Whats the chances its all dead??

Associate
Hi all, whilst I was away with work my wife decided she was going to use my computer as opposed to her laptop, when she went to switch it on she was greeted by a "pop" and nothing else, the power button on the front of the case was no longer illuminated and that was that.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that the PSU has gone bang but what are the chances its took other stuff out with it, you hear horror storys of whole systems being taken out via a PSU but is this not more likely to happen with a power spike as opposed to a PSU meeting its maker.

Further to this can anyone recommend a good 1000Watt PSU, not too bothered about price but has to be SLI capable (Have enough connectors for 3 Gfx) and must be modular.

Cheers all

Associate
I haven't had a blown PSU in any modern PCs (most recent one was an 8-9 year old single core Pentium 4), but I've had half a dozen or more go on me over the years total.

Not once has it lead to the need to replace anything except the PSU itself. I've only heard of fried computers via the PSU when they get hit by something like lightning.

Associate
Naah, considering the circumstances I'm leaning towards it just being the PSU. I get the 'omg its all dead' feeling when something goes pop (caps likely) and nothing reacts but naturally its going to be dead until you get some new juice flowing and see for yourself.

- Ordokai

Soldato
Just recently, a mate upgraded his GFX and the new one had 2x6pin ports. He was ok for a couple of days but he noticed a message saying that its not getting enough and so he plugged another one in... It went pop... he didnt bother turning it off, so if there was ever a moron moment, this was it.

Anyway, he asked me to have a look, and it blew the Mobo, the CPU , one of the HDs, ( he had 2 in there ), one of the Ram Sticks ( He had 4 ), and the PSU.

The one thing that should have been utterly killed was the GFX... Thats fine?

The PSU was a hiper730

It seemed to still work and when I bought him a replacement Motherboard, it killed the motherboard so Iwas piddled off at that cos I paid for that.

Associate
Just recently, a mate upgraded his GFX and the new one had 2x6pin ports. He was ok for a couple of days but he noticed a message saying that its not getting enough and so he plugged another one in... It went pop... he didnt bother turning it off, so if there was ever a moron moment, this was it.

Anyway, he asked me to have a look, and it blew the Mobo, the CPU , one of the HDs, ( he had 2 in there ), one of the Ram Sticks ( He had 4 ), and the PSU.

The one thing that should have been utterly killed was the GFX... Thats fine?

The PSU was a hiper730

It seemed to still work and when I bought him a replacement Motherboard, it killed the motherboard so Iwas piddled off at that cos I paid for that.

Ouch....

Back
Top Bottom