Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
What optical drive are people putting in this server, the official HP half height one or any "full" height ones? If a normal one can anyone recommend a decent drive that does everything (justa link to an OcUk product will suffice).

rp2000

Any sata drive works fine I tried Samsung SH-B123L/BSBP first no issues at all but now running with this setup

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CD-145-SA&groupid=701&catid=10&subcat=952

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-205-LL&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=1770

Caporegime

Cheers, I was impatient and wanted a delivery tomorrow so I just ordered a 5.25 inch Plextor drive earlier. Any particular reason you changed from a full size to a "half height" drive?

rp2000

Associate
Cheers, I was impatient and wanted a delivery tomorrow so I just ordered a 5.25 inch Plextor drive earlier. Any particular reason you changed from a full size to a "half height" drive?

rp2000

so i could get extra hard drive in there with the slim drive using the esata port from the back

Associate
You can't mix ecc and non-ecc. Also, good luck finding a 3GB stick ;)

lol totally got confused, probs meant to say have 3GB buying a 2GB stick to go with the 1GB already there but i think its ECC the one in there.

Not sure what im going to be using it for yet. At first it was just to store tv with a tv tuner i am going to buy but keep thinking of other things i could do with it...

Associate
I decided I have very little I need backups of, so will do online backups. Where is a good service offering the most Gb, and max file size limit around at the moment for free?

Associate
Sorry to do two questions in a row, but how important is it really to have two of the same drives? I have an old 1.5TB samsung HD154UI drive and want another 1 (atleast), surely I would just be better to get the best 1.5tb available?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I decided I have very little I need backups of, so will do online backups. Where is a good service offering the most Gb, and max file size limit around at the moment for free?

Check out Crashplan if you're willing to part with a small amount of cash.

Sorry to do two questions in a row, but how important is it really to have two of the same drives? I have an old 1.5TB samsung HD154UI drive and want another 1 (atleast), surely I would just be better to get the best 1.5tb available?

Use the same make, model and firmware if possible.

Caporegime
Just got mine, and I am a bit stuck install the Optical drive. I see a SATA port on the MB, but I cannot see any SATA power connector coming from the PSU. The quik start guide shows some sort of cable/connector, but the documentation is a bit vague. Should I have got this adaptor (4 pin old style power to Sata power) with the server?

rp2000

Caporegime
no, you will need to buy an adapter, it doesn't come with one.

OK, I am still a bit baffled tbh. On the MB I see a SATA port, does the Optical Drives Sata data connection go direct using this standard sata cable? Then I get an adaptor just for the power to the DVD drive (1 end 4 pin power, 1 end sata power). I will dig around, but I don't think I have such a cable, nor have I ever seen one. Presumably it looks like http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&xhr=t&q=sata+power+connector&biw=1440&bih=764 and is available in online component type places?

The pictures in the manual are a bit small, and my reading of this thread (although i have not read every post) didn't seem to mention any sort of convertors :(

Edit: On closer inspection a few people do mention the molex>sata power connector!!!

rp2000

Last edited:
Soldato
OK, I am still a bit baffled tbh. On the MB I see a SATA port, does the Optical Drives Sata data connection go direct using this standard sata cable? Then I get an adaptor just for the power to the DVD drive (1 end 4 pin power, 1 end sata power). I will dig around, but I don't think I have such a cable, nor have I ever seen one. Presumably it looks like http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&xhr=t&q=sata+power+connector&biw=1440&bih=764 and is available in online component type places?

The pictures in the manual are a bit small, and my reading of this thread (although i have not read every post) didn't seem to mention any sort of convertors :(

Edit: On closer inspection a few people do mention the molex>sata power connector!!!
That's all correct.

In order to install another device in the top bay (be that an optical drive or a fifth hard drive) you need two things: a SATA data cable, at least 45cm in length, and a Molex to SATA power adapter, like the ones pictured in that Google image search. Both can be had for pennies online, or a few quid if you pop into your local computer store.

The data cable goes to the spare SATA port on the motherboard (can be a little fiddly), and needs to be at least 45cm as it has to be routed around the case.

There are a couple of Molex power connectors free at the top of the case :)

Associate
I've read that you cant use green drives with Raid, since the drive spin down and drops out of the raid?

Indeed, TLER is the problem with the Greens but it's not the end of the world.. WDTLER can be used to change the default settings. I've not used it myself but I'm sure this page will help you along (at your own risk ;))
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Limited_Error_Recovery

I still advise most people to avoid the Greens for RAID, and go with either the Blacks or Samsung F4 for RAID arrays. If money is no object or your data is really important to you then WD RE (Raid Edition) is and even better option.

Back
Top Bottom