• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Gigabyte Super OC GTX 480's - VERY LOW PRICES!**

AzZ

AzZ

Associate
Depends on budget really. I wouldn't pay more for power I'm not going to need, unless you know your going to run an SLi/xfire setup in the future.

Associate
Hey guys im also part of this problem now bought the SOC had artifacting even when voltage was increased to 1.1 and when clocks were below standard 480 clocks, changed drivers 5 times to different ones each time 275.27 i think and then further back again and again still didnt resolve the issue so maybe it was a complete dud? checked in OCCT got thousands of errors in less than 2minutes no matter the voltage or clock got told by OCUK that OCCT isnt a good test etc as ive seen people mention on this topic, so sent the card in got a message saying all was fine and that it was shipped back to me bearing in mind id asked them to test Batman AA as thats where the artifacts were most noticable that didnt get tested and i was charge £22 for testing and postage bearing in mind it cost me £22 to send it back which i couldnt get back lol anyways had the same problem sent it back for refund but im unsure what to do next should i get another SOC and see if its anybetter etc? or get a 570 and OC it but the 570 seems to have issues with its phase control and blows up its VRM so im not sure what to do any advice?? id get the 570 from ****** as they have a evga superclocked 570 for the same price as OCUK's MSI 570 card

No competitor mentioning please.

Soldato
You do know you cant mention competioirs right?

RMA the card to Gigabyte and see what happens. If it is found faulty, ocuk will refynd you the testing fee. I have no idea how it cost £20 to send it to them. Shoukd only have been £10! Lol

Associate

RMA the card to Gigabyte and see what happens. If it is found faulty, ocuk will refynd you the testing fee. I have no idea how it cost £20 to send it to them. Shoukd only have been £10! Lol

Nope just found out now :D wont be naming again didnt realise. It cost that because i had to insure it incase it was lost and that was £200+ insurance, also i had to send it next day with having uni work to do and my only machine being without a gpu =( ive sent it back to OCUK today for a refund so its too late to send to gigabyte but even if i could ive heard it can take 2+ weeks to get it back and i havent got that ammount of time to wait around for gigabyte to test it etc and ship it back. Am i best taking the 570 or trying another SOC?

Soldato
2 of these cards wouldnt work very well. Thetd b too hot. Your case temos would rise a lot.

Well I've got two 480 SE's so I hope not. Though the second isn't in my case yet. Got to wait to go back home to get the sli bridge first.

Figured it's only a problem with you have a poor cpu cooler and a poor case. corsair 650d should handle it...I hope.

Associate

Royal mail special delivery whuch is insured up to £500 is £9.60:)

I would get another SOC.

It cost me £17+ to send my card back to OCUK as well. No idea how you managed it at half the price. The person behind the counter tried various different ways of sending it and £17+change was the cheapest.

why do companies not use occt for gpu checking?

are they scared it will prove beyond doubt that a card is faulty?

To be honest, I can think that is the only reason. Don't forget a card can be faulty but certain tests won't show up the error, just like certain games won't. The card lives on for weeks/months/years, and then something comes out that goes "well the cards are capable of X according to the reference specification, let's do it" and poof.

You need a testing method that tests everything on the card, tests it all simultaniously and all at 100%. That's the only way to test it correctly, I doubt OCCT does that, but it's a damn sight better than running a game.

I think OCCT should walk the fps and tests as well (it doesn't), a card maxed out doing 30 fps will behave differently than at 200 fps, especially with PhysX. If the card is maxed out (eg) rendering lots of little particles thats one thing, but what about maxing out the shader, maxing out the memory and maxing out the PhysX etc.

When every bit of the chip/card is running at maximum and is still having it's temperature kept in check then the card can be said to be ok, but you also need to see what happens if you max out a, but only half max out b etc.

Associate
I am arranging my RMA with GB at the moment.

I spoke to there tech support department to discuss my issues and his response was "if it's under 105 it's fine". Yeah...ok mate, your card is supposed to cooler and faster than the stock one. I would except maybe a few degree's hotter, but breaching 100 degrees is not ok.

Soldato
I've not had much time toplay with mine this week-but core volts/scaling is very odd indeed

765/1890 - stable at 1.025 (thats under the stock volts) - 20 mins of Furmark

800/1900 - not stable even at 1.088V - thats a heck of an increase in volts for very little increase in core for still no stability

whats odd is 800/1850 (stock memory speed) - is even LESS stable

its a very odd card

Soldato
It cost me £17+ to send my card back to OCUK as well. No idea how you managed it at half the price. The person behind the counter tried various different ways of sending it and £17+change was the cheapest.

Send it in original packaging. card only. one layer of bubblewrap around the card and that should be less than 2kg. That should be £9.60 for RMSD

I am arranging my RMA with GB at the moment.

I spoke to there tech support department to discuss my issues and his response was "if it's under 105 it's fine". Yeah...ok mate, your card is supposed to cooler and faster than the stock one. I would except maybe a few degree's hotter, but breaching 100 degrees is not ok.

I think he meant that 105 was max safe temp

I've not had much time toplay with mine this week-but core volts/scaling is very odd indeed

765/1890 - stable at 1.025 (thats under the stock volts) - 20 mins of Furmark

800/1900 - not stable even at 1.088V - thats a heck of an increase in volts for very little increase in core for still no stability

whats odd is 800/1850 (stock memory speed) - is even LESS stable

its a very odd card

So have you tested in another system?

Associate
Sent the SOC back to overclockers and ordered an Gigabyte GeForce GTX 480 SE instead. Installed the SE and it is better in every way. Even clocked at 820Mhz it is more stable, runs on less voltage and runs 15 - 20 degrees cooler while gaming. Very happy with it. Recommend the SE over the SOC to anyone mulling it over.

I noticed that the PCB revision on the SOC was version 1.xx while the PCB revision on the SE is version 2.xx .

Back
Top Bottom