Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Ok, I've ended up with a 2.5" drive for Windows server 2003 + 3x2tb and 1x1tb WD EARS I have 20watts standby and only about 23w when the disk is pestered by the network etc ;) (sure I can get down below 18w with some power cfg)

I feel it sensible to run some kind of SMART monitor but the dilemma is AMD's AHCI drivers do not support it !
For me AHCI is faster for network transfers than IDE and I don't really know how much AHCI reduces drive wear and tear so is it back to IDE for SMART support or has anyone found a solution ?

Associate
When using unRaid, if I setup a basic level system (3 disk array maximum) and at a later date wanted to upgrade to the next level (to allow 6 disk arrays), can I just purchase a key, or will I have to completely reinstall??

Associate
Not even got the server yet and thinking of things i might need for it, including RAM and a graphics card. Just thinking might use VGA to connect it to the TV. Whats the res for VGA? im sure its as much as HDMI cable...

Anyone got Windows 2008 R2 on theirs?

Soldato
Not even got the server yet and thinking of things i might need for it, including RAM and a graphics card. Just thinking might use VGA to connect it to the TV. Whats the res for VGA? im sure its as much as HDMI cable...

Anyone got Windows 2008 R2 on theirs?

Yep, I'm running Ws2008R2 SP1..
3Gb RAM (Added a crucial 2GB ECC stick for £26)

Via VGA, it does output 1600*1200 easily to my monitor.

I detailed my 'low power' setup in this post, Here

Associate
Yep, I'm running Ws2008R2 SP1..
3Gb RAM (Added a crucial 2GB ECC stick for £26)

Via VGA, it does output 1600*1200 easily to my monitor.

I detailed my 'low power' setup in this post, Here

Cheers mate, i will defo be looking into that.
Just not sure if i need a graphics card or not... have you tried playing SD media via the VGA?

What do you use yours for mate?
I was thinking adding a tv tuner but usb to record media, image backups of two machines in house. Incremental backups of documents, pictures etc.

Associate
Hi,
I'm probably going to buy one of these servers on Monday but would like a bit of advice regarding additional hard disks and memory.
I would like 4 x 2TB disks and have been looking at:
Western Digital WD20EARS 2TB Hard Drive SATAII 64MB Cache - OEM Caviar Green
or:
Samsung SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen 2TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD204UI)
Also I would like to upgrade the memory to 2 x 2GB - not bothered about ECC to be honest.
Does anyone have a working combination as this would be a sensible guide.
Thanks in advance.

Associate
UPDATE: The below is fixed, but I'll leave this post, in case others experience the same issue. (Solution at end.)

If this has come up already in this thread, please feel free to point me to the appropriate post number(s). I've tried to search, but the thread is rather long!

I've installed FreeNAS embedded version on a USB stick from the .img file, but I'm getting this error message:

Loading configuration files.
Booting platform: embedded
Looking for configuration file: da0 ad4 da0

FATAL ERROR!
The device that contains the configuration file (config.xml) could not be found. FreeNAS cannot continue booting.

The operating system has halted.
Please press any key to reboot.

A Google search suggested that I need to set the USB mass storage device to CHS mode. There was nothing similar in the BIOS, but I just upgraded to the latest version. Now there's "USB Mass Storage Device Configuration", which contains "Emulation Type", which can be set to Auto, Floppy, Forced FDD, Hard Disk, or CDROM.

I changed this from Auto to Hard Disk, but the error remains.

Can anyone offer assistance? :) Thanks!

UPDATE: I fixed this by simply using a different USB drive. I'm not sure what exactly made the difference, but the new stick is USB 2.0 (the old was 1.0); and the new stick is 1 GiB (the old one was 128 MiB (!)).

Last edited:
Soldato
UPDATE: The below is fixed, but I'll leave this post, in case others experience the same issue. (Solution at end.)

If this has come up already in this thread, please feel free to point me to the appropriate post number(s). I've tried to search, but the thread is rather long!

I've installed FreeNAS embedded version on a USB stick from the .img file, but I'm getting this error message:

A Google search suggested that I need to set the USB mass storage device to CHS mode. There was nothing similar in the BIOS, but I just upgraded to the latest version. Now there's "USB Mass Storage Device Configuration", which contains "Emulation Type", which can be set to Auto, Floppy, Forced FDD, Hard Disk, or CDROM.

I changed this from Auto to Hard Disk, but the error remains.

