Cat Crossbow bolt in head

Man of Honour
Sorry rat poison? So it could die slowly by having a stroke...

Agree with both points above. I feel sorry for the cat but not the owners. It's a domesticated animal yet for some reason there are no laws that protect others. Dog owners are forced to clean up after their animals even if they let them loose in parks. Yet cats are notorious for using neighbours' gardens as toilets and leaving others to clean up their mess - and there's nothing to force the owners to do anything.

People don't also realise just how obvious and smelly cat crap is as well.

Soldato
And what about wild foxes, badgers, squirrels, all manner of birds - this list is pretty endless. All life, be it human or other, lives breaths eats and defecates. Just because you do it in a toilet and move the problem to a different area doesn't make you any less of the same problem.

Guess what folks, the outside is dirty. Over-reacting about a cat poo to your back garden is like adding a grain of salt to a soup and calling it too salty.

I live in the countryside Bunny, so I am very used to what Nature is all about :p

The difference is the cat is a pet and thus supposedly under your control, the rest of the animals you described are wild animals, and if they intruded into my garden I could shoot them if I was so inclined (i'm not btw :p - oh and except badgers who are a protected species), though I can't shoot your cat for the same thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry rat poison? So it could die slowly by having a stroke...

Agree with both points above. I feel sorry for the cat but not the owners. It's a domesticated animal yet for some reason there are no laws that protect others. Dog owners are forced to clean up after their animals even if they let them loose in parks. Yet cats are notorious for using neighbours' gardens as toilets and leaving others to clean up their mess - and there's nothing to force the owners to do anything.

People don't also realise just how obvious and smelly cat crap is as well.

Firstly cat carp dosen't smell unless they have a bad diet, i have 4 cats and their poo don't smell.

Also please tell me why if i run your dog over i have to report it to the police or face arrest, yet if someone runs over a cat they are allowed to leave it at the side of the road and carry on.

Caporegime
utterly disgusting that poor thing :(

However this did annoy me a little

"It could very easily have missed Spike and... killed a child. That's the worse thing about it."

It's like one of those coppers on the road saying " What if someone was walking across the road at the time ". Yeh well it didn't happen, lets just focus on the poor cat eh :(

Soldato
Firstly cat carp dosen't smell unless they have a bad diet, i have 4 cats and their poo don't smell.

Also please tell me why if i run your dog over i have to report it to the police or face arrest, yet if someone runs over a cat they are allowed to leave it at the side of the road and carry on.

It's probably something to do with not being able to have your cake and eat it. Cat owners get to let their pet roam free, getting up to all kinds of stuff; something to do with wild instincts and roaming...

If you want your cat legally accepted to be out roaming wild absolving you of responsibility that is legally enforced on - say - dog owners, then you have to also accept that the down side is that your cat isn't going to be high up on the legal responsibility list, and ends up being treated just like the next fox/badger/rabbit that ends up with tyre tracks over it.

I say this as someone who owns a cat (and two dogs) btw.

Soldato
As much as it is sad, there is actually legislation relating to crossbows so that woman as actually incorrect.

Crossbow Act 1987

1. Sale and letting on hire.

A person who sells or lets on hire a crossbow or a part of a crossbow to a person under the age of [eighteen]1 is guilty of an offence, unless he believes him to be [eighteen]1 years of age or older and has reasonable ground for the belief.

2. Purchase and hiring.

A person under the age of [eighteen]1 who buys or hires a crossbow or a part of a crossbow is guilty of an offence.

3. Possession.

A person under the age of [eighteen]1 who has with him—

(a) a crossbow which is capable of discharging a missile, or

(b) parts of a crossbow which together (and without any other parts) can be assembled to form a crossbow capable of discharging a missile,

is guilty of an offence, unless he is under the supervision of a person who is twenty-one years of age or older

They're the main parts of the Act.

Man of Honour

Well perhaps to you, your darlings don't smell. This however is part of the issue, the differences in attitudes of cat owners and those around them.

