Project; Turbo GSXR Slingshot

Associate
Right, here starts the OCUK coverage of my project, been at it for about 6 months now and what started off as an easy fighter project has gained legs of its own and will now be a turbo beasty!!!

There's loads of pics so ill update this over the next few days to get it up to speed.

First off, the specs which its at now.

GSXR 1100 W motor with Carillo rods, re-bored to 77mm with new pistons, flowed head.
Will get the crank lightened a little and balanced.
Will also need to lower the compression ratio for use with the turbo.

Im going draw through so ive had a plenum made to fit directly on the head, got a Garrett T3/4 turbo and will get a Mikuni HSR 45mm carb

Frame is an 89 Slingshot with the rear subby removed and ive got a CBR single seat unit on there, made the brackets to fit.
Its an oil cooled frame (looks nicer) so the watercooled engine didnt fit straight in, had to make new mounts for it.
Will have the rad up front and the oil cooler under the seat.

Usd front end, standard with the frame.

Spondon 6'' extended swinger, may get this braced but ill see how that goes, quite like the look of it now.

Now for a few pics

This is the first bit of putting together.
DSC00424.jpg

101_0137.jpg

Some awesome bars I picked up cheap, custom made by the bloke but he didnt think they fitted in with his project, will fit in nicely with mine!
101_0135.jpg

Front and rear came together, still before the turbo stage so no extended swinger yet. The shock is from an R1 I think..
101_0185.jpg

Some trickery and spacing to make the shock fit
101_0184.jpg

A big ass turbo arrived on the scene...
101_0199.jpg

And so did a custom front cowl (again, 2 were made for a race bike and this was the spare so cheap to me!)
101_0213.jpg

Then it was time to make a ramp to get me off the floor
DSC00480.jpg

And some shiney bits arrived for me to make some headers up
101_0231.jpg

After muchos work they became this
DSC00511.jpg

DSC00515.jpg

DSC00516.jpg

Sadly, I don't think ill use these now, ive since managed to fit the oil cooler under the seat so will most likely get a set made up, proper balanced ones.

:D

Associate
OP
Next up is the engine strip down, this engine originally came in a race car I bought a few years back, was told it was from a side car race team and they'd never had it running, I replaced it with a standard engine I knew worked and left this in the corner, the race car was stolen a week later and this stayed in the corner for about 3 years!

So I stripped it down to see the condition of the inside and was amazed by what I found, ill let the pics do the talking.

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

DSC00529.jpg

101_0269.jpg

In short, a gold mine!!!!

This is all the work and more id have had to do myself, rebored to 77mm (1.5mm over standard), freshly re-built and never even ran!

They're Carillo rods and are proper expensive race rods, id have settled for Busa rods, they're stronger than the standard ones and will take the extra stress from the turbo. However, the Carillo ones are much strnger than the Busa ones!

First pics of the plenum came through from the builders

03032011464.jpg

03032011466.jpg

03032011468.jpg

And back at mine with the intake on

DSC00543.jpg

And on the bike with the turbo in place

DSC00560.jpg

Thats all for now folks!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Now, the most recent work.

Spondon extended swinger was aquired, much cheaper than the plan of getting one of mine extended..

DSC00570.jpg

The subby was always going to be a pain as the CBR sub frame mounts are a long way back so first off I mocked up the subby and made a template mount. Got another tank too which fits in much better.

101_0286.jpg

101_0305.jpg

101_0301-1.jpg

101_0302-1.jpg

101_0304-1.jpg

And the template, as you can see, quite a gap to make up!

101_0293.jpg

Also dosen't fit too well on the frame so will need to make a spacer plate up.

101_0294.jpg

101_0295.jpg

Now for the ally work, im using 10mm ally and as I dont have the knowledge/use of a mill then its all done by hand!

So ive made a rough one and bolted it to the second one, will trim them up and shape them both together from now.

DSC00574.jpg

DSC00575.jpg

DSC00578.jpg

Now to hold it all in place so its easy for the ally welder ive bolted the brackets to the spacer plates and to the frame.

DSC00581.jpg

DSC00583.jpg

DSC00584.jpg

DSC00585.jpg

To hold the sub frame true to the frame ive made some mounts to hold it in place, I can still alter the height at the front but they will keep it level with the frame.
Simple use of a wood floor off-cut is all thats needed

DSC00586.jpg

So all bolted up ready for the welder, even managed to sit on it and make brum brum whizzy pop noises!!

101_0312.jpg

Made a plate up to bolt the tank to and its pretty much ready for a trip to the welders now, will make up some oil cooler mounts first though.

This is where it'll fit, should still be enough room for battery, cdi etc etc.

101_0313.jpg

101_0315.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow.