Can anyone offer assistance? :) Thanks!

UPDATE: I fixed this by simply using a different USB drive. I'm not sure what exactly made the difference, but the new stick is USB 2.0 (the old was 1.0); and the new stick is 1 GiB (the old one was 128 MiB (!)).

Glad You sorted it, As you found out not all USB flash drives are created equal and some don't allow being formated into a hd emulation mode. There used to be a good tool, I think it was called flashboot, It could make bootable or superfloppy flashdrives and tell You if the drive supported it.

Associate
Hi,
I'm probably going to buy one of these servers on Monday but would like a bit of advice regarding additional hard disks and memory.
I would like 4 x 2TB disks and have been looking at:
Western Digital WD20EARS 2TB Hard Drive SATAII 64MB Cache - OEM Caviar Green
or:
Samsung SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen 2TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD204UI)
Also I would like to upgrade the memory to 2 x 2GB - not bothered about ECC to be honest.
Does anyone have a working combination as this would be a sensible guide.
Thanks in advance.

Avoid the WD Greens for RAID systems, the F4 should be fine.
You can ebay the current stick and put most 2GB DDR3 1333MHz sticks in. I'm using Corsair, I know Crucial will also work fine.

Soldato
Took the plunge and bought one, should be here on Tuesday 29th. Will I have enough time to take advantage of the £100 HP cashback scheme? it ends on the 31st that gives me two days to fill in the application and post it. Also can someone supply the part number for 4gb DDR3 ram that is compatible please :)...... IM SO EXCITED! Gonna be using this to run a couple of VMs (one Server 2008 and another XP Pro).

EDIT: never mind:

* Complete this claim form.
* Attach proof of purchase (reseller invoice(s)) to the claim form, with qualifying products and HP part codes circled and make copies for your records.
* Product must have been invoiced between 1st March and 31st March 2011.
* Mail to: HP Claims Dept, PO Box 7393, Reading, RG27 7JJ. All submissions must be received by Friday 29th April
* You will then receive an email confirming the rebate due to you and your individual reference number within 7 days of posting. If you do not receive this email then please contacts us at [email protected].
* Cheques will be issued within 28 days of receipt of your correct invoice
* You will then receive an email confirming the rebate due to you and your individual reference number
* Cheques will be issued within 28 days of receipt of your correct invoice.

Could still do with the part number for the memory though, Im thinking of getting this Kingston 4GB stick KVR1066D3N7/4G

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone got experience of flexiraid as for me, it likes a really good raid type solution. I am currently setting it up with 3 drives.
Also - I am using mhddfs to make the multiple mount drives appear to be one big drive.

Caporegime
What optical drive are people putting in this server, the official HP half height one or any "full" height ones? If a normal one can anyone recommend a decent drive that does everything (justa link to an OcUk product will suffice).

rp2000

Associate
Avoid the WD Greens for RAID systems, the F4 should be fine.
You can ebay the current stick and put most 2GB DDR3 1333MHz sticks in. I'm using Corsair, I know Crucial will also work fine.

Thank you for your feedback. I know there have been many people asking the same question on other forums and will find this invaluable.

Nem

Nem

Associate
Just bought one of these also, and only now have I come to this thread :)

Anyway a lot of pages reading later and it confirms what I've already found which is there is no bios option for a timed system start which is something I really wanted to be able to do.

I have found a way round it I think though. I'm pretty sure I saw the power restore option in the bios for always on or previous state. So I'm thinking one of those 24 hour timed mains sockets to turn the power on and off. Set the bios to always power on when the mains is restored and it will start up at say 9am every day, then set a script to shut windows down in the evening, and shortly after this time set the mains plug to kill the power.

I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work...?

Man of Honour
Just bought one of these also, and only now have I come to this thread :)

Anyway a lot of pages reading later and it confirms what I've already found which is there is no bios option for a timed system start which is something I really wanted to be able to do.

I have found a way round it I think though. I'm pretty sure I saw the power restore option in the bios for always on or previous state. So I'm thinking one of those 24 hour timed mains sockets to turn the power on and off. Set the bios to always power on when the mains is restored and it will start up at say 9am every day, then set a script to shut windows down in the evening, and shortly after this time set the mains plug to kill the power.

I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work...?

That'll fatigue the PSU which will be a pain to replace being non-standard. Can you not send a WOL packet from a other network device?

Back
Top Bottom