I've had numerous neighbours over the years who have bought cats. They arrive at which point my garden's been used as a toilet. It's always the smell that attracts my attention; I'm left having to clean up it.

Sure diet is a big factor, human vegetarians too smell :)p), but for the most part your point while technically true doesn't seem practised enough in the real world. Besides arguing about the smell you understand the further annoyance of cleaning up after them right?

I didn't know that, I presume it's because if you own a cat that isn't housebound there are risks which have to be taken on board. Which is strange because one man's pet can be another's vermin. Yet we aren't allowed to deter this vermin or exterminate it like we would e.g. rats, mice etc.

In all though, I was agreeing with a poster above who didn't like what cats were allowed to do, i.e. crapping in others' gardens.

Again, both points are beside what was being said above.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sigh... I wondered how many posts there would be before the cat poo issue came up again. Every single thread involving a cat goes the same way - it's so boring! We know people have issues with cat poo, do we need to argue about it every time?

Soldato
I live in the countryside Bunny, so I am very used to what Nature is all about :p

The difference is the cat is a pet and thus supposedly under your control, the rest of the animals you described are wild animals, and if they intruded into my garden I could shoot them if I was so inclined (i'm not btw :p - oh and except badgers who are a protected species), though I can't shoot your cat for the same thing.

Actually, from that list, squirrels are also protected :p http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th10e.htm

Oh and you better be sure the thing your shooting isnt actually a wild cat.

Its nice to see dolphins on that list. If there is one thing i can't stand, its dolphins defecating in my garden. *Shakes angry fist at dolphins*

Associate
its terrible I know... but the photos actually look quite comical. I'm very surprised it survived that, I used to shoot rabbits with a crossbow (before I got an air rifle) and they died every time pretty much instantly... Tough and very very luck cat.

Soldato
I've had numerous neighbours over the years who have bought cats. They arrive at which point my garden's been used as a toilet. It's always the smell that attracts my attention; I'm left having to clean up it.

Why don't you knock on their door and tell them to first clean up the mess their cat made and seconds to make effort to prevent it happening in the future?

Man of Honour
I have in the past put in a polite request. However we all have neighbours and it somewhat strains the (or any) relationship when I have to call them over sometimes weekly or more.

What efforts would you suggest? No neighbour has offered financial reimbursement for any products available, whether it be those sonar things or anything else. The general impression I get from my own experiences, and clearly from others on here for example is that cat owners don't really give a crap (ha!...).

Soldato
Leave the pressure washer/hose connected or get one of those big super soakers and blast it every time it comes into your garden... After a while it should realise not to go there.. Oh and your grass will be a nice green after the extra water.. :D

Soldato
As much as I'm fed up of reading the same moan again and again whenever cats are mentioned, I read these things about cat poo and think I must be one of the responsible ones.
I have a litter tray for my two and once they've eaten, I try my best to keep them in until I've seen them use it before I let them out. I've told my neighbour who has a vegetable patch that if he ever sees one of mine dumping in his garden then either come tell me, or if I'm not in, put some kind of mark down and i'll come pick it up when I get home.
I saw one of mine do it once (though the instances should be few and far between with the precautions I take) and went out with a nappy bag to pick it up.

I don't want to deprive my cats of the freedom to play out because they love it, but similarly I want a good relationship with my neighbours. There are dozens of cats round here and I bet I'm one of the only ones with that attitude, I'd hate to think that my cat became a victim of someone's anger when it's much more likely that it's someone else's cat that's been crapping in their garden.

With mine it would be a genuine, one-time accident, and it scares me that they could become the victim of antifreeze poisoning or something, which I don't think people always consider.
I see it as like a farmer shooting someone, whose car has broken down and has wandered onto their land looking to use the phone, then using the defence of "well people keep coming onto my land to steal things so I was within my rights to shoot him because I thought that's what he was doing too."
You don't always end up getting your revenge on the perpetrator, it could be a innocent victim.

Back
Top Bottom