• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Gigabyte Super OC GTX 480's - VERY LOW PRICES!**

Associate
do u think my 800w bfg psu will handle it ok?

not sure what the opinion of bfg psus are these days.

I intially had issues with my oc (onthe the cpu) this was just aan unstable overclock that became apparent after installing the card. I have tested quite rigoursly since and on my coolermaster silent pro 700w my system with GB GTX480 Soc is stable. no artefacts or errors other than errors in OCCT

testing has included
Crysis 1920*1080 max settings with 4*aa
Heaven 2.5 1680*1050 as per the thread
Furmark
3dmark 2006-vantage and 2011
world in conflict max seetings 1920*1080
Dirt2 max seetings 1920*1080 directx 11mode
Just Cause2 everything maxed 1920*1080

no artefacts whatsoever

spec
2500k @4.6Ghz
MSI P67 GD65
corsair 4gb memory
samsung f4 2.otb
corsair f60 ssd
samsung DVD-rw
gb GTX480Soc

Associate
Just wanted to add my overall very positive experience of this card so far. It seems to be working very well after the first couple of hours of use. In game (Shogun 2) load temps are peeking at around 83C with the auto fan speed ramping up to about 74%. I'm finding a huge performance improvement moving from 2xGTX 260 (SLI) in Shogun 2.

A couple of odd things I noticed:

The clocks are 700 Core, 1400 shader , 924 memory by default. I'm having to set them manually to the overclocked settings (820, 1650, 950 respectively). Is this common with all of these cards?

I can't get the OC Guru OSD to display at all. Does this feature actually work?

Associate
My SOC came clocked at 821. It's perfectly stable so far, bar the irritating buzzing noise when playing Dragon Age. I don't know what that is but I've played Metro 2033 and Lead and Gold now, and neither of those games do it...

Temperatures are nice. I've seen a high of 73, and the fan hasn't bothered to go any quicker than the stock auto setting of 47% yet. Overall I'm very happy with the card. I came across this thread just as I was about to order, which was a little disconcerting, but I seem to have struck lucky :D

I hope those of you having problems get them sorted soon, as it really is a nice card :(

Soldato
Just thought I'd add my experience of the 480 SOC. Got one last week on offer but have had massive problems with it. Artefacts in BFBC2, thousands of errors in OCCT and caused a system crash in Furmark. PSU is a Seasonic 700w so I'm pretty sure the card was at fault. Worked fine if the clocks were lowered slightly in afterburner but considering I paid for SOC clocks I wasn't prepared to do this so it went straight back.

DSR or faulty?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
DSR or faulty?

DSR, while I've no doubt that it was faulty it was just easier to DSR it. For the sake of paying the £6 postage it wasn't worth going through the hassle of RMA especially as some people on here were getting no fault found despite having artefacts.

Associate
DSR, while I've no doubt that it was faulty it was just easier to DSR it. For the sake of paying the £6 postage it wasn't worth going through the hassle of RMA especially as some people on here were getting no fault found despite having artefacts.

£6 postage, i just paid £9 special delivery. with my luck at the moment it would probably get lost and i couldn't risk £240!! :eek:

Hopefully it will be found faulty and i'll get the postage refunded if it is.

Associate
OK a quick update on my new card. The VDDC under load has been set much higher in the BIOS so more power is being used, more heat is generated and the fans spin louder. I am not sure if this modification has been done at the factory or after using something like NiBiTor, but it has not helped that much. I am still getting errors in OCCT, just takes a little longer for them to appear. Please all bear in mind that you cannot make claims that these SOCs use less power than stock cards if the load VDDC varies from card to card...

In effect my new card is just the same as the old one that was found faulty and replaced by Overclockers, but someone at some stage has massively increased the load voltage to compensate for the instability.

My old load VDDC was 1.0250v and the new card is 1.0880v

The errors only begin to occur at approximately 80 degrees C now, so if I can somehow keep the card below that I may be able to stop the errors, but I doubt this will be possible even by manually increasing the fan speed to very noisy levels...

