Buying iPad 2 in New York, quickie question

Soldato
Can i buy an adapter for the plug over there and it will work fine over here won't, stupid question probably.

Also im only buying the Wi-fi version, what's a cheap Dongle for internet on the go?

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't plug a wifi dongle into the ipad.

They charge via usb so you can either just charge it off your pc or just buy a UK socket-USB female adapter or just use a converter with the plug which you are given.

Associate
Is there really much of a saving to be had to make it worth the effort after adding tax etc?

I went to NY in Jan and looked at buying one back then but I was only going to be saving a few quid with the crap exchange rate so got one from the uk.

Soldato
Is there really much of a saving to be had to make it worth the effort after adding tax etc?

I went to NY in Jan and looked at buying one back then but I was only going to be saving a few quid with the crap exchange rate so got one from the uk.

Well the iPad2 after sales tax in New York is $540 (499 x 0.08375), if £1 is at $1.65 then the iPad2 will cost roughly £326 depending on exchange rates/commission.

So the OP would essentially save £75. Since Apple care is global there's not really much to lose if you're going to be travelling.

Soldato
Well the iPad2 after sales tax in New York is $540 (499 x 0.08375), if £1 is at $1.65 then the iPad2 will cost roughly £326 depending on exchange rates/commission.

So the OP would essentially save £75. Since Apple care is global there's not really much to lose if you're going to be travelling.

Well yes, if you evade import tax and duty.

Associate

I don't think that covers duty free allowances etc - its more for a business buying products from a US seller.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm#1

"Other goods including perfume and souvenirs

You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 without having to pay tax and/or duty.

If you arrive by private plane or private boat for pleasure purposes, you can only bring in other goods worth up to £270 tax and duty free.

If you bring in any single item worth more than your allowance, you must pay duty and/or tax on the full item value, not just the value above the allowance. You also cannot group individual allowances together to bring in an item worth more than the limit."

Commissario
If you carry an iPad in your hand or hold luggage without any kind of original item packaging, the chances of getting stung for import duty and/or VAT if you go through the green channel are absolutely minimal. Of course, I can't condone fraud but you're almost certainly going to get away with it.

Soldato
If you carry an iPad in your hand or hold luggage without any kind of original item packaging, the chances of getting stung for import duty and/or VAT if you go through the green channel are absolutely minimal. Of course, I can't condone fraud but you're almost certainly going to get away with it.

If you did get caught, the iPad could be confiscated, you may still have to pay any taxes and have to pay a fine.

Associate
Ditch the original packaging and take in hand luggage, the people saying you'll get caught and confiscated are being unrealistic tbh no ones going to be on the look out for single ipad smugglers.

Soldato
If you did get caught, the iPad could be confiscated, you may still have to pay any taxes and have to pay a fine.

how could you get caught ? they have no possible way to prove that you didnt buy/win/get given the item in the uk before you left

Commissario
how could you get caught ? they have no possible way to prove that you didnt buy/win/get given the item in the uk before you left

They don't need to, the onus is on the person carrying it to prove otherwise.

Anyway, if they wanted to prove it, it wouldn't be difficult.

"Hello, Apple, this is HM C&E here, can you tell me where iPad serial number xxxxxxx was sold. *pause* Great, thanks. So sonny, you got it in New York. *puts on marigolds* Bend over".

Back
Top Bottom