Still not convinced by these SSD's

Soldato
Are there comparison vids of games loading times improved over a 7200rpm using an SSD?

I seriously despise loading times and would like to think SSDs could improve them.

Soldato
SSD Died the other month and while im RMAing im using a 160 gig WD Velociraptor, 10k rpm....the boot time now seems ridiculous! even though i know its not....still very annoying! I will probs put the RMAd SSD in muy HTPC and get another SSD around christmas, great bits of kit.

Associate
Once you've gone SSD you can't go back :)

To set a little background; we investigated SSDs for certain roles at work. Turns out they're not quite ready for what we wanted to do. So, on with the testing, but this time more personal ;)

OCZ Vertex2 Pro 100GB, "Enterprise" MLC SSD...

This ran in my main rig at home for about 2 Months, I turned my PC off a little more, rather than just using sleep as usual. This was kind of annoying, loosing all my tabs etc, so I stopped.
No benefit for my usage pattern there.

Lightroom; Surely importing 8GB of Raw photos & editing would see an improvement... well actually, not so much. It still stuttered when changing photos. I Realise these are 30mb files, and that they take a few seconds to load from a HDD, but still not seamless on an SSD. Better? yes, worth SSD Money? No.

Games? well, whatever. Perhaps a few seconds faster, maybe not, I didn't use a stopwatch. Extracting stuff, much better, but I don't do a huge amount of that. Installing programs, this is a difficult one. I expected to be able to install multiple apps at once, and generally avoid the 'I'm installing stuff, and therefore virtually unusable' state that my PC normally enters. Well, windows installer limits you to a single concurrent installation, the actual install times weren't an awful lot quicker. Yes, a bit less laggy when doing an installation in the background, but still significantly slower. Decrypting Steam pre-orders was a bit quicker... :) Better for these things? Yes. Justifiably? No.

Multitasking... aside from the issue with running an installer & doing everything else, I don't expect my PC to perform miracles for me. Encoding a 25GB movie file, and playing Crysis 2 isn't something I'm interested in doing... I don't often run into HDD bottlenecks with multi-tasking on my main box. I guess this is superfetch doing its thing. I can quite happily leave my browser/chat/apps etc open, and fire up a game, drop a film on the second screen, whatever. I have on occasion left EVE in the background and played something else over the top, accidentally. I didn't even notice until I quit. One benefit is when dropping out of a memory hungry game, pulling the paged out data from the SSD was much quicker, resulting in better exit times. That's useful if some-one calls and I need to quit & do something else quickly, but actually that doesn't happen very often.

So... all in all, it wasn't worth the small space, and I couldn't justify buying my own SSD. I went back to my 500GB F3, More than a little disappointed in SSD performance I have to say!

What I did next, was drop the SSD into my (work) laptop. That was a night & day difference! The first two benefits are obvious, an increase in battery life, already 6-7hr, it is now 8hr+, Some weeks I only charge it once or twice :)
Shock resistance; the stock toshiba HDD had auto-parking heads to prevent damage, this is good. What's not good is when you move, and the machine pauses for 3-4sec in the middle of doing something.
Hibernation is now very good. It'll hibernate in <1min, resume in <1min, I've reduced the sleep timer to 15mins, which has helped a lot with battery life, because waiting for it to come back is no longer the 4-5min chore it used to be, and there's no extended period of sluggishness after a resume. Cold boots are decent too, but I only do those when updates have been installed.

And finally, performance. This isn't a great as I was expecting after all the hype, but definitely a far more dramatic upgrade than on my desktop. When I run low on free space (3-4gb), it starts lagging a bit, but tidy it up, leave it on overnight for Trim to do its thing, and its fine again. Overall application loading times are far better than the old disk, and multitasking is much better. Its clear that the bottleneck in this machine was very definitely the disk. Perhaps this wasn't the case in my desktop.

Soldato
What I did next, was drop the SSD into my (work) laptop. That was a night & day difference! The first two benefits are obvious, an increase in battery life, already 6-7hr, it is now 8hr+, Some weeks I only charge it once or twice :)
Shock resistance; the stock toshiba HDD had auto-parking heads to prevent damage, this is good. What's not good is when you move, and the machine pauses for 3-4sec in the middle of doing something.
Hibernation is now very good. It'll hibernate in <1min, resume in <1min, I've reduced the sleep timer to 15mins, which has helped a lot with battery life, because waiting for it to come back is no longer the 4-5min chore it used to be, and there's no extended period of sluggishness after a resume. Cold boots are decent too, but I only do those when updates have been installed.

And finally, performance. This isn't a great as I was expecting after all the hype, but definitely a far more dramatic upgrade than on my desktop. When I run low on free space (3-4gb), it starts lagging a bit, but tidy it up, leave it on overnight for Trim to do its thing, and its fine again. Overall application loading times are far better than the old disk, and multitasking is much better. Its clear that the bottleneck in this machine was very definitely the disk. Perhaps this wasn't the case in my desktop.

I think RAM makes a big difference with superfetch etc, most noticeable upgrade for me was cloning over to a Vertex 2E in my mums core2duo macbook; with only 1.5GB RAM it was painful to use before, seconds of delay on open file dialogues etc, but now it flies. That's capped at SATA-150 speeds too (chipset should support SATA-300 but Apple limited it for their own reasons).

When considering value it's worth considering it like any other component, dropping a couple of hundred on SSD's made more difference for my main box than going Q6600 to i5 or a second 5850 for Crossfire would have been.

Man of Honour
I don't regret my purchase of an SSD. I wish all my drives were SSD, but it's too expensive. Can SSDs come in 2TB size yet?

Technically, a 2TB SSD is possible. However, the average person cannot afford that as SSDs still average at or about $2 (US) per GB. I don't think we'd sell many at $4000 retail.

Last edited:
Associate
Prices too high and still questions about their reliablity in the long term. I'm staying away from SSDs until the prices come way down. Yes I know i'll be waiting until 2015 but so be it.

Soldato
Technically, a 2TB SSD is possible. However, the average person cannot afford that as SSDs still average at or about $2 (US) per GB. I don't think we'd sell many at $4000 retail.

When do you think that a 2TB SSD will be affordable to most?

PS. Are Corsair going to ship out the 600T Black with the improved 200mm fan and fan controller from the White version?

Man of Honour
I have no idea on the case. You'd need to ask at our forum as that will have to go to the case PM.

Also, traditional NAND flash as we know it may never be that affordable to the point that a 1TB+ drive is feasible. There's no guarantee that NAND flash will progress like HDDs have.

Soldato
OP
I was a little underwhelmed at first when I got my Vertex 2E, but now as time has gone on it has made more and more of an impression on me. I especially like the shutdown times.. I can get up and turn my back and it has already shutdown! :p My old system never used to do that.

I don't think I could go back to HDD for OS now.

Why would you hang around to watch the computer shut down anyway. Who cares how long it takes. You shut it down, make sure it's going to shutdown and there's no processes running that shouldn't be. Then walk away while it does it's thing. I've never felt the need to sit and watch it turn off.

Back
Top Bottom