Noobie review of Hitachi LCD

Soldato
Does the DVI connection make a big difference?

I hear it dont if u own a fairly new card like the GF4 or 9700... but since DVI connectors are only available on expensive LCDS like £450-500 and higher, hard for us cheapos to find out!

Soldato
Re: im interested....

Originally posted by [die]Deadly
there are two other things that still confuse me. The 171p claims 16.7mil colours (which i believe is 32bit colour), whereas the hitachi claims 262K, which is far lower than 16.7mil.
Also, the refresh rates.

nah the hitachi is 16million colours too. And that is 24bit.. so just enough to make them lovely winxp icons look sweet ;)

Soldato
Re: Re: yes you can

Originally posted by jaqdabadman
Ok i maybe wrong, but i dont think changing the refresh rates will cause less ghosting to occur

[ed] On TFTs the pixels are either on or off, they do not get refreshed and therefore the value of 60Hz is not important for LCD monitors

The refresh rate is also how many frames are being sent down the wire to the monitor every second. So the higher the refresh rate, the more up to date the latest frame will be in the LCD's memory.

A low refresh rate will reduce the pixel clock speed, and so "redrawing" on the LCD will be slower - if you drag a window around fast enough you should be able to see the LCD redrawing block by block.

On an unrelated note.. There is a Sharp LCD which detects when a pixel is dead (or subpixel) and it will turn the pixel off so you don't get multi colours, just a black dot.. and if its just a dead sub-pixel, it attempts to match the pixel to the closest neighbour. Good thinking on Sharp's part, i bet them few lines of code in the LCD's firmware is saving them an arm and leg on production costs, ie: returns.. ! I learnt this from the hardocp forum, so do i a search there if anyone's interested..

Associate
Re: Re: Re: yes you can

Originally posted by nathan_e
On an unrelated note.. There is a Sharp LCD which detects when a pixel is dead (or subpixel) and it will turn the pixel off so you don't get multi colours, just a black dot.. and if its just a dead sub-pixel, it attempts to match the pixel to the closest neighbour. Good thinking on Sharp's part, i bet them few lines of code in the LCD's firmware is saving them an arm and leg on production costs, ie: returns.. ! I learnt this from the hardocp forum, so do i a search there if anyone's interested..

Hmm, this doesnt sound great. If other manufacturers follow, the limits to how many dead pixels is acceptable may increase. A better move would be to increase the quality of production, therefore cutting out dead pixels IMO

Associate
thanks for clearing that up

i knew there was a reason why 75hz would be better
cheers for confirming the colours

as for refresh rates, hitachi does support 75hz - i just checked out the horizontal and vertical refresh rates and set my crt to them at 1280x1024 and it is spot on 75hz.

The sharp firmware still means dead pixels stay black, and it only partly solves the sub-pixel problem
it is no substitute to production quality, which is still improving - you must remember that CRT has a 100 year or so headstart on TFT, which is still very new....

Last edited:
Permabanned
What CRT are you comparing it with? oO

I have a Hansol and a Sony CRT for graphics and the black is black (eg black as the border around the screen), no ghosting at all.

I also have the Apples "movie and graphics" 20inch or whatever it is tft and a Sony tft (which won a fair few awards for video editing, games and graphics design, was rated about 3-5 of 80 TFTs.

They are all side by side on meh desk and the quality of even these highly rated TFTs are very poor against a the CRTs. Saying that the Apple one doesnt appear to have ghosting problems during DVDs, not tried games on it. Sony clearly has ghosting problems.

Just a view point from a graphic designer and technical developer working on them daily and playing on them nightly ;)

Soldato
Originally posted by Ghosty

TFTs are very poor against a the CRTs. Saying that the Apple one doesnt appear to have ghosting problems during DVDs, not tried games on it. Sony clearly has ghosting problems.

Just a view point from a graphic designer and technical developer working on them daily and playing on them nightly ;)

Blasphemy !

Associate
Demon: Does the Hitachi have those brighter lines at the top and bottom of the screen - not too much of a problem if it does, just wondering...
:)

Soldato
OP
Hitman, not sure what you mean by brighter lines? It hasn't got any visible brightness aborations that I can see.
The viewing angles are good for an LCD, and seem exactly the same as the 172T...

Ghosty,
I have a Hansol 925D (19" CRT), a Sony HMDA200(17" CRT), a Samsung 172T (LCD), Hitachi CML174 (of course), and in work have access to some pretty top end 21" CRT NEC graphics quality monitors.

In my appraisal of them side by side, the only critical thng I can find that isn't in the LCD's favour is the mouse pointer smearing. With the perfect focus/converfence/geometry DVI connection, the CRT's look a little out of focus and shabby in comparison. I am ignoring viewing angles/ghosting since I sit in front of my monitor, and the ghosting thing is so minimal on the Hitachi, its only noticeable to the critic.

As for the black level, the v bright Hitachi, with its good contrast ratio makes blacks look blacker then black to the eye, since it references black relative to the white level, which is high, I know that displaying a black desktop with the lights out looks worse on the LCD compared to the CRT, but the relative black level in normal use , to the eye, is a match to a CRT.. you'd have to see it to see how good it is.

I think for me, thats what I like about these newer LCD's, technically, on paper, they may lack in their colour/black level performance, but to the eye, in normal use, they do the job more then adequately.

Soldato
Originally posted by Demon

As for the black level, the v bright Hitachi, with its good contrast ratio makes blacks look blacker then black to the eye, since it references black relative to the white level, which is high, I know that displaying a black desktop with the lights out looks worse on the LCD compared to the CRT, but the relative black level in normal use , to the eye, is a match to a CRT.. you'd have to see it to see how good it is.

I think for me, thats what I like about these newer LCD's, technically, on paper, they may lack in their colour/black level performance, but to the eye, in normal use, they do the job more then adequately.

For someone who sits in the dark @ 2am in the morning surfing/playing games and has a Black desktop colour do u think its a good idea to go with the Hitachi 17inch one?

Back
Top Bottom