What about older Canon cameras?

Soldato
OK, 3 months later than I wished, but Im looking to buy my missus a DSLR.
I know that she wants a Canon as she has used a Canon at work and likes the control layouts and the menu system and her P&S camera is a Canon..

With my budget of around £350, it will be 2nd hand or refurbished. I don't really know that much about Canons, but was looking at maybe a 400D as I think I can get one for around that price..
I also saw the 1000D, is that an OK camera..

Any other models that I should look at, or are there any issues with the 400D that Im not aware of..

I don't want to buy new as Im not sure whether this is just a phase she is going through, but Im hoping that it isn't, as then she will understand why im about to spend £350 on a macro lens :D
Besides it would be nice to have her with me when i go off out and about for a few hours to take some photo's - I think..

Soldato
That's a good point. :)

My Mrs went from a 10D to a 350D for just that reason.

That said she has just moved back to a 30D as she felt a little constrained by the control interface of the 350D.

It's swings and roundabouts really. I personally would also go with a 40D if the weight isn't too much of an issue.

gt

Soldato
But you're used to it. My first full event with a 5DmkII+grip/24-70 gave me some aches.

I bought GT's Missus' 10D, it's the perfect weight with the grip on, that said if she struggled with it it may still be a bit OTT.

I'd still reckon the 40D is the best bet.

Soldato
I have to say weight was never an issue for me either, I shot an entire day with a gripped 400D, 70-200 f4l and a bag full of lenses and didn't have an issue.

For the cost of an extra 200-250g definitely get the better camera, i.e. the 40D :)

Soldato
Is a lens also needed within that budget? If so I'd look into a used 450d with kit lens. Has a better lens than the 400d but at that budget you wouldn't get a lens with a 40d body.

Soldato
Well I'm going to disagree with most here, the 400D is an ideal choice, I have one, and a 5D. I choose to leave the 5D at home when taking a holiday to cape verde couple of weeks ago. Simply because it was a holiday not a photo trip and I wanted to travel light.
It performed great and did what I wanted and gave me some fine pictures.
I put a used sigma 17-70 lens on it, that the guy's here recommended. Cracking little lens. The lens cost me 180 of the bay, can't remember about the body, but think the pair will come in budget.

You don't need the latest hardware or pro-am kit to get great pictures.

Soldato
OP
I thought the 400D would be a good beginers model, I think the 40D is overkill..
Are there any significant differences between the 400D and the 100D as they are both 10MP?
I was looking at the 450D, but think that might be stretching the budget a bit..

Last edited:
Soldato
1000d seems to use bits from the leftover bin when they started on the 450/500d to make a newer "lower range" camera, I'd still consider a 400d over it.

The 450 is a bit of a jump from a 400d but I would have thought a good boxed one would still be within budget, there's a 500d (again another jump up) on TP for £325 posted without lens which you could probably wiggle down as there's little interest, then find a canon mkII kitlens for £50 from somewhere :)

Soldato
OP
Chhers for the heads up Steeps..
Never considered TP, was looking on the bay..

edit - 100 posts minimum to access classifieds :eek:
I think the 40D is out of budget in any case, I might just be able to get a body for my budget..

Last edited:
Associate
the 1000d sits between the 400d and 450d. it shares some features with each.

having owned a 1000d, its a very capable body and though it feels a little plasticy, is well put together and fairly robust.

if you can get one second hand, i'd definitely recommend it.

TG

Soldato
OP
Ended up doing quite well I think...

Sale to include:
Digital Camera EOS 450D
Zoom Lens EFS18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS
Wide strap EW-100DBIII
Battery Charger LC-E5E
Battery pack LP-ES
Interface Cable IFC-200U
Video Cable VC-100
Software (CD-ROM)
Pocket guide to camera

Extras:
Gorilla pod (flexible tripod with spirit level)
LowePro Camera bag with shoulder strap
2x Memory cards (1x 2gb & 1x 1gb)
Remote shutter release RS60-E3
UV Filter

£325

Now I have someone to share my hobby with, just hope she likes it..

In celebration Im thinking of treating myself to a new lens, all I have to decide is which one

Sigma MACRO 105mm F2.8 EX DG (AF Lens)
Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro

or upgrade the Kit lens to the 18-135 f3.5 WR

Choices choices, the macro is favourite as I really want to get some nice water drops and soap bubble, oil/water type shots as that is one of the reasons why i bought a dslr (aside from the gadget envy at the ocuk meet!)
I will let you know whether she likes her b'day present - if not you might see it on members market!!

Associate
450D is a good choice for a girl. My wife liked the size of the my 400D over the 7D !
As the 7D was over kill for her !
At least the 450D can grow with the ability of the user and is a versy capable DSLR, a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom