• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Bulldozer Finally!

Soldato
has no one thought that these AM3 boards have got AM3+ sockets on in preparation for BD release hence just a bios flash?

None of the Asus boards are due to be changed revision wise - Including the CHIV extreme and Formula. Asus's statement was clear without ANY amibigiuty(!) - CURRENT boards and UPCOMING boards were listed clearly along with what is supported by BIOS upgrades - Hell, the test BD BIOS is even available now!

Soldato
because AM3+ has one more pin which fits bulldozer and AM3 doesnt. Bulldozer will not fit an AM3 socket

could be missing a key point, current socket AM3 processors only have 938 pins, the socket has 941 pins so they have three less pins than the socket has holes for...socket AM3+ has 942 pins, so whose to say that Bulldozer processors don't have just 939 pins, would be inclined to have at least some fair in ASUS since they seem like one of the more 'honest' brands and don't tend to openly tell lies, which by saying 'Bulldozer will work with current AM3 motherboard (notice the way they don't say 'newer revisions with AM3+ sockets)' seems like they are pretty confident it works, so unless AMD can tell us a reason that it doesn't then would be inclined to trust ASUS on this one. ;)

Soldato
Are AMD saying categorically that it won't work, or just that they don't support it?

Massive difference.

That they wont support it, anything the manufacturers of the boards do is their choice entirely

If AMD chooses to release a CPU using all the available pins of the AM3+ board, it won't work in a AM3 board.
however, it seems like the next lot of processors coming out will have few enough pins so that the likes of asus can work some bios magic.

My wallet just got lighter

Soldato
I dont why people are doubting this, the Mobo manufacturers must have early examples of the new BD CPU's in their labs by now, and tested them on current products, if they are happy that they work without problems, then whats the doubt and confusion about?..

The only thing i find strange, is why they are releasing BIOS updates to add support now, for a CPU that no one will be able to buy for at least 2 or 3 mths (maybe more)..

Soldato
I'm assuming this has nothing to do with the date: http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=newsdesc&news_no=939

Looks like MSI are going to update all currently manufactured (maybe even all?) AM3 boards to AM3+ via BIOS updates.

Excellent confirmation for MSI board owners, and reaffirmation for Asus's statement. And just like Asus's statement its only SOME am3 boards.

The current range of 890 series boards give us everything the 990 series will give us, Sata 6, USB3 etc - the ONLY reason I would upgrade my board is if UEFI support was introduced (not just the rubbish GUI interface like on current SB boards, but one that substantially reduces boot times as was promised by the UEFI standards)

Soldato
You are able to pre order one from a uk retailer.
Why does Gigabyte not cool the mofests on their £90, stopping me from buying the board.

Associate
Think we are all looking at June sometime but thats as close as anyone gets as far as i know nothing official has been said by AMD on the release date.

Associate
I have it on good authority that it will be in the next 28 days :) O and its faster than billyO himself!

O and mid 50s under load. Stock cooler.

Dont go buying and I7 just yet!

Associate
Soldato
Maybe them chipset problems reported back a month ago were true then if manufacturers are having to resort 'old' chipsets with new sockets.... hmmm.

As long as it doesn't delay launch of BD i'm not too bothered lol ;)

Associate
I don't quite understand the confusion. ASUS is clearly convinced that the new chips work on, at the very least, their select few current-gen motherboards advertised as such. Then it must logically follow that bulldozer does not work exclusively on AM3+ across the board. However the real extent of its, apparent, backwards compatibility remains to be seen.

This is not open to debate, ASUS will not just go 'sorry guys our announcements were rubbish'. :rolleyes:

- Ordokai

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom