£2700 Dosh to Spend on a Super-Rig

Soldato
ua4ye.jpg

Pick your choice of graphics.

I did include a sealed watercooling unit - do consider that loops do actually need maintenance once a year, and it can be a time consuming task. Chucked in 2 27" IPS monitors - however these are the 8 bit ones (something to take in to account if she really is in to her Photoshopping and requires colour critical monitors). Good soundcard with good headphone bundle put in as she does audio work and gaming. 650D does include the fan controller kit, but if you want the proper fixed one you need to contact Redbeard at Corsair.

You might want to up the 1TB to 2TB since she is doing video work which loves to munch up disk space.

Last edited:
Soldato
why are some of you suggesting 1 580 to power 25x14 or 25x28 pixels? This woman is spending 3 large and I dont think she wants stuttering frame rates when gaming...

Personally if I was spending 3 grand I would want dell ultrasharps over hazro's (higher quality, more prestige), you want prestige with that kind of spend. Plus I would look to get 2 580s or even 2 6970 mis lightnings....

Soldato
sounds like a disaster in the making,

I would not install water cooling, what if the hose splits and the machine is trashed, she blames you for doing it wrong and the warranty is void....

a lot of people specing 8gb of ram, whats optimum for the rendering software? maybe 16gb would be better.

also what video card is recomended by the rendering software provider? do they provide any benchmarks so you can see spending £X more gives

overclocking for someone else I would never do...

Soldato
I think watercooling is fine, as long as she knows and accepts the maintenance.

To those people speccing non-reference GPUs for a watercooled build, what are you doing? The majority of people want full-cover blocks for their GPUs, and you're not going to get that with a non-reference card.

Of course, if in the end it turns out that watercooling is not quite what is right, try this setup instead:

YOUR BASKET
3 x Hazro HZ27WA 10-Bit 27" LED Widescreen Professional Glass Monitor - Black £479.99
1 x MSI Big Bang Marshal Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) **B3 REVISION** £259.99
1 x Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - OEM £219.98
3 x MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 OC Twin FrozR III Power Edition 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £209.99
1 x OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" SATA-3 Solid State Hard Drive (AGT3-25SAT3-120G) £194.99
1 x Corsair Graphite 600T Midi Tower Case - Limited Edition White £129.98
1 x Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 PCI-E Sound Card £83.99
2 x Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX) £74.39
1 x BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro CPU Cooler (Socket LGA 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366, AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / 754 / 939 / 940) £54.98
1 x LiteOn iHOS104-37 4x BD-ROM Drive / 8x DVD-ROM (Black) - OEM £41.99
4 x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ) £40.99
Total : £3,408.06 (includes shipping : £32.90).

And a Silverstone Strider ST1000-G 1000W 80Plus Gold PSU @ £162.46.

Yes, that's 27" monitor Eyefinity. 2GB VRAM required I think... :D

Last edited:
Associate
first of all,why are we all posting random posts without knowing some more details?

The basic question is, is she going to be using this computer for proffessional video editing ,or just for the videos of her friends?Because of what i see you are building a fancy gaming rig for editing purposes...It does not work that way in the editing bussiness.

1.Do you have a external storage for your videos?You do need a lot of space especially if you are shooting in HD and burning in Bluray.
2.I would not advice playing any kind of computer games on a professional system...

Associate
OP
1.Do you have a external storage for your videos?You do need a lot of space especially if you are shooting in HD and burning in Bluray.
2.I would not advice playing any kind of computer games on a professional system...

She has a 3 TB NAS setup in her basement. However, She was wondering whether she should stretch her budget to RAID some SSD's.. about 500 GB worth or so.

Associate
Well if were going for a GTX590 + 2600K thrn you'll want at the very minimum a 120.4 Rad or 2 x 120.2's... If your going for either super silence or heavy overclocks you'll want 2 x 120.3's

Here's want I'd suggest for watercooling.

Radiator (s) EK CoolStream XT 360mm Triple Radiator : XT 360 £48 x 2 (£96)

Pump + Res: Laing DDC1+ Ultra Pump 600 L/hr with XSPC Reservoir Top (£80)

CPU Block: Watercool Heatkiller LT Rev 3 CPU Waterblock for Intel 1155 (£40)

GPU Block: EK FC590 GTX Full Cover Waterblock for NVIDIA 590 GTX Graphics Card (£100)

Fittings: EK PSC 1/4" Thread Compression Fitting for 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD Tubing : Black (£3 x 8 = £24) + Bitspower 1/4" Thread Rotary 45 Degree Fitting Matt Black (£4 x 4 = £16)

Tubing: XSPC 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD (13-19mm) High Flex Tubing (£3 x 2 =£6) 2 Metres

Fluid/Coolant Feser Aqua Cooling Fluid (bi-distilled) (£5) + Petra's Tech PT Nuke Concentrated Biocide (£3.50)

Fans: Scythe Kaze Jyuni Slipstream 120mm Fan 1200 RPM (£7 x 6 = £42)

Total: 412.50

Watercooling done right.

