Holy **** my motherboard just exploded!

Permabanned
:eek:

So there I was, prime testing my Watercooled CPU while browsing OCUK, when suddenly, the PC shuts down, with a slight smell of fusing. A little bemused, I unplug it from the wall, have a look inside, everything seems fine. Plug it in again, press the power button and BOOM! the mosfets set on fire :eek:. So clearly the mobo is dead (Msi p55 gd65), but I'm worried about just how much damage this could have done... My PC isn't exactly bargain basement, my GTX 580 is right below these mosfets...

Basically how worried should I be, and does anyone have a spare lga1156 board I can borrow for testing? I really can't afford this right now, my luck is just going from bad to worse with this build... I was only pushing 1.45v through the CPU, and the temps were nowhere near what I would call abnormal... But I doubt I will ever buy an Msi board again after this...

Edit: pic of the CPU

8a8dc1eb.jpg

And of the mosfets (burnt area visible)

7986c9d3.jpg

I'm really struggling to not start crying or break down right now, everything has just gone wrong for me recently, and I can't afford a new PC... ****s sake! The motherboard is out of warranty as well...

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Yes, but these mosfets are rated for a great deal higher, frankly, that they would burn out like this is ridiculous... Anyone got any knowledge of the Asus p55d e motherboard? , considering this as an interim until lga2011...

Permabanned
OP
Yeah, you are telling me...

Not even sure how it happened, as I said the mosfets were running well within temperature limits, there was no water leak or screws caught, I was just priming at 4ghz with 1.45 volts!

Soldato
Unlucky dude, hopefully the CPU isn't toast also... :(

It the board really out of warranty? I use Gigabyte boards myself and they usually come with a 3 year warranty so it may be worth checking to be sure...

Also, how if your case airflow? Remember an air CPU cooler also cools the mosfets and if you watercool you still need some airflow especially near the CPU socket.

Permabanned
OP
I have front to back and top to bottom airflow as well as the waterloop, and as I said the mosfets were within temp range (had hwmonitor up).

I bought the board about a year ago second hand, so doubt it would still be within warranty... I am starting to doubt I have damaged anything else, as the PC shut down pretty damn quick both times, although there was actual flame the second time...

Soldato
A fly probably got in your case and short circuited itself. BBBBBZZZZZTTTT!
Damn those bluebottles >Shakes fist in the air!

Jokes aside, I feel for you, it drove me nuts couple weeks back when my mobo borked itself, no pc :(

Soldato
I have front to back and top to bottom airflow as well as the waterloop, and as I said the mosfets were within temp range (had hwmonitor up).
Hmm, in that case I think the failure is down to the board then, pure and simple. Mosfets are usually pretty robust and withstand pretty high temps, so to see one go up on flames is pretty rare but it does happen... :(
I bought the board about a year ago second hand, so doubt it would still be within warranty... I am starting to doubt I have damaged anything else, as the PC shut down pretty damn quick both times, although there was actual flame the second time...
It's still work checking the warranty if you can, I recently RMA'ed some Ram even though I got it 2nd hand, you never know you may be able to put the serial number in on the MSI website and it tells you the remaining warranty like you can with a HDD... :)

Associate
How old is your Mobo? If it's under six months, you may be able to get a replacement under the sale of goods act. Before six months, the onus is on the vendor to prove the fault was not there when the item was sold. After six months, it's up to the owner to prove the fault existed.

Only problem with warranty is that if you overclock, and that is found to be the cause of the failure - no warranty.

But sounds like it could have been a manufacturing fault.

jcr

jcr

Associate
had this happen to a mb of mine recently. was caused by a faulty psu. if i were you i'd check the psu before plugging it in to a new board.

Soldato
Sorry to hear that bro, I'd shoot for a warranty replacement just to chance your arm. It might just be your mobo that needs replacing so shouldn't be too bad a hit. Can't tell from the pic but it looks like one of your cpu pins is a bit grey? Might want to inspect closely.

Back
Top Bottom