• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unlock your ATI 6950 to a 6970 Thread

Associate
If you are going to flash the 1gig cards just make sure you have a spare slot and card just in case it all goes ***s up.

I have just found a cracking tool for 6950 ppl. It allows you to up the sliders in CCC and still only flash the shaders.

First you need to unlock the shaders on your bios with
RBE
If not use this Bios
Unlocked Shader only bios 6950

Once you have done that you will have a 6950 with unlocked shaders and stock memory. Down side you will have a max overclock in CCC 845/1325

So
You can do this
Regedit

Or use this tool and it does it for you
regedit tool

The tool will let you set the base clocks. I have mine set to 910/1345 1.1V loads these as it boots.

Once its all done you should end up with this (apart from MSI i have unlocked the cores/Mem on that)

Forgot to say that the regedit tool should work on any card. Also if it all goes wrong just start in safe mode, start the tool and Perge Registry this will just make all the bad files go away :)
shader.PNG

Last edited:
Associate
had a strange problem since flashing both cards, this tends to happen randomly, so can be using the PC for a ages then it happens - horizontal lines across the screen and the actual screen splits up so 1/4 of the right side of my desktop appears on the left side, like the screen has been pushed sideways. Windows still works ok but need to reboot to get the screen position correct. If I print screen everything looks normal. this only tends to happen with google chrome open :confused:

any ideas?

Associate
I would say its the memory timmings.

Do what i posted above, will save your card and loads of problems.

I have just done a 5 hour stabilty burnin test. No problems at all.

Associate
I would say its the memory timmings.

Do what i posted above, will save your card and loads of problems.

I have just done a 5 hour stabilty burnin test. No problems at all.

So flash back to the 6950 bios then reflash using the one you posted above? not fussed about overlcocking the card yet as I need a new case, airflow is absymal at the moment

Associate
had a strange problem since flashing both cards, this tends to happen randomly, so can be using the PC for a ages then it happens - horizontal lines across the screen and the actual screen splits up so 1/4 of the right side of my desktop appears on the left side, like the screen has been pushed sideways. Windows still works ok but need to reboot to get the screen position correct. If I print screen everything looks normal. this only tends to happen with google chrome open :confused:

any ideas?

Just noticed this in a post - http://fudzilla.com/graphics/item/22623-amd-releases-new-catalyst-driver

Could that be causing me problems? had no issues with 11.3...

Associate
So flash back to the 6950 bios then reflash using the one you posted above? not fussed about overlcocking the card yet as I need a new case, airflow is absymal at the moment

You can just flash to that one,you dont need to go stock then to that.

OC is upto you it just gives the option.

Associate
Np, I have prob spent 10hours trying to sort the xfx cards.

I do have another little mod that will allow you to OC with AB and xfire without BSOD. You need to edit the register a little so will post that when i have not been drinking for the last few hours :)

The xfx shader bios is 110% tested so dont worry about it .

Associate
Has anybody had any problems with the MSI R6950 Stock card? I have the Asus 6950OC flashed it on the day I got it been running @ 5760x1200 all week no problem with the 5970 Bios/clocks/volts etc. Got myself a second card to crossfire but as the MSI card was £10 less I got that, it flashed the same with no problems, but when playing BF2 keeps crashing, also Ran 3DMarks11 and this also fails on 2 different OS’s, it must be the MSI card but I will have to test the cards individually to find out.. Does any one no the stock volts for the 6970? My temps are between 45-65 under load on both cards apart from the top card runs 10' hotter because of the lack of air getting in.. Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
I have spent ages messing about with these cards,tried loads of things but the biggest problem i have found with 6950s in Xfire is MSI afterberner! I have removed it and just use an Asus bios with smart doctor.

I run 6950s in xfire @920/1340 with +20% power and it gives me no problems at all.

I found with AB is it might boot ok one day and the next you get artifacts.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I want to try unlocking my frozR 3 (non-reference) card is there anything different I need to do or can I still use the same 6970 BIOS as reference cards?

Soldato
It really is hit and miss to be honest.. I bought 3 ASUS 6950 cards, 2 of them unlocked perfectly and run at the same speeds without issue, the other couldn't even run base 6970 clocks without artifacting terribly.

Soldato
If I want to try unlocking my frozR 3 (non-reference) card is there anything different I need to do or can I still use the same 6970 BIOS as reference cards?

Bes thing would be to try using the W1zzard script from TPU as that one looks actively at the BIOS for the correct location of the shaders in the BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom