ns1000s plus xonar dg- BOOM

Associate
Biggest drawback in games now i that I can hear the sounds start and stop as if they are being played in media player- its that clear. The sniper bolt clicking in bc2 is immense, cant wait to play through crysis warhead with it.

Few issues though-

-is a maxed xonar dg amp enough? Do I need an e5? Suspect it would help but please do not advise unless you know.

-I have been getting issues with the sealed cups, I have a big head, with the ns fully extended it still clamps my head a bit, sealed cups cause my eardrums to get uncomfortable- will it stretch given time?

-the cable is meant for walkmans, not pcs and is 1m long, sorry I mean 1m short- what is the best extension cable that will still fit in the narrow headphone input?

-oh, and would I really see am improvment over the dg with a higher end soundcard- If I had one grumble the sound isnt giving the punch I expected, its early days and I am purely on headphones, but I expected more oomf, not so much base but, well...oomf. I have no issues replacing the dg, got it as a stand in whilst I learn whats what in sound.

Thank you very much for any advice, special thanks to Global_Inferno for his blog, really helped and would recommend reading it for any audio noobs like myself.

Last edited:
Associate
1) No the DG is no where near enough for the NS1000s (unless you have the ANR turned on on the headphones). The E5 is recommended here for a reason ;)

2) I never found the NS1000s to be a problem clamping wise, but the DR150s were and they did ease up after time, either way though you'll get more used to it as well so you shouldn't notice it so bad after a while.

3) I believe I recommended you the Fisual cable in your other thread, that still stands. Fisual 3m jack to jack from audiovisualonline.

4) Possibly, some people won't notice any difference others will notice a massive difference, we can't tell you one way or the other. I suspect your major complaints is the lack of compatible amp as most others here have no complaints.

Associate
OP
EDIT; thanks for the reply, will bag an amp and cable.

...more importantly need help with this- in bc2 I am getting a fuzzy crackling in the right earpiece, the one (EDITED) attached to the battery. Anyone else experienced this, happens at a very specific base note.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yea, its coming out a lot more now...crackling at a certain frequency on the right earpiece. rma time?

tried front and back, various audios, noise cancellation on and off, when it hits a frequency most often hit by dubstep or bc2 it crackles in the right piece only.

Absolutley wounded, left piece is fine, right buzzes at a very specific bass note.

Last edited:
Soldato
EDIT; thanks for the reply, will bag an amp and cable. If I sound like a noob its cos I am!

...more importantly need help with this- in bc2 I am getting a fuzzy crackling in the right earpiece, the one not attached to the battery. Anyone else experienced this, happens at a very specific base note.

Are you sure? The left driver is next to the ANR switch and cable, the right driver is next to the battery slot. Have you not gotten it mixed up somehow?

I've noticed the crackling a few times during the past several months I've been using Goldrings. It may be the sign of battery dying.

Caporegime
EDIT; thanks for the reply, will bag an amp and cable. If I sound like a noob its cos I am!

...more importantly need help with this- in bc2 I am getting a fuzzy crackling in the right earpiece, the one not attached to the battery. Anyone else experienced this, happens at a very specific base note.

E5 comes with a lead to the pc so I found that was then long enough to connect from the back of the pc soundcard and have the e5 sat on top of the computer which then makes the sill short headphone lead long enough.

Depends on your pc position but you might not need to buy an extension lead.

Associate
E5 comes with a lead to the pc so I found that was then long enough to connect

True that, gives you about 1.6m of cable to play with in total, although for me having my PC on the floor and using the front panel, that meant the amp had to 'float' which gave the headphones a weighted feel. For £5 I'd just bag the cable anyway because you never know when an extra 3m might come in handy.

Associate
OP
Utterly bizarre issue, have located the source of a lot of the problem. It happens and is apparent even with the headphones unplugged with the battery out.

Symptoms-

-left earpiece shows none of the below.
-on heavy bass there seems to be a resonance at certain frequencies.
-if i so much as move my head or even clamp my jaw (so the muscles near the pad flex out and make the earpiece move) I get what I can only describe as a mini crackle. Happens even with headphones unplugged and unpowered.

If anyone could help it would be appreciated. It sounds like one of the speakers isnt right, left ear is nothing like the right. Is this just the speakers bedding in?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Superfi, I have spend all night trying to figure what it is. Best way to pin it down is that if I put the headset on and tap the left ear...nothing happens.

I tap the right ear I hear a vibration. I am a noob in audio but that isnt right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1hLduV1p88

Perfect in left ear.

Fubar in right ear.

Very specifc bass combo causes a static crackling. No grumbles on build quality they look and feel good, and 1m cable means these arent the play batch, music is ace, but what it sounds like is a stray part causing a resonance at very low frequencies i.e. some parts of dubstep bass or even my head moving too fast.

I dont know. All I know is the set sounds good in a lot of cases but if it crackles when it isnt even powered in just one ear, with the other ear not doing it; there is a problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
They must be faulty, the issues described don't sound right to me. AFAIK, this is the first pair that have been bought from SuperFi that appear to be faulty, at least the first to be mentioned anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yea, its the first time I have ever bought a duff part or had something go faulty on me. Seems my lucks up.

In goldring's defence even if they had been given a testing its hard to notice until you use them and if I was deaf in one ear they would be superb :)

Bit miffed at superfi, emailed sales, got a response back at 07.41am telling me to email returns, returns advise they might take 5 days to respond. Called them and the bloke on the phone said that they would send a pre paid bag to return them but this was a pure email jobbie- he couldnt do it. Going through dsr if I wait 5 days my time is up, he said that as I had requested now that wasnt a problem as I had made my request within the time frame. Emailed returns and rather than an instant response I had no reply today.

Dont want to be an arsy customer but I also dont want to have to leave my 60 odd quid hanging about in an rma when I have a clear option to just send em back.

Doesnt dsr mean I have to send them within 7 working days not tell them I want to?

Soldato
I think you can only return them under the DSR, if the goods are un-used, and not wanted. If I'm correct, returning used or opened products under the DSR for a refund, will incur a restocking fee or charges. If you are returning them for a replacement, I don't think the DSR applies, as you haven't changed your mind about wanting the product. DSR, as far as buying off the internet goes, is for people who buy something, then change their mind once in possession of the item.

If the item is faulty, I would have thought it possible to get a refund even if outside the 7 days.

Associate
The DSR is basically to allow a customer to have something in their hands then decide if they want it, there is no restocking fee and it can be returned opened as long as it's in a sell-able condition. You also have to initiate the DSR within 7 days starting the day after you receive the item in question. E-mailing asking to return the item is initiating it so the company can take their time but still must honour it.

Soldato
The DSR is basically to allow a customer to have something in their hands then decide if they want it, there is no restocking fee and it can be returned opened as long as it's in a sell-able condition. You also have to initiate the DSR within 7 days starting the day after you receive the item in question. E-mailing asking to return the item is initiating it so the company can take their time but still must honour it.

I think returning under the DSR, of opened and used products, any fee depends on the company. I've seen many state if the item is open and used, a restocking fee will apply.

Back
Top Bottom