Ib_compl3xity, you should spec a build for her! (I don't know anything about watercooling) then u can build it for her too since u offered and also because u obviously know your stuff xD.

Soldato
Ib_compl3xity, you should spec a build for her! (I don't know anything about watercooling) then u can build it for her too since u offered and also because u obviously know your stuff xD.

Does he? What case are you going to stick two 360 radiators in? Not only that, those EK radiators aren't that brilliant in comparison to others on the market, and 18W DDCs are not the quietest of things, which is only exacerbated by the XSPC top. On top of this, a silver kill coil would be better than PT Nuke, and why pay for Feser water when you can get distilled much cheaper from the chemists.

And one last thing, a GTX590 is a waste of money vs 2 6970s with waterblocks for the same money, or 2 GTX480s with waterblocks for less.

Associate
Does he? What case are you going to stick two 360 radiators in? Not only that, those EK radiators aren't that brilliant in comparison to others on the market, and 18W DDCs are not the quietest of things, which is only exacerbated by the XSPC top. On top of this, a silver kill coil would be better than PT Nuke, and why pay for Feser water when you can get distilled much cheaper from the chemists.

And one last thing, a GTX590 is a waste of money vs 2 6970s with waterblocks for the same money, or 2 GTX480s with waterblocks for less.

You make some valid points but is she going for silence...? Didn't see it mentioned in the OP so I was assuming not.

1 internal radiator (There's a lot of full towers that can accomidate a 360 Rad, and 1 externally. or get something like the silversone tj07 ultimate :D

I have a 18W DDC (and a 10W) and its not loud... granted its not whisper quiet but is she going for slience?

Why drive to a chemist for water, when it costs £4 out of a budget of £2700-£3600? Hardly worth the petral, parking costs, time or hassle. (none of my local chemists even stock it)

I only included a GTX590 block as thats what OP suggested. I agree there are better alternatives.

Soldato

Well, most people watercool for silence now, especially on SB which hardly benefits from watercooling (as it's not the cooling that's holding them back), and if a GTX570/580 is used then again the stock coolers are pretty quiet.

As the OP specified a very good looking case, having a radiator tacked on the back might not cut it...

A TJ-07 would be ideal, but by the time the insides are sprayed black, and it's modified for a 360 in the roof as well as a 480 in the bottom (though frankly a 480 would do, though the 360 would help silence) it's a bit pricy, and extra HDD bays would have to be bought.

I've never got on with DDCs noise wise, though the D5 isn't a thousand times better at full to be honest. An Eheim would be good for silence...

Valid point on the chemists, though I thought Feser might have added a load of **** to the fluid which might harm long term loop reliability.

I hadn't realised there was anything pertaining to a GTX590 in the OP? Though I may have misread.

Associate

Yeah I guess a huge rad sticking out the back isn't everyones cuppa, just ordered a TJ07 ultimate from very cold personal computer (if you catch my drift) for £330, its pricey but its one hell of a case.

I've found with DDC's if you don't put anti vibration material underneeth then they can be alittle noisy, the supplied foam is good enough :)

Feser's Bi distilled water is exactly that, not had a problem with it tbh, I'd recommend it...saves you from the dissapointment when you walk all the way to the chemists and they don't have any! argh! :(

I agree about the stock coolers on the 570/580 cards, there good... although like most not good enough in SLI (when sandwiched together)

Had 2 GTX570's and also 2 HD6970's rev up to 100% fan speed in unigene heaven at stock speeds... mind you I am using a Corsair obsidian 800D :o

Soldato
I think you'd be best off referring this woman to the OCUK shop rather than having randoms off a forum doing the build.

It would be much simpler with regards to warranty and RMA(God forbid there's a reason to)

Plus the fact a stranger would be handling £2000+ worth of equipment

Associate
She might want to wait until benches for Bulldozer become available (presumably in the next week - 10 days).

Doubt if Quadro / Fire cards are necessary.

As far as the case is concerned, ask her to have a look at the Lian Li site.

Back
Top Bottom