BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Yay, finally connected to fibre. Was on 3.5Mb
now.

1214382216.png

Although I should be on about 38.5 Mb says the engineer. Hope it speeds up!

Looking good! What was your estimated speed? I'm estimated at 30.8Mb, anything over 30 and i'll be happy, heck, anything over 10Mb and i'll be ecstatic after 0.5Mb for the last few years. 2 days to go! :D

Associate
just so u know my infinity went in last week and worked ok, tonight theres an outage !! 01270 area has been hit, luckily sky is still live on my other line. this takes it really. I'm a pc engineer and I've checked everything, pings are dropping 50% but dns is ok, BUT I STILL had to sit through the "have you turned it off and on again"

it took the engineer about 2 hrs to install mine with a new line, the first homehub was DOA, also it says GB on the back of it but my NAS only detects 10/100, works at 1GB in my GB switch.

overall not happy with the service, especially since I've recieved my first bill today and they're charging 3month BB and line rental up front.

Associate
38,718kbps at a guess.
That's what I suspect but the max thoughput on that profile is 37.5Mbps, however the engineer said he should get 38.5. I've not seen a higher IP Profile than 38718 so either the engineer is quoting ip profile or a higher profile is possible or he is confused ;)

Associate
Thanks Griff, I thought that would be the case. I thought the artificial cap was BTR's though and BTW's was 40000. btw I'm not too far from you, just the other side of wolvo. I might pop round and swipe your C300, when are you out :p

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Is it possible to use the Infinity infrastructure but a different provider? I guess you would need to get the kit installed by BT regardless?

Yes. It's the same as LLU in that regard.

There are already a few independent ISPs offering fibre, TitalADSL and ADSL24 for example.

Associate
OP
Today is the day finally (after several screw ups with the BT order!).

Guy number 1 has been and connected us back to BT (from Virgin). Bit odd as I can receive calls but not make out bound. Only realised this after he had left. Will try again in an hour and see..

Interestingly he showed me how the extension wiring (with 2 phones on only) is pulling a lot of power as the dial tone is quieter when using the plug on the front of the face plate (extension wired in directly behind face plate). If you plug directly in to the master socket underneath (so faceplate and extension unplugged) it is very loud. Do you reckon this would cause us major issues with the Infinity? (waiting for the 2nd guy to do that to turn up this afternoon..). Audio level on phones is fine, sounds like it always has to me, so fine to the human ear. Obviously *DSL is a lot more sensitive though..

Associate
OP
Argh. Why do these things always go wrong for me?

I have found that with the faceplate on (and so the extension that is wired into the back of it, not plugged in the front active) the phone is acting *very* odd. If I plug the phone in to the master socket all is fine!

Now keep in mind this extension wiring was working fine before, it has just been wired in to a new faceplate. It was actually Virgin before but they cheekily used the oooold old BT box and not their own (BT have replaced the front of this though).

I can:
- Receive calls
- I once managed to call 0800800150 (BT customer service number) but it didn't recognise me pressing any numbers
- Normally just comes up with 'number not recognised' or some times a long beeeeeeep after a few buttons are pressed.

Still waiting for the internet/Infinity man but suspect he will be able to do bugger all..

Any chance the BT bloke earlier has *&$£ up wiring the extension to the face plate? I'm not a stranger to network cabling/patching so I am off to Google what he should have done and what has been done...

Associate
OP
Wiring looks fine (no obvious screw ups!).

Suspect they'll just not want to know as it's internal. It worked fine before they came and rewired it in to a new fact plate though!! :| Grrrr.

BTW the BT guy did comment as I explained above about the extension wiring making it quieter but didn't identify any problems. Just quieter to the human ear (sounds the same to me!) and may cause a problem to the VDSL/Infinity.

Unless I manage to get the broadband guy to do something I'll just get him to plug in the filter in the master socket! Shall at least try and wangle a faceplate out of him if he has one and won't refit it incase that's at fault.

Thinking about it... could it have been wired to an ooooold standard before? The old wiring and box were older than BT its self and labeled just telecom or something. Virgin were cheeky before and just ran their wire to a junction/fuse thing above the front door and didn't touch the box!

Last edited:
Soldato
1216527729.png

Finally!
Coming from the 'up to 20mb' service which i suffered 10+ disconnects every day and thus speeds of around 1mb/s which were pants :(

Big improvement :)

Back
Top Bottom