How do you cook your rice?

Soldato
I think you need to wash the rice 4-5 times before putting them in water for 45mins to 1 hour. Afterwards put them in boiling water and check after 5 mins if they have softened but still straight.

I agree with posters above that if you overcook them they break easily and stick together.

Associate
OP
It's important to wash your rice in a sieve under the tap before cooking. Also don't stir it when its boiling as that makes it sticky.

I do rince it to get rid of the starch. Must admit I do tend to stir it.

Dkore-DeX said:
I quite like sticky rice personally
Mmm don't know why im thinking of something else:eek:

bsoltan said:
Easy way:
Wash rice.
Put rice in saucepan.
Cover with water to about 2cm above the rice.
Bring to boil then turn down to low for 10-12 mins. (Water will absorb and rice will steam slightly)

Thats what I do but I must be **** at cooking if it works for you.

Caporegime
I do it this way:

- Take basmati rice.
- Rinse rice under cold water.
- Cover rice with 1.5 times volume of water to rice, season with salt.
- Boil rice from cold on full blast until the level of the water reaches the level of the rice.
- Turn down heat as low as it will go and steam for 15 minutes. Do not remove lid or stir.

Fluffy separated rice!

Associate
buy the easy cook stuff one part rice two parts water use a cup to measure

bring to boil simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat on the back burner leave lid on

after 10 minutes drain what little water there is then

let it sit (no heat) for five minutes with the lid on before serving

Last edited:
Soldato
It's taken me AGES to find out a good way to cook rice. I've read how Delia, Oliver and others do it and ended up using my mother-in-laws recepie but just tweaked slightly.

Key with rice is in the preparation.
* Soak it in warm water (not boiling) for ½ hour before you plan to cook it – this softens it slightly.
* Drain and rinse well under running cold water for a minute

White rice:
1 cup rice (typically 4 generous servings)
2 cups boiling water
I add a bunch of spices to the water at this point, pick your own (not salt)

Put in a large saucepan with a lid (lid if you want fluffy rice, without if you want sticky rice)
Whack heat on full until it starts boiling then turn down until it’s simmering well and leave (do not stir!)
Typically this takes 10 minutes or whatever the packet suggests – do not let the pan go dry
Test the rice every minute or so after this until done to your taste
You know when the rice is done when you tilt the pan and the rice slowly slides down
Take pan off the heat and set aside - leave the rice in the pan for 10+ minutes with lid on, this will make the rice fluff up

Brown rice:
1 cup rice (typically 4 generous servings)
3 cups boiling water (and a splash)
I add a bunch of spices to the water at this point, pick your own (not salt)

Put in a large saucepan with a lid (lid if you want fluffy rice, without if you want sticky rice)
Whack heat on full until it starts boiling then turn down until it’s simmering well and leave (do not stir!)
Typically this takes 22-25 minutes – do not let the pan go dry
You may well have to add water, just do ¼ cup at most at a time
You know when the rice is done when you tilt the pan and the rice slowly slides down
Take pan off the heat and set aside - leave the rice in the pan for 10+ minutes with lid on, this will make the rice fluff up

Large saucepan is important too as it gives the rice room to expand.

I cook rice at least twice a week and keep ½ in the fridge each time and reheat next day (I know a lot don’t agree with reheating rice but it is fine if warmed through slowly, leading to a good heat). It’s much nicer the day after too! Don't leave it longer than a day though.

It does take a bit of time to get but I guarantee this works. I tend to add rice to a wok which has onions, cashews etc

Last edited:
Soldato
Put rice in a pot, add boiling water, cook on gas, add soya sauce, add salt, add a dash of pepper. Boil until rice expands, drain and add to plate.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I do the reduction method.

1 part basmati rice to 1.5 parts water by volume and a sprinkle of salt. Bring to the boil, immediately cover and reduce the heat to minimum and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes. All of the water will have been absorbed by that point. Turn the heat off and let it stand for a further 10 minutes and fluff it up with a fork.

Soldato
Put rice in bowl and let soak for 30 min or so. Then wash and do the following -

1 cup rice
2 cups water
12.5 min in 800W microwave (not covered or anything)
Let sit for long as you want (at least 10 min or so) in it (do NOT open door).

Fluff up with fork. Enjoy :D

Associate
This works for me. I got it from an Indian cooking book. Its abit time consuming is the only think.

1. Weigh out the rice. I find 65g per person is about right.
2. Wash\rince the rice until the water runs clean. Leave the rice to soak for 20 mins
3. Boil kettle then add to pan, with some salt. Add the rice bring back to the boil and simmer for exatly 10 mins. The pan must be full of water don't allow it to get low.
4. After 7 mins drain the rice and cool it under cold water. Leave it to drain for half hour.
5. Put it in something, tupperware pot ect and keep it in the fidge until your ready to use it. then you just need to microwave it for 2-3mins depending on how much you have.

Man of Honour
I do the reduction method.

1 part basmati rice to 1.5 parts water by volume and a sprinkle of salt. Bring to the boil, immediately cover and reduce the heat to minimum and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes. All of the water will have been absorbed by that point. Turn the heat off and let it stand for a further 10 minutes and fluff it up with a fork.

exactly - works every time

If doing a pilau or something you can fry the onion, spices, etc. and then do exactly as above with the same great results.

Man of Honour
The way I do it is:

Wash rice with cold water
Put the rice in pan with cold water
Bring to boil
Then lower flame to simmer
Before it's cooked I boil a kettle of water
Then just before it's fully cooked take it off the heat and drain (depending on what sort of rice this will take different times)
Pour boiling water of kettle over it (help rinse away more starch)
Put back in the pan with a nob of butter and stir
Cover pan for a few minutes, the steam helps soften the rice a little whilst keeping it fluffy.

Works well for me this way. :)

Back
Top Bottom