Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
You can use RAID 5 or RAID Z (if you use an OS that supports) it offers both. If a drive dies it can rebuild the data when a new drive is installed in place of the one that has died.
I personally wouldn't rely on this alone for redundancy purposes though.

Associate
Being a complete Noob to Raid
If I were to buy 4 * 2TB disks which would be the best Raid Set up to use also could I use the disk that comes with the unit as the OS drive in the CD rom Drive Space

As others have said, RAID5 or RAID Z. Also check out UnRAID.

You can use the CD ROM bay by fitting an Icybox. Have a Google and you will find the right part. I have a 2TB drive in there and a 2.5 inch underneath it as well. Six drives in total.

Regards,

Simpic

Associate
You can use RAID 5 or RAID Z (if you use an OS that supports) it offers both. If a drive dies it can rebuild the data when a new drive is installed in place of the one that has died.
I personally wouldn't rely on this alone for redundancy purposes though.
Ok Raid 5 it will probably be then, I am probably going to try 2008R2 Standard or maybe a linux variant, looking through all the threads is just mind blowing as to which way to go, don't suppose anyone has done a how too guide for a few different variations dependent on what you are trying to accomplish.

Associate
As others have said, RAID5 or RAID Z. Also check out UnRAID.

You can use the CD ROM bay by fitting an Icybox. Have a Google and you will find the right part. I have a 2TB drive in there and a 2.5 inch underneath it as well. Six drives in total.

Regards,

Simpic

Yahh I have read a couple of your posts not really sure I need 6 drives to be honest, just thought it would be a good idea to use the 4 bay as the NAS/Storage and a separate drive as the OS

Soldato
Anyone done a 6 x 2TB unRAID build? I assume there is no space for a 6th 3.5" hard drive internally but you could use an external eSATA enclosure?

Soldato
Anyone done a 6 x 2TB unRAID build? I assume there is no space for a 6th 3.5" hard drive internally but you could use an external eSATA enclosure?

There is a 3.5" sized "bay" underneath, but access is limited and would require you to reroute the power connectors for the drives below.

You can just use an eSATA as you mention.

Soldato
Which BIOS hack and operating system are you using, may I ask? The only detailed report I've heard of the eSATA port working to provide 6 drives is from someone using a Windows installation who configured it on the off-chance using device manager :confused:

Having tried pretty much everything to get this working, I've now given up and splashed out on a cheap SiL 3132 chipset PCIe RAID card to run my boot drive off. Will update, hopefully with great success, when I receive it :)

The most recent hacked BIOS, so not the very larest HP one. Running W7.

Didn't have to do anything special to make it work.

Soldato
The most recent hacked BIOS, so not the very larest HP one. Running W7.

Didn't have to do anything special to make it work.
Very frustrating. Can't get any sign of the eSATA port working; both 2.5" and 3.5" drives, both old and new BIOS hacks, both 160GB and 250GB model MicroServers... no eSATA at all.

Beginning to think it might be my eSATA->SATA cable, although I have no means of testing it. Either way, I've got my PCIe RAID card winging its way to me now so that should remove the need for all this kerfuffle :o

Associate
Very frustrating. Can't get any sign of the eSATA port working; both 2.5" and 3.5" drives, both old and new BIOS hacks, both 160GB and 250GB model MicroServers... no eSATA at all.

Beginning to think it might be my eSATA->SATA cable, although I have no means of testing it. Either way, I've got my PCIe RAID card winging its way to me now so that should remove the need for all this kerfuffle :o

SNAP

i have just taken the drive out of my lappy, no joy. Then taken the one from my external hdd, no joy. I have complained to the people who supplied my esata cable and they sent out a new one, still no joy. Seriously i am running out of hair and am loath to by an esata enclosure if it wont work.

edit: just tested cables with a multimeter and they appear to be electrically sound.

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
Associate
Thats not the latest BIOS. Thats from 4 months ago. New one available now.

Well, a quick search on hp.com still shows me the revision O41A BIOS dated 2nd April 2011 that I linked to in my previous post.

Where are you seeing a more recent BIOS? is it a beta?

It's also not 4 months old. You're aware that Americans list dates different to what we do right? Look at the dates on the other BIOS's below to compare.

*edit*
Sorry, I see what you mean. I didn't realize the USB link was a BIOS as I never used it. I just downloaded the latest BIOS from hp.com and applied the same files listed in the hack. Worked fine for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
*edit*
Sorry, I see what you mean. I didn't realize the USB link was a BIOS as I never used it. I just downloaded the latest BIOS from hp.com and applied the same files listed in the hack. Worked fine for me.

So you can confirm you used BIOS:

2011.04.02 (A) (27 May 2011)

With the hack from wegotserved.com and it works?

Back
Top Bottom