How to spend a day in Edinburgh?

Commissario
Looks like the Castle and Gusto are definitely on the list of things to do, possibly the zoo although mixed opinions here.

Associate
My boss raves about how good Gusto is, I might book a table there for my girlfriends birthday thinking about it :)

I wouldn't bother if I were you. Overpriced and totally average food by Edinburgh's standards.

To answer the OP, if you have a day or half a day, I'd go to Mary Kings Close (as above) or Dynamic Earth. Zoo is worth a visit and is cetainly not as bad as has been made out.

Soldato
I wouldn't bother if I were you. Overpriced and totally average food by Edinburgh's standards.

To answer the OP, if you have a day or half a day, I'd go to Mary Kings Close (as above) or Dynamic Earth. Zoo is worth a visit and is cetainly not as bad as has been made out.

Care to name better? And I disagree.

Associate
Care to name better? And I disagree.

Sure, how many do you want?

Centotre - George Street
Dusit - Thistle Street
Le Petit Folie - Randolph Place or Frederick Street
Angels with Bagpipes - Royal Mile
Castle Terrace - Castle Terrace
The Outsider - George IV Bridge
Ondine - George IV Bridge

Wide range of price there but all quality and much better than some chain restaurant paying too much rent on George Street. I could list many more.

I know food is subjective, but you really can do much better than that in Edinburgh. There's 5 Michelin Starred restaurants (none above) where you can get fantastic value for lunch for example.

Soldato
Sure, how many do you want?

Centotre - George Street
Dusit - Thistle Street
Le Petit Folie - Randolph Place or Frederick Street
Angels with Bagpipes - Royal Mile
Castle Terrace - Castle Terrace
The Outsider - George IV Bridge
Ondine - George IV Bridge

Wide range of price there but all quality and much better than some chain restaurant paying too much rent on George Street. I could list many more.

I know food is subjective, but you really can do much better than that in Edinburgh. There's 5 Michelin Starred restaurants (none above) where you can get fantastic value for lunch for example.

Can you list some places you would recommend in the £50-£60 price bracket for 2 courses not including drinks? :)

Soldato
right now it's chucking with rain. But there is plenty to do if your kicking about for an afternoon.

I'd suggest the tour busses - you can grab one from just outside Waverly train station and takes about 90mins I think to go round everything. George Street and surrounding area is good for some high end shops, and there are loads of bars and such in this area too.

Tuesday night - check out Indigo yard or any of the surrounding bars for dinner and drinks etc. Dusit is a brilliant Thai restaraunt if you fancy that (thistle street) or Fishers for a decent meal (does excellent steaks IMO) just across the road from Dusit.

Everything is pretty central and easy to get around.

Associate
Yes for me and my girlfriend.

OK, bit out in the sticks but Rhubarb at Prestonfield House is a very nice place to eat in beautiful surroundings (watch the Peacocks but ignore Niddrie next door, lol).

You'll never get a full a la carte dinner at that price (more like £80 + drinks) but I'm sure all James Thompson's restaurants (The Witchery, The Tower & Rhubarb) do the £30 for 3 courses deal. Rhubarb website is here and the offer is on the bottom right.

Again, all the Michelin starred restaurants (21212, Ploomed Horse, Wisharts, The Kitchen and the Balmoral) all do very affordable lunch menu's but you will pay more in the evening.

For an evening meal close to town, my personal choices in that price bracket would be:

The Outsider - for quirky, tasty and cost effective. Less "special" surroundings but good food.

Le Petit Folie - go to the upper floor in Randolph Place - lovely room - seasonal fare at reasonable prices - best in winter IMO.

Paris - restaurant upstairs in Le Monde on George Street - again lovely space for a romantic meal - haven't seen the prices recently though.

Fishers in Leith (not Thistle Street) - great seafood, not as good as Ondine, but slightly cheaper.

Iris - Thistle street - modern but good solid food.

I could name more but run out of time!

Soldato

Fishers in Leith (not Thistle Street) - great seafood, not as good as Ondine, but slightly cheaper.

Intruiged, I've been to both a few times, and haven't determined any difference in quality. What is it you prefer about the shore one? Just wondering, quite likely I've overlooked some obvious thing lol :p

Associate
Intruiged, I've been to both a few times, and haven't determined any difference in quality. What is it you prefer about the shore one? Just wondering, quite likely I've overlooked some obvious thing lol :p

Just tend to find it a wee bit cheaper mate, better atmosphere too IMO, particularly if you sit in the dark bar area.

Never had bad meal from Thistle Street, average, yes, but not bad. Could be down to my menu choice though.

OT, but to you have/used to have a black 320D? If so, I met you at another forum meet years ago!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the tips :)

Looks like the museum and/or castle are on my itinerary, and the gardens too.

Looking for somewhere not too pricey to eat in the evening (probably no more than £10 for a main) and ideally somewhere casual I can chill out for a bit as well without looking too out of place on my own :p A pub-restaurant or something perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom