Ten days????? I want it now.

Associate
Forget it I'm being told too many negative things so I've cancelled my order. It seems Apple charge to much for inferior quality products and hardware. I don't want to spend all that money on something everyone's telling me is crap.

With Apple you aren't really paying for performance. I'd say their business model is more around service and support, design, build quality, aesthetics and user experience.

It doesn't suit everybody.

Soldato
Indeed, if you can't justify the cost, which a lot of people can't then don't worry about not buying :)

Personally I have a Mac Mini and a 27" Dell which I sold my PC to use, suits me perfectly. The portables do cost a lot of money but the software/OS is very good, things like Final Cut etc. are brilliant.

Macs in my experience, coming from a PC, are so inferior for games it's not even worth looking at macs if you predominantly play games.

Soldato
Forget it I'm being told too many negative things so I've cancelled my order. It seems Apple charge to much for inferior quality products and hardware. I don't want to spend all that money on something everyone's telling me is crap.

Jeez. Besides the point now, but why bother involving yourself in to such a financial commitment in the first place?

Inferior quality products and hardware? Righto!

Don't know where you heard so many negative things about them. Would like to see or be told what has been said.

Associate

This generation they were the first Laptop vendor with Intel Sandybridge CPU's & the first with Thunderbolt (although it's still waiting for people to take advantage of it). How is that inferior hardware? The only real things people have really said about is the HDD and the RAM which are user serviceable so you can dump your own stuff in anyway if you want to upgrade them.

As for the graphics the 6490 is still quite good but if you want all of the pretties turned on in games it will struggle a bit.

Good luck finding a higher quality PC product.

Associate
I hate people spouting cr*p about macs not being able to game or getting too hot!

I have a MBP 17 2011 with the ATI 6750 and 2.2ghz quad. It games in boot camp amazingly and also overclocks nicely too (running it at 800/1000 from 600/800).

It will run hot if you leave the fans to their own devices, but I use macfan and set a shortcut for 5200rpm for gaming. Its not too loud (much quieter than an alienware m15x) and keeps the laptop reasonably cool.

So far I am playing the following games at 1920x1200 with high settings all above 30fps
BFBC2
COD BO
SC2
DOW2
Shogun 2
MOH 2010

Soldato
I've always found the idea of video editing on a laptop just bizarre but I suppose it's expected given the performance of the machine. I've got a 2009 Macbook Pro which I only use Office and I don't see myself upgrading for a long time (well, until the battery decides it has had enough).

Soldato
I was under the impression that you got a better student discount if you ordered online, or am I wrong?

Nope same price as buying in store :) (minus the free delivery)

For the odd toll in the thread you some times have to pay a little bit more for genuine quality, so an amazing keyboard and trackpad combination (can not be beaten by other laptop companies) an exterior aluminium shell that takes a good few more knocks than any other laptop iv owned, a quality led screen and very very good hardware guarantee.

Gaming on my mac is about the same as gaming on an equally speced pc, not the best but more than good enough (you get over the difference between playing on extreme to medium very quickly when you can play on the move).

For the OP give one a go in the apple store tomorrow and you'll love it :)

Soldato
OP
I was worried then the discount better be the same or it'll be a wasted journey. I rang the Manchester store and it seems like you can't buy them with a high res screen from the store. It's only online. Fortunately for a full HD screen I'll connect it to my TV.

I can get 5.1 surround from my Sony AV either through optical or HDMI. Looking at the connections on the Macbook pros it looks like I'll only be able get stereo. Is there anything I can connect that'll allow Optical or HDMI. I've seen DVI and VGA adaptors for the Macbook Pros but that's it.

Associate
I was worried then the discount better be the same or it'll be a wasted journey. I rang the Manchester store and it seems like you can't buy them with a high res screen from the store. It's only online. Fortunately for a full HD screen I'll connect it to my TV.

I can get 5.1 surround from my Sony AV either through optical or HDMI. Looking at the connections on the Macbook pros it looks like I'll only be able get stereo. Is there anything I can connect that'll allow Optical or HDMI. I've seen DVI and VGA adaptors for the Macbook Pros but that's it.

The headphone socket is also an optical-out, you just need the correct cable (Search for 3.5mm optical toslink cable). You can also get a Mini-DP to HDMI adapter which will pass audio through the HDMI cable, this is what I do with the Neet Mini-DP to HDMI adapter and it works great, you just need to set the audio output settings to HDMI in OSX :)

Back
Top Bottom