I am very miffed to say the least considering I footed the return postage bill once and am looking at another RMA. I am going to try one more PSU swap for an 850W Corsair, but I think I am going to have to RMA again... :(

Update:

I have noticed one positive difference with this new card which is a little strange, my LEDs now display the power usage without the OC Guru software being loaded and even show the correct power usage when the PC is booting up or in the BIOS screen. It now idles with only one LED on whereas my old card idled with 2 LEDs on, so maybe this card has been slightly tweaked in some way?

Last edited:
Soldato
Could someone post OCCT, Furmark etc settings that people are using.

I finally have some time to play around with this card, so will give these tests a go & will report back my findings.

@ thebigak, what BIOS version has your card got?

Associate
Could someone post OCCT, Furmark etc settings that people are using.

I finally have some time to play around with this card, so will give these tests a go & will report back my findings.

@ thebigak, what BIOS version has your card got?

I am using OCCT with GPU: OCCT test and 'Error Check' ticked.

My BIOS is the same as my old card: 70.00.21.00.02.

I have really stress tested the card with certain games that take the GPU to 100% usage, Cryostasis with PhysX for example, and the GPU temp goes over 80 degrees with the stock fan profile and that is the temp that I get errors in OCCT.

I can keep the GPU in the 70s with the fan at 100% so that is how I am gaming at the moment to test the stability in games.

Even though I have 4 case fans and great circulation inside the case, I think the absolute best case design for this type of heatsink is one with a very large side mounted fan (or fans) that blow cool air in from the side and directly onto the side of the card. Unless I do a ghetto mod and slice up my side panel, it might be time for a new case...

All in all I think this card has been a real false economy for me as the money spent on the PSU and case could have gone towards a GTX 580...

Might try with the side panel off for a bit, but that is no long term solution as it will be caked with dust in no time...

Associate
thebigak - you could get some antec spotcools.

They don't look adequate really, it is all about getting as much cool air over the cooler from the outside as possible.

Seems to be working OK for me in games with 100% fan speed set manually, and I can just about bare the noise for now.

Will try OCCT with new 850W corsair PSU when it arrives and see if it makes any difference...

Soldato
They don't look adequate really, it is all about getting as much cool air over the cooler from the outside as possible.

Seems to be working OK for me in games with 100% fan speed set manually, and I can just about bare the noise for now.

Will try OCCT with new 850W corsair PSU when it arrives and see if it makes any difference...

Well you can consider the PSU an invesment

Soldato
OK a quick update on my new card. The VDDC under load has been set much higher in the BIOS so more power is being used, more heat is generated and the fans spin louder. I am not sure if this modification has been done at the factory or after using something like NiBiTor, but it has not helped that much. I am still getting errors in OCCT, just takes a little longer for them to appear. Please all bear in mind that you cannot make claims that these SOCs use less power than stock cards if the load VDDC varies from card to card...

In effect my new card is just the same as the old one that was found faulty and replaced by Overclockers, but someone at some stage has massively increased the load voltage to compensate for the instability.

My old load VDDC was 1.0250v and the new card is 1.0880v

The errors only begin to occur at approximately 80 degrees C now, so if I can somehow keep the card below that I may be able to stop the errors, but I doubt this will be possible even by manually increasing the fan speed to very noisy levels...

I am very miffed to say the least considering I footed the return postage bill once and am looking at another RMA. I am going to try one more PSU swap for an 850W Corsair, but I think I am going to have to RMA again... :(

Update:

I have noticed one positive difference with this new card which is a little strange, my LEDs now display the power usage without the OC Guru software being loaded and even show the correct power usage when the PC is booting up or in the BIOS screen. It now idles with only one LED on whereas my old card idled with 2 LEDs on, so maybe this card has been slightly tweaked in some way?

is it the same card ? did you make note of the serial number before sending it off ?

Back
Top Bottom