I really do admire the technical know-how of the people who can do this sort of thing. Muchos respect.

My current aim is to become proficient enough to be able to strip my bike down to getting the top end off, and then rebuilding it. I'm a long way from that though... :p

Associate
OP
Hey, im a plumber (25) and although ive been messing with engines and cars since I left school ive only been riding 2 years so bikes are pretty new.
Never been on any courses etc I just learn as I go, its all in the research.

Im hoping for 220-250bhp out of it, its a road bike so I want it to be ridable and lively rather than have massive bhp and unreliable.

As for NOS, yes it would/could handle it, insurers however hate road bikes with NOS so charge mega premiums, water injection is always an option though...

Soldato
some inspiration for you :)

my mates busa weapon, terrifyingly quick and road legal too :)(albeit daytime mot)

IMG_0176.jpg

awesome project though, you have some serious skills :)

Associate
OP
some inspiration for you :)

my mates busa weapon, terrifyingly quick and road legal too :)(albeit daytime mot)

awesome project though, you have some serious skills :)

Seen that before, did he buy it recently?
Im sure it was being sold by someone who was moving abroad.

Thanks for the comments, ive just bought some lights so I can start to get the front sorted out, will try and get a welder sorted out in the next couple of weeks too.

Associate
OP
Foxtrot26; Thought id seen that Busa before, caught up on the project thread on OSS for it the other day!!

So a little update!!

Been a while and the build has sort of came to a stop, usual cash flow and other things in life!!

Have a collection of parts built up, boost controller, wastegate, carb so I can get the turbo mounted and the rest of the exhaust made up. Ive had the headers welded up, not the best but they'll be ok, ill get pics up soon :)

Update is for the new swinger though, GSXR K3/4 extended with oil catch tank. I must say, looks noice!!

Is also a few inches longer than the other extended swinger.

It takes a 6' busa wheel so wider than the 5.5' GSXR one I had. Just need to get a wheel!!

2011-07-26201122.jpg

2011-07-26201923.jpg

2011-07-26204256.jpg

:p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So here are the headers all welded up, just got to do some heating trickery to get them to fit as they've warped when they've been welded.

2011-07-28203402.jpg

Associate
OP
Wow its a long time since I updated this, the bike has taken on a new cooler look!!

Quick list of recent purchases

K3/4 extended and braced swinger, got a nice oil catch tank and looks the nuts with a 6'' Busa wheel.
Draw through carb, got my hands on an imaculate S&S super B, 47mm and quite big but there's no fancy stuff on it, proper race carb!
Newly rebuilt Garrett T3 turbo, came off a drag bike and has been built up with carbon seals and was used as a draw through.
Headers and up pipe with a wastegate. These were made to fit an oil cooled slingy and came from the same bike as the turbo, have been altering these to fit my bike.
Pingle 3 outlet fuel tap, just incase I should ever decided to run NOS....
K series clocks, not sure on these yet but they should bring a modern touch to an old bike.
And ive finally made a decision on fairings etc, bought a full set of plastics and tank off a Slingy, just missing one mount to properly mount the front cowl but they're about there.

So the swinger was first, simple swap but gives it a different look, its also a couple of inches longer.
Also allows me to have a 6'' rear wheel rather than the 5.5''.

2011-07-26204256.jpg

Then on to mounting the new turbo, its very tight in there but there's enough room. The exhaust from the turbo needs to be altered but you get the picture. Ive drilled and helicoiled the frame brace so its firmly in there now. Had to alter the mount off the top of the turbo to bring it higher in the frame and give me enough to clear to alternator.

2011-09-24124506.jpg

100_0552.jpg

And a view from the top with the carb mounted too, hopefully I can get the carb to sit another inch closer to the turbo, will give me a little more room on the outside

2011-09-23220054.jpg

Now to alter the last bit of the up pipe, very tight getting the bend in but it fits and it doesn't touch the plenum so we're good!

2011-09-24124630.jpg

2011-09-24125808.jpg

Now the headers, ive cut the outer 2 off as they were too wide for my engine, only a couple of bends for them so ive left them off as its easier to bolt on with only 2 to worry about!
The wastegate was coming off on the up pipe to the left side of the engine, id rather hide it so ive moved it so it comes out of the collector so is less visable. Also cut 2'' off the 'U' part and moved the flange down, this kicks the exhaust up at an angle to allow it to miss the water pipe on the side of the engine.
My welding is a bit ropey!

2011-09-24183036.jpg

2011-09-24182958.jpg

100_0547.jpg

Now for fairing pics!
Since getting the 1100wp ive fell for the looks even more, this makes it much better in my opinion

100_0549.jpg

100_0550.jpg

100_0544.jpg

100_0553.jpg

I cant stop looking at it :D

Back
Top Bottom