Associate
Im sooo jealous :(

Your not the only one mate!

1218284996.png

:(

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

3) I was careful with the choice of screwdriver ;) I needed to get the phones working though (having no proper phones until BT bothered to show up again wasn't an option) and I knew if something went wrong there was nothing that couldn't easily be sorted (re do the wiring/another faceplate!). It won't matter any way when an ADSL plate gets fitted as it will only be re-wired again :)

Again not having a go - just a good bit of banter!

The way the IDC terminals on the faceplates work is by clamping and cutting in to the core of the wire.

By jamming a screwdriver in, you've moved the blades further apart, so they won't "clamp" at the same pressure. Only an IDC punchdown tool should be used, a rewire (using the same faceplate), even with the right tool now may not help. You need a full new faceplate.

Probably not a problem at this point as he'll sort you out, but worth noting in the future if you want to do any extension wiring :)

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
OK not 100% im sure some of it is on ZENs network but I cant see why anyone would want to pay twice as much as BT plus an activation fee for pretty much the same product.

OK so we all hate BT and traffic management etc but twice as much how can that justified?

Some of us would like a real broadband connection with as little BT crap as possible.

Ordered - installation date not until May!

Might want to get the date checked as it shouldn't take that long if the cab is live.

Soldato
OK so we all hate BT and traffic management etc but twice as much how can that justified?
Totally worth it on market1 exchanges. When your connection is effectively unusable to the point of not being able to play multiplayer games (triple digit pings and double digit packet loss) or even stream SD youtube vids from 5pm until after midnight, cheap ISP's don't feel like such good value.
I don't enjoy paying so much more than i used to, but the extra 50p a day seems like good value to actually be able to use my connection when I'm home.

BT doesn't care about rural people :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
They never called back - not surprised - 3rd call back for different issues that hasn't happened.

BT have only cancelled the broadband order! The 'Order management' desk (who clearly needs to go on some management courses! ;)) went home just before I called so nothing more I can be told or done tonight!

Unless they pull their finger out first thing tomorrow when I call back, back to Virgin we go! Bad as they are as well, I've had enough.

Soldato
I got 1st of april but only at the very end I had selected 31st of march but somebody beat me to it while i was fighting with BTs refussal to take my credit card.

They also refussed to accept my old BT email address and password even though it all works fine for everything but the sign up site. Im guessing thats something to do with my OLD bt account being Openworld back at the start of ADSL.

I hope the engineer is more reliable than they were in 2000 when it took 4 or 5 attempts.

BTs biggest probelm is its such a fragmented company and they work more against each other than together.

Associate
They never called back - not surprised - 3rd call back for different issues that hasn't happened.
That's why I say use their forum/moderator team. People who have had similar experience to yours got everything sorted the way it should have been done in the first place. Once a moderator picks up your case you will get call backs and follow ups untill the problems solved and your happy.

It was plain sailing for me, ordered, hub turned up early, engineer turned up on time and I was up and running no problems. It can and does go wrong sometimes like your case but there is a way out and it is worth it IMO, once your connected and it works you can't beat it.

They offer the best deal atm but there are compromises as a result. I would probably have ran out of patients if I was you by now too.

Strangely at around 2am tonight for about an hour my speed went up about 1Mbit to 38.5, it's never been that high, always been 37.5.

85582331.png

usually:
85354511.png

My IP Profile is the same 38717.

Last edited:
Soldato
The way the IDC terminals on the faceplates work is by clamping and cutting in to the core of the wire.

By jamming a screwdriver in, you've moved the blades further apart, so they won't "clamp" at the same pressure. Only an IDC punchdown tool should be used, a rewire (using the same faceplate), even with the right tool now may not help. You need a full new faceplate.

Probably not a problem at this point as he'll sort you out, but worth noting in the future if you want to do any extension wiring :)

Because being a female network engineer she's obviously too stupid to realise that taking a small bladed screwdriver and sliding it down the edge of the IDC "teeth" (as in tip of screwdriver flat against the teeth with the cable under it, basically like 1 half of the punch tool) it's able to clamp the cable as normal. She's just a "bird" with a butter knife and no clue, right?

Soldato
Are you guys that are getting Infinity already with BT and have their phone line? I'm not with BT and there's a FTTC Cab about 500m from my home but the BT address checker says I can't get it. Just wondered if they looked at BT customers first when allocating FTTC. I'm sure that's not the case but I can't help thinking it.

Soldato
Are you guys that are getting Infinity already with BT and have their phone line? I'm not with BT and there's a FTTC Cab about 500m from my home but the BT address checker says I can't get it. Just wondered if they looked at BT customers first when allocating FTTC. I'm sure that's not the case but I can't help thinking it.

Perhaps you are not connected to that particular cabinet?

Associate
OP
Because being a female network engineer she's obviously too stupid to realise that taking a small bladed screwdriver and sliding it down the edge of the IDC "teeth" (as in tip of screwdriver flat against the teeth with the cable under it, basically like 1 half of the punch tool) it's able to clamp the cable as normal. She's just a "bird" with a butter knife and no clue, right?

..and because you're a bloke you didn't listen to what I said lol. I didn't just go and find *any* screw driver.

Also when you have some one who is seriously ill at home and the phones *must* be working you just do what's needed. I was fully aware I was not doing it the ideal method but I was still careful understanding the implications of a trip to the shops being possible later ;)

Back
Top Bottom