WWE.

Consigliere
I never understood it as a child whereas my friends loved it. They spent hours watching it, they bought the action figures and all the various different games.

I just flicked onto it again and i still don't understand it.

Is it simply a 'soap opera' style show with pretend fighting? I am well aware it was scripted (and i told my friends this when i was 11/12 but none of them believed me surprisingly enough! :o) but i just don't see how anyone could enjoy it. It also looks quite homo-erotic...lots of toned topless men strutting around in tight coloured trunks. :p

I do appreciate the skills/talent that the actors have in doing what they do but apart from that i'm stumped.

Anyone a fan here and want to shed some light on the subject?

Caporegime
No different than most tv really is it. Every 'soap' has it's charachters that people love or hate, that the like to see on tv.

You either get it or you don't, same as corrie or 'enders :)

Some of the fights are great, you can see the effort of the ref and the fighters. You'd find it hard not to appreciate the skill, strength and stamina that some of them display :)

Man of Honour
IIt also looks quite homo-erotic...lots of toned topless men strutting around in tight coloured trunks. :p

When I watched they were mostly fat overweight slobs. I used to watch it for a bit of a laugh on a Friday night unwinding from a hard week in the office. I never understood the people that took it seriously. You should ask this question in the sports arena. I bet you’ll get more interesting reply’s then in here.

Soldato
its just entertainment.

some people like star trek some people like corrie some like wwe.

not as good as it used to be and not as much wrestling in it now. theres something like 20 mins of wrestling in a 2 hours showing of raw.

ive not watched it for a few weeks as its got a bit boring. will be watching summerslam next year just for the rock v cena.

Who the hell would still watch this now mma is common place?

mma is just fighting isnt it? no story?

wwe, adults i would assume watch for the story.

Last edited:
Associate
When I used to watch it all my friends knew it was fake. We,like many others just enjoyed the entertainment. You're mostly guaranteed some decently scripted fights whereas with MMA it could be one match with a quick 20 second knockout, one which is them trying different submissions while lying on the floor and nothing good at all. I watch neither but if I had to choose I think I would watch a WWE show over a UFC one to be honest.

Associate
I watch the WWE along with TNA though I prefer TNA, I also liked WCW back in the day but that has was bought years ago by WWE :(

People like watching soap opera's like arseenders and corrie etc to us WWE/TNA/wrestling is our soap opera :D

Stoner81.

Soldato
WWE is basically a soap opera, yes. Of late it has become hugely predictable in it's format though.

TNA is more of the same - the story's aren't as good but the actual wrestling is better.

WWE have since changed their name from World Wrestling Entertainment to WWE Inc. thus dropping any mentioned of "wrestling" from their name. They want to focus on a variety of different entertainment. It kind of shows too, as the storylines have become pretty samey and the big characters are portrayed, more or less, as heroes. Whereas TNA have recently shifted focus to proper wrestling, so as such the fights are much better.

Anyway, to the point - it's all mindless entertainment but none of it is as good as the Attitude era WWE.

Associate
I still don't get it.

Soaps are all rubbish, why would I want a story line just as bad but with semi naked men/women that look like men that can't act?

Not saying you shouldn't watch it, but I do wonder what the appeal is. The games are fun with friends though :)

Caporegime
I still don't get it.

Soaps are all rubbish, why would I want a story line just as bad but with semi naked men/women that look like men that can't act?

Not saying you shouldn't watch it, but I do wonder what the appeal is. The games are fun with friends though :)

Soaps pull in the biggest audiences, you make think they are pointless, millions of people would disagree ;)
Also, comparing to MMA is stupid. One is a sport, the other isn't :p

Do you watch anything like House or Star Trek or CSI etc?

Man of Honour
I too assumed it to be real though of course years later can't do anything but laugh at it.

Back then it was the only violent thing we could watch. Boxing wasn't as physical, martial arts either wasn't on tv or hadn't been formed yet (MMA).

Associate
Soaps pull in the biggest audiences, you make think they are pointless, millions of people would disagree ;)
Also, comparing to MMA is stupid. One is a sport, the other isn't :p

Do you watch anything like House or Star Trek or CSI etc?

I'm not having a go, you are welcome to watch anything you like, I was just expressing my opinion and wanted to know what the appeal was but surely there is only so many stories you can have centered around wrestling? Or am I just ill informed?

Caporegime
The stories are not all centered around wrestling, the stories can be about anything.
It all ends up with a fight though :p

How many stories can a medical program have? They all get covered after a short time and ALL normal soaps show the same sort of stories as each other. Doesn't stop people watching them though :p

Oh, I never said you weren't allowed an opinion, I was just asking what you watch :p

Last edited:
Associate
The stories are not all centered around wrestling, the stories can be about anything.

How many stories can a medical program have? They all get covered after a short time and ALL normal soaps show the same sort of stories as each other. Doesn't stop people watching them though :p

Oh, I never said you weren't allowed an opinion, I was just asking what you watch :p

I only really watch documetaries and shows like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Treme and Deadwood etc

Some sport is okay, mma international football but snooker is my favorite., I sound like my grandad :)

Consigliere
OP

Can you give an example? :o

I mean, there isn't a "set" like soaps have. There isn't a local pub, local shop, local bar that changes ownership every 20 episodes is there? :p

Associate
Can you give an example? :o

I mean, there isn't a "set" like soaps have. There isn't a local pub, local shop, local bar that changes ownership every 20 episodes is there? :p

Well they have backstage areas and the woman get involved too and they fight over the women and if one guy goes a bit potty then they have a fight then a feud but that **** is not important....

Your post count is insane, are you the highest? Never seen you on forums before XD

Consigliere
OP
Well they have backstage areas and the woman get involved too and they fight over the women and if one guy goes a bit potty then they have a fight then a feud but that **** is not important....

Your post count is insane, are you the highest? Never seen you on forums before XD

I won my posts in a charity auction. I really have around 20k.

Backstage? Okay that gives it a bit more scope...i'll have to start watching or read some of the plots. It just seems so restrictive...only so many plots they could do surely!

Associate
Well they recycle a hell of a lot of plot lines, I watch bits here and there and normally watch wrestlemania. Everything is based around Face vs Heel. This way the fans are interested as everyone wants the face to win obviously. (Except recently there is a guy called John Cena who everyone hates cause he is **** at wrestling and he never loses important matches and is almost always holding the championship or challenging for it yet the WWE still insist on trying to get him over with the fans as a 'goodie'). When Tag teams break up there can be plots involving them feuding. Also when wrestlers turn their back on their 'friends' they can then have a feud and a series of matches. The storylines seem to be quite boring nowadays although I'm not really into them.

I remember when The owner of the companies daughter got married to one of the big stars at the company. (Stephanie Mcmahon and Triple H) They did it all on camera then it was made into a storyline, then they had her go off with another wrestler prompting another feud (this was all for the cameras although they are married in real life). There tended to be a lot more diva involvement before. Also you have stables which are groups of people who stick together and they can become dominant. It's very difficult to explain it all. Mainly now though they all go mad with each other cause they want to win the championships, there is no where near as much backstage funny stuff as there used to be and I dont like it any more :p

Back
Top Bottom