An error with my build

Soldato
try again, unplug PSU, pop the battery out, short the jumper, ... but reboot in the BIOS. Use XMP profile in advanced setup, check voltages, timings and frequency (xmp for vengeance should be 8-8-8-24 1.5V 1600MHz). If it's still borked, don't use XMP profile, but input manually, and choose a lower frequency (1333MHz). Keep voltages to minimum (1.5V) in case.

Maybe try a new battery maybe as a last resort :'(

That's all I have.

Last edited:
Associate
CMOS reset. Then try single memory module in each of the 4 channels, one after another. Then repeat with the other memory module. Note any beeps and come back to us.

Did you try this? Looks like a good plan to me. If so, did you leave the jumper in reset mode for long enough? (5 mins or so for each reset - just to be on the safe side). When resetting cmos repeatedly like that it's easy to forget to move the jumper sometimes.

Associate
OP
I left it for like 30seconds. The manual says it needs only 10s and you should power up in the reset position (which won't work ) to reset everything.

Plus its not much of a fix if I have to do that EVERY time I wish to boot...

Associate
you sure the 8pin is connected, as I didn't put mine in properly, and it did the same, pushed in correctly, voila.

Check it is in all the way :)

Associate
OP
you sure the 8pin is connected, as I didn't put mine in properly, and it did the same, pushed in correctly, voila.

Check it is in all the way :)

Was this with a P8P67 PRO?

i'm currently waiting on a pair of plyers for an out of case run, if still buggered then the mobo is going back for testing long with RAM and CPU.

Associate
Hi Luna, it's a long shot but have you tried unplugged front panel connectors; USB, 1394, maybe even hdd light and whatnot..

Might sound odd but it caught me out on troubleshooting for months, was about to scrap the motherboard as dud and restart but it ended up being the new case's 1394 connector... and a very similar sounding problem but i had zilch on screen 95% of the time, occasionally it would boot and i could reach the BIOS but other than that it was dead.

Associate
OP
Tried out of case without headers and still no luck.

Supplier offers a self-build test for a possible £30 charge.

I'm gonna take that up I think, no point paying £1000 for a large brick.

Associate
I left it for like 30seconds. The manual says it needs only 10s and you should power up in the reset position (which won't work ) to reset everything.

Plus its not much of a fix if I have to do that EVERY time I wish to boot...

Are you sure the manual says to power up with the link in reset/clear position? Usually it is advised that the pc be unplugged from the supply then press the power button. I.e it can not power up. I've not seen a manual that suggests powering up in that mode.
The purpose of this is to discharge capacitors and help ensure the cmos is cleared.

Also, the manual will be correct about 10s reset in normal conditions but if you ask around the forums, many folk will suggest 30s to 5 minutes if a cmos is suspected of being a little bit stubborn or doubtful.

Soldato
1. Unplug all the drives completely
2. Confirm the GPU is seated and powered with both power leads in properly
3. Confirm the CPU and Fan are installed ok (with fan header connected to the MB.
4. Remove all RAM bar 1 stick.
5. Confirm all MB power connectors are installed correctly (24pin + 8 pin ? I’m rusy on whats current as my current rig is S775 so is 24+8)
6. switch it on and report back.

its an EFI AMI BIOS btw so 1 long, 3 short points to conventional/extended memory failure

Associate
OP
Hey all just an update for ya.

Sent entire PC back to supplier (they were more than happy to accept it, as all parts were from them, although they were happy even if it wasn't)

Faulty mobo. Swapped out there and then by the tech support.

Apparently works perfect. Will see as it arrives tomorrrow :D

Back
Top Bottom