Got caught speeding - no points or fine!!

Soldato
Was on a long straight road running alongside a river in a 30mph zone chugging along in 5th, chatting with a friend & just didn't notice the mobile camera van parked way ahead, about 200 metres up the road. Got straight on the brakes but as I did so looked at the speedo & I was doing about 40mph, I knew there was no way he couldn't have got me.

Anyway got the fixed penalty notice saying I was doing 38mph & was offered the option to attend a speed awareness course, which I opted to take. A week later they wrote back saying the people that do the speed awareness course are finishing & they will be in touch when they've found someone to do it. I thought fair enough I haven't paid a fine yet, maybe it will just go away.

Got another letter saying becasue the speed awareness people have ceased operations they deem it unreasonable to persue a prosecution & will let me off! :p

Soldato
OP
Personally I would give you a ban for slamming your brakes on when you saw a camera van, that's much more dangerous than speeding in my eyes.

Who said anything about slamming on the brakes?

Incidentally I was using a bus lane out of hours (in readiness to take a left at some lights) while approaching a fixed speed camera, a woman in a Micra whizzed past using the normal lane & set off the camera. She DID slam on her brakes & stopped dead in the road. As I trundled past smirking at her she engaged reverse & backed up over the speed camera markings on the road, then moved forward over them again but slowly this time :eek:

I can only imagine she thought she could somehow undo the speeding offence she had just committed :p

Associate
... chatting with a friend & just didn't notice the mobile camera van parked way ahead, about 200 metres up the road. Got straight on the brakes ...

... I was doing 38mph ...

The first being in my eyes a lot more dangerous than the second. Full attention not on the road due to being distracted through chatting, coupled with braking (presumably relatively sharply) when waking up and seeing the van.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
This will probably be the reason you were speeding.

I have to say selecting 5th in a 30 zone is pretty silly.

Surely that would depend on the car, though ;) My car will quite happily sit in 5th at less than 30mph, because it's light, and short-geared, and blessed with no horsepower whatsoever but enough torque to pull its meager weight. My dad's car (Kia Soul CRDi) can quite happily sit in 5th at 30mph, because engine speed at idle with 5th gear and the final drive ratio is near-as-damn-it 30mph.

Associate
Your mistake here was breaking in a straight line.
Next time you see a speed camera it's best to veer sharply to one side, preferably with the rear end out.
That way it's harder was the camera to get a fix and record your speed.

Listen to the advice above and you too can have 20 years of motoring with no points :p

Back
Top Bottom