Dissertation request

Associate
Hello all,

As some may have read in this section I am currently working on my final year project for university. This is essentially a content management system I have created for my university radio station with a few bells and whistles thrown in.

I was wondering if anyone had a dissertation based in a similar field I could have a look at? I asked my project supervisor a long time ago and he gave me a past project dissertation but it was massively technical and didnt follow the typical structure at all. He even agreed later it wouldnt be of much use to me, of course by then he had given away all his other available dissertations that would be remotely similar.

I have also asked a few other lecturers but they seem to be pretty much out of past dissertations due to students from my year asking for them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Associate
OP
Yeah essentially my client is my university radio station. For them im creating a new website and a custom CMS to manage data entry etc for the website. There will be a few additions to this such as a forum tie-in etc

Im doing it in PHP but its not really important, basically I just need a project with solid structure which hopefully received decent marks as well. I've written a decent bit but structural guidance is extremely limited so I dont really know what they're looking for.

Soldato
I'll try to dig mine out of you like - was for an ecommerce system with the focus on content management/ease of use for customers and the store owner (the actual shop only used paypal payments standard with a bit of ipn). With documenttation included, it ended up at 23,000 words - would never ever wish to write that much about anything again :)

Was advised by by lecturer at the time not to do a straight ecommerce store, focus on a particular area of it.

Associate
OP
I'll try to dig mine out of you like - was for an ecommerce system with the focus on content management/ease of use for customers and the store owner (the actual shop only used paypal payments standard with a bit of ipn). With documenttation included, it ended up at 23,000 words - would never ever wish to write that much about anything again :)

Was advised by by lecturer at the time not to do a straight ecommerce store, focus on a particular area of it.

That'd be fantastic to look at if possible mate, I assume you got a half-decent mark?

Associate
One thing you have to remember is that there will be 100's of eCommerce, CMS and Website related projects/dissertations from students doing BSc course and to stand above the rest your written dissertation has to be top notch.

The code documentation and actual development of the CMS is the least important part of the project.

The most important part of the project is to show why your aim/idea of creating custom CMS for Radio station would benefit them, and to support this you will need to research into the current workflow of the Radio station and listeners/website visitors. You will also need to outline which type of languages you will be using and why.

Then there is the technical bit of how the website is going to be setup including hosting, server configuration, programming languages, interactivity, usability, accessibility.

Then you have to carry out various usage test and capture the results.

Finally in your conclusion you have to be brutally honest if the initial idea/aim of the project proved successful or if it didn't turn out as you had hoped, explain why and show stats, and how you can make it better if you had to do the project again.

If you can cover all these points then you will get good mark.

Associate
OP
One thing you have to remember is that there will be 100's of eCommerce, CMS and Website related projects/dissertations from students doing BSc course and to stand above the rest your written dissertation has to be top notch.

The code documentation and actual development of the CMS is the least important part of the project.

The most important part of the project is to show why your aim/idea of creating custom CMS for Radio station would benefit them, and to support this you will need to research into the current workflow of the Radio station and listeners/website visitors. You will also need to outline which type of languages you will be using and why.

Then there is the technical bit of how the website is going to be setup including hosting, server configuration, programming languages, interactivity, usability, accessibility.

Then you have to carry out various usage test and capture the results.

Finally in your conclusion you have to be brutally honest if the initial idea/aim of the project proved successful or if it didn't turn out as you had hoped, explain why and show stats, and how you can make it better if you had to do the project again.

If you can cover all these points then you will get good mark.

Thanks for that nolimit, you raise a lot of great points i've taken note of and I do realise a lot of the dissertation is about showing why you have done things as well as proving/showing the benefit your actions have had.

Has anyone sourced a dissertation yet? Im keen to structure what I have properly as soon as possible so I can have my supervisor critque it. Also still dealing with my uni in trying to source a sample dissertation

Associate
OP
Is it common practice to rip off other peoples?

It would be impossible to rip off someone elses as my project is entirely individual with a real client, as I imagine most other peoples are. The information provided by my university for what exactly they want in it is lacking so im looking for some help here on top of chasing up the uni still for further info

Back
Top Bottom