:

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/index.php

TalkTalk have a dedicated team of Online Community Executives (OCEs) who work on the forum during business hours. (Mon-Fri) They not only have the knowledge, but also the clout to sort out a whole range of problems that customers may have. I think they're brilliant!

Read about them here:

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247

One word of warning - don't attempt to claim that you were told (or promised) things in a phone call, if you weren't. They will access the voice call logs, and check. I've seen folks caught out!

Soldato
OP
Well they are seriously annoying me and I'm not even with them yet. They can't seem to understand thst they cant call me before 5pm, it'll be 5 weeks before I can get online but I have to wait an.extra 15 days as they messed up my details for a reference check and can only do one even 15 days apparently. Seriously ****ed off and to top it off they have passed my mobile number onto other companies so I'm getting junk spam messages on my mobile now!

Soldato
OP
Would be an idea but....
You have to register before you can post: to do this you will need your TalkTalk telephone number and your TalkTalk account number

They have proved themselves ****ing useless, i hope their actual braodband service isn't as bad but i'm not even sure i can be bothered to find out anymore as by the time i actually get it i'll be half way through my flipping lease anyways!

Soldato
I'm on up to 8mbit with Talktalk, currently get 7mBit + 1mbit upload / download speeds, you can get their techs to attenuate your service for best results.

I have BB plus line rental plus free national and international calls for about £25 per month. I think that they are quite good and I have nothing good to recommend BT with.

Soldato
OP
Well, i got connected today and all seems well. Just got in from work and ran a speedtest on my laptop via wi-fi and got
1216719994.png

Hoping it will jump a wee bit after it beds in

Associate
If you value privacy you would ditch Talk Talk straight away. They are the only ones carrying on with Phorm type DPI interception. This time they are not in bed with the russians but the chinese.

If you run your own website you will see what a pest the talk talk "antivirus bot" is. If you are a home user you should be very concerned about what they are copying, and what they are doing with the data.

Make up your own mind.

https://nodpi.org/2010/11/24/update-stalkstalk/

Associate
If you value privacy you would ditch Talk Talk straight away. They are the only ones carrying on with Phorm type DPI interception. This time they are not in bed with the russians but the chinese.

If you run your own website you will see what a pest the talk talk "antivirus bot" is. If you are a home user you should be very concerned about what they are copying, and what they are doing with the data.

Make up your own mind.

https://nodpi.org/2010/11/24/update-stalkstalk/

TalkTalk have already stated that no personally identifiable data is collected, how true that is in the real world I don't know however I'm not as worried about this as I was when all the Phorm hype was kicking around. Also, do you really believe that all our web traffic isn't already being monitored? It's been proven that it happens in the USA and I have no doubts that GCHQ are already doing this for the UK.

And before anyone says it's not technically possible - hop over to Google and search for "Narus", they are the company behind the USA's traffic monitoring.

Been with TalkTalk 3 years now. First 2 years just telephony (Broadband was Entanet, through ADSL24)

Then took TalkTalk Plus package 15 months ago, and would happily recommend it to anyone.

OK, their phone-based Customer Service can be very hit-or-miss, but what stands TalkTalk apart from the others is their approach to forum based support. Have a look at it here:

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/index.php

TalkTalk have a dedicated team of Online Community Executives (OCEs) who work on the forum during business hours. (Mon-Fri) They not only have the knowledge, but also the clout to sort out a whole range of problems that customers may have. I think they're brilliant!

Read about them here:

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247

One word of warning - don't attempt to claim that you were told (or promised) things in a phone call, if you weren't. They will access the voice call logs, and check. I've seen folks caught out!

This is pretty much my experience with TalkTalk, terrible phone support but if you don't mind dealing via a forum then they are top notch. I've not had any bother since I got around the initial line sync problems when I first signed up - in fact I've just upgraded from Essentials to Plus :)

Associate
Kona*.

TalkTalk picked up the baton after Phorm dropped it. TT saw that BT and Phorm did not get prosecuted (and it seems they are unlikely to be so - CPS still sitting on the case after 891 days) and decided to risk it.

It's not the fact that GCHQ could / are / want to intercept user data to browse on terrorists and organised criminals. ISPs intercepting the data are selling it to third party companies, to profile people, to force feed them ads, to ultimately control their internet experience.

What is particularly uneasing is that Huawei are so heavily linked with the PLA in china. Huawei are trying to get their equipment into every corner of the UK

The ISPs (TalkTalk at Source, BT at home hubs), BT 21CN Network, even the London underground.

The last labour government planted the seeds for this. Unfortunately the current coalition are not saying 'wait a minute'.

If you are not concerned about the privacy, the ads, the deals by politicians you should be concerned that maybe, one day, we could wake up and the internet would not be there.

Soldato
OP
Well I've been with them all of 4 days and the router has broken yet it will take 5 to 7 days to send me a new one plus an extra day as I will have to pick it up from the post office............not happy

Soldato
Well we moved from Sky Broadbands Connect package to TalkTalk on Jan 31 -so far we've had a couple of disconnections but nothing at all to cause me any concern.

After the absolute farce of a service that Sky refers to as broadband, Talktalk is like a breathe of fresh air. My downstream line rate has practically doubled - I can actually view Youtube within peak times and I've noticed substantial increases when downloading. As for gaming my ping times are now much better (shame my aim in COD is still carp :() and I'm hardly every experiencing drop outs!

Having previously worked with Sky as one of their Tier3 (CST monkeys) I'm well aware their Connect service is supplied through BT's equipment, however the traffic shaping is so bad a dial up service would be quicker. My Talktalk service is LLU'd and I've never had any reason to call them :)

Associate
I belive at work our ISP is TitanADSL and they use Opal's back bone which is talk talk for their complete phone and broadband deal gets pretty good feedback on other forums 100Gb usage 3 month term not bad, although i have VM 100Mbs which is awsome.

Soldato
Yes talk talk are that bad no customer service and lies contantly to get you to sign up. When i signed up with them with the sales person that came to the door they did a line check and said I WOULD get 17meg connection what aload of rubbish the connection was a constantly going down all the time had no phone or internet for 2 weeks at one stage. The modem I got from them at the start was broken and every time i phoned I was in a queue for 45mins+ each time and when I did get through they never had a clue to what they were doing. They didnt even fix the phone or internet until I told them I was leaving then they tried to charge me for leaving thier service well they never got a a thing from me. Everyone I know that tried them has left them due to the rubbish service they got from them.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well my new one took 2 days to come after all and all is fine (royal mail even dropped it over a 7 foot gate into my back garden and it's alright, good ol' royal mail...). Bought a Home hub i'm cheap i'm gonna try and hack to keep as a spare just in case though

Back
Top Bottom