• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Gigabyte Super OC GTX 480's - VERY LOW PRICES!**

Associate
lol. i new i should have gone for the 570.

the 480 soc is the same price now!

at least i saved 20 quid

Yes good luck :)

It has the makings of a fantastic card. I upgraded from 2xGTX260 in SLI and pondered for a while whether it would be worth the upgrade but it ended up giving me roughly double the performance in Shogun 2.

Last edited:
Associate
Buzzing is probably a capacitor on the card itself or PSU, it is a common thing to happen under load. Loads of the HD4890 cards had loud buzzing caps under load.

Soldato
most likely PSU

my PSU made noises with my 4890, 570 and 480

I had an "expert" at work take a listen - and he said its an annoying noise but nothing to worry about - just a component osciallating/vibrating within the PSU itself

Associate
Had my card a couple of days now. It's idling between 33 and 38 degrees, and it's never gone above 73 degrees with the fan at stock auto settings (it's stayed on 47% the entire time), even playing Metro 2033 on high in 3D.

I haven't done any testing such as Furmark, but I haven't seen any artefacts in the games I've tried - Metro 2033, Lead & Gold, Dragon Age Origins: Awakening and some free MMO called Black Prophecy.

For those interested, my case is a Fractal Design Define R3 with an added side 140mm fan and an added top 140mm fan. The PSU is a 650w Antec TruePower New. All my power phase LEDs are on even while doing nothing, but the temperatures are very low. The card is absolutely silent at anything below about 44% fan speed, and is only just audible at 47 - 48, so I imagine anything up to about 60% would be fine while playing games...

Edit: Just read about the buzzing. Mine does that as well, but only on Dragon Age for some weird reason. I never noticed it on any other game or with the 460 that this card replaced.

Last edited:
Soldato
btw my card came back from RMA in a stock - white box

full of accessories inc 8 pin and 6 pin power converters, and DVI converters etc

so going to give the 8 pin molex on a whirl and see if it improves things or not

Soldato
btw my card came back from RMA in a stock - white box

full of accessories inc 8 pin and 6 pin power converters, and DVI converters etc

so going to give the 8 pin molex on a whirl and see if it improves things or not

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I liked the original box :(
HOw often did they update you about your RMA?

Soldato
RMA - they emailed me after 1st set of test results

then when they'd completed testing

re box ... you sent off original box ? RMA instructions stated to send only card - in its antistatic bag - in whatever protective packaging appropriate - but not to send any of the original packaging ..

Soldato
RMA - they emailed me after 1st set of test results

then when they'd completed testing

re box ... you sent off original box ? RMA instructions stated to send only card - in its antistatic bag - in whatever protective packaging appropriate - but not to send any of the original packaging ..

Oops:(
They havent emailed me once. I had to call them to findnout the status.

Associate
Had my card a couple of days now. It's idling between 33 and 38 degrees, and it's never gone above 73 degrees with the fan at stock auto settings (it's stayed on 47% the entire time), even playing Metro 2033 on high in 3D.

I haven't done any testing such as Furmark, but I haven't seen any artefacts in the games I've tried - Metro 2033, Lead & Gold, Dragon Age Origins: Awakening and some free MMO called Black Prophecy.

For those interested, my case is a Fractal Design Define R3 with an added side 140mm fan and an added top 140mm fan. The PSU is a 650w Antec TruePower New. All my power phase LEDs are on even while doing nothing, but the temperatures are very low. The card is absolutely silent at anything below about 44% fan speed, and is only just audible at 47 - 48, so I imagine anything up to about 60% would be fine while playing games...

Edit: Just read about the buzzing. Mine does that as well, but only on Dragon Age for some weird reason. I never noticed it on any other game or with the 460 that this card replaced.

Test quickly with OCCT GPU error test and see what happens. If you get any errors then you know the card is not up to the job at stock overclocked speed. I have a feeling the side fan will make a big diff on temps for you though.

Associate
Prices of both the Gigabyte Super OC and the Special Edition have gone up! Gigabyte Special Edition has gone from £129 upto £149!!!! since Tuesday when I last looked at the GTX480 section on the website! that,s £20 increase in 48 hours.
Even the Asus GTX480 has gone up £10 from £199 to £209..
Anyone know the reason why the sharp increase?
I was going to buy one of the Gigabyte Special Editions. I saw the Super OC on the Deal of the week offer and I thought (wished) the Special Edition would be put on Deal of the week on Wednesday or Thursday 14th April, ie so the Special Edition would be put to £199 on Deal of the week like it was 2 weeks ago! But instead it is £20 more LOL! If you previouslt got one afew weeks back at the £199 price you made the right move by the looks of things..Congrats, I had to wait till funds were available now I got the dosh this has occurred lol!!
Guess I won,t be installing one this month or the next few at this rate of change..Damn it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom