Earthquake in Japan....9.0...ouch!

Caporegime
These things have a weird tendancy to go in groups, but its far from the worst set of disasters in terms of scale, IIRC around 65million years ago there was 2 major asteroid strikes and several major volcanic eruptions within a fairly short period the like of which has not been recorded since.

When you say fairly you mean several million years, we could easily be in the middle of one of those periods now (not that I believe that). Earthquakes do tend to swarm though due to the movement of strain along the fault planes, they don't generally react to earthquakes the other side of the world though (say for example this and the NZ one being "related". ie they are very unlikely to be).

I just had a look to see if I could see any papers on earthquake frequency but couldn't find anything ubfortunately. I'll see if I can find anything on volcanoes.

Soldato
Reuters

FLASH: Japan's nuclear safety agency says Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant No. 3 reactor's emergency cooling system not functioning :o:eek:

I would have thought it has been cooled down after the shutdown already?

Prolly a lot more in that time period in perspective against how long ago it was but 2 of the biggest impacts (not including the period ~4billion years ago when the earth was still somewhat in formation) are believed to be very close to each other back around 65 million years ago (one of them Chicxulub) both of which had ~350,000 more energy than the quake off Japan, so in terms of end of days it has quite a way to go yet.

I'm interested in that second impact, haven't found anything interesting about it yet.

Earthquakes are in no way comparable to asteroid impacts though. The latter are much less frequent and much more destructive.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not knowledgeable on these Nuclear power stations, but is it possible to have the control rods once inserted fail? i.e they might break up in the core? If so would that mean that fission could start up again?

Just saw your post PhillyDee, I thought they, SCRAM (whatever term they use) the core when the safety systems detect any sizeable earthquake, I assumed this meant that the control rods stop fission leaving just the decay as a source of heat in the core?

Soldato
I was going to ask one of the chaps in the industry, what is the residual heat in these things once the reaction has stopped ? And how long does it last?

Soldato
I was going to ask one of the chaps in the industry, what is the residual heat in these things once the reaction has stopped ? And how long does it last?

I've been hearing from "experts" on the news daily saying things like, 10% of the heat from the reactor comes from decay of isotopes generated in the core and that it drops off after a few days.

Soldato
2 Esdras 9

More about the Signs of the End

9He answered me and said, ‘Measure carefully in your mind, and when you see that some of the predicted signs have occurred, 2then you will know that it is the very time when the Most High is about to visit the world that he has made. 3So when there shall appear in the world earthquakes, tumult of peoples, intrigues of nations, wavering of leaders, confusion of princes, 4then you will know that it was of these that the Most High spoke from the days that were of old, from the beginning. 5For just as with everything that has occurred in the world, the beginning is evident,* and the end manifest; 6so also are the times of the Most High: the beginnings are manifest in wonders and mighty works, and the end in penalties* and in signs.

7 ‘It shall be that all who will be saved and will be able to escape on account of their works, or on account of the faith by which they have believed, 8will survive the dangers that have been predicted, and will see my salvation in my land and within my borders, which I have sanctified for myself from the beginning. 9Then those who have now abused my ways shall be amazed, and those who have rejected them with contempt shall live in torments. 10For as many as did not acknowledge me in their lifetime, though they received my benefits, 11and as many as scorned my law while they still had freedom, and did not understand but despised it* while an opportunity of repentance was still open to them, 12these must in torment acknowledge it* after death. 13Therefore, do not continue to be curious about how the ungodly will be punished; but inquire how the righteous will be saved, those to whom the age belongs and for whose sake the age was made.’*

Associate
3So when there shall appear in the world earthquakes, tumult of peoples, intrigues of nations, wavering of leaders, confusion of princes,

im half tempted just to ignore you... not i have nothing wrong with religeon and still consider myself religeous, but this verse proves our points- earthquakes, tumult of peoples, wavering of leaders,... these are all things that have always happened.....

religeous types can be so self righteous, think the rest of the world is blind, and that it is all so clear... and i was once a very very religeous person, but as i've grown up, i've discovered the false preachings and sheer lies that some religous people have tried to teach me, its all good natured, people believe they are trying to help you, but its the arrogance that surrounds it that seriously annoys me..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I would have thought it has been cooled down after the shutdown already?

I'm interested in that second impact, haven't found anything interesting about it yet.

Earthquakes are in no way comparable to asteroid impacts though. The latter are much less frequent and much more destructive.

Was just talking "end times" signs in general, there was a period back about then with lots of violent earthquakes, asteroid impacts, major volcanic eruptions, etc. which dwarf the events we've seen over the past year or 2 and we are still here.

Man of Honour
is there an issue with fallout? What is the half-life on this kind of fallout and will it reach western US landfall?

With anything we are realistically likely to see short of something major happening we are talk at worst along the lines of low grade dirty bomb, maybe a couple of km with a moderate level of toxicity, some moderate health issues in the surrounding area, possible a little wind blown resulting in irritation and (mostly) minor health issues, probably no immediate fatalities outside the plant itself and moderate long term effects for anyone living in the surrounding area (birth defects, higher risk of cancer type conditions, etc.).

Soldato
what is it with British News Channels you watch RT News, Al jazeera, france24 etc are all showing other news yet our news has a ghoulish fascination with the tsunami at expense of all other news.

Back
Top Bottom