Photograph Silhouettes - How?

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Hi all,

I've got to take pictures of Silhouettes for college but I've never done this before. how does one achieve it & can a flash be used?

Soldato
personally I would use spot metering, I'd meter for the brightest part of the image, then the darkest part would be silhouetted (assuming there's enough contrast between light and dark)

Caporegime
Expose for the brighter image areas. Or use matrix metering and under expose by a couple of stops. It is something very easy to rectify in processing once you are close.

Soldato
Depends on what you want to achieve, but, put the subject in front of a background that will expose at a different f - stop.

Meter for the background.

Flash will only be of use if you want a "negative" silhouette. i.e. subject exposed, background under exposed.

Soldato
Given that it's for college, I think it would be a more useful learning experience for the OP if he didn't use RAW and actually experimented with different physical lighting.

Associate
still shoot in raw though - but get it right in shot :)

Sunset can give a nice silhouette, moon light or flash (white light) will give a creepy effect.

Just make sure your subject isn't lit or reflected from any flash or lighting, be sure to pick an interesting backgroung but one that is plain enough to display the shape of your silhouette.

Soldato
To get a good silhouette you will need about 3+ stops difference between the background and the subject. If it's college you should be able to get your hands on a light meter get one as it will help you understand it all.

Meter the subject - lets say you get 1/125 at F2.8 and ISO 100. Now you need to get the background to meter 3 stops more so aim at 1/125 at F8 and ISO 100. So up the level of light until you get that and shoot.

If you are not using studio lighting you will need to make sure that the subject is standing in front of a bright light source like a big window but you will also need to make sure the subject is not well lit otherwise you will struggle to get the 3+ stops difference.

Good luck - and post some results.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom