Roundabout Question

Associate
I don't post in Motors that often, but am calling on your infinite knowledge of the highways and byways to advise on a situation at a roundabout!

Below is the route I take to work in the mornings. Approaching the roundabout (moira road), there are 2 lanes, 2 lanes on the roundabout, 2 lanes at the 2nd exit, and 1 lane at my exit (Long rig road)

My question is, am I right in using the left hand lane for my journey? Almost daily I get people blaring the horn at me and near misses from people in the right hand lane trying to cut across to the second exit or that are taking the same route as me and have been in the right hand lane.

If I'm in the wrong I'll hold my hands up (well not literally, that would be dangerous while driving) and start using the other lane, but I don't think I am.

Thoughts?

Soldato
Your exit is not past twelve 0' clock relative to where you started entering the roundabout, in which case the left hand lane should be used I thought.

Associate
Afterpassing my driving test in January (so got the new test that came out last October), I'd do the same as you. As mentioned its not 'after 12' so the left lane is fine.

alx

alx

Soldato
I believe I am right in saying you should use the left hand lane to go straight ahead unless it's marked otherwise - so what you are doing is correct. However, it's amazing how many people don't know this.....

Associate
OP
Thanks for clearing that up. Doesn't stop me having to take the wrong exit sometimes to avoid idiots trying to exit the roundabout from the wrong lane mind you. I think what a lot of people assume is that because the 2nd exit has 2 lanes for a short while it's ok to exit from the inner lane, when infact (I assume) its really for cars passing slow moving lorries as thats the road to the airport and gets a lot of hgv traffic.

And no, I only indicate after I have passed the exit before the one I wish to take.

Soldato
What does the sign approaching the roundabout show?

Is your exit shown at the 12 o'clock position on it?

Either way, it is bad road design. There should be 2 lanes coming off that then merge in turn, or the 2nd exit should only be a single lane.

Soldato
I'm surprised at the responses... Maybe I'm just not reading this right.

At exit 2, surely both lanes of the roundabout are entitled to get off, surely you are creating a danger by being in the left hand lane if you're going on to exit 3. You're cutting across the turning traffic, rather than them cutting across you.

I don't know what the rules are but personally I'd rather be in the right hand lane and avoid any confrontations.

Soldato
I'm surprised at the responses... Maybe I'm just not reading this right.

At exit 2, surely both lanes of the roundabout are entitled to get off, surely you are creating a danger by being in the left hand lane if you're going on to exit 3. You're cutting across the turning traffic, rather than them cutting across you.

In the absence of correct marking or marking to say otherwise though, he is perfectly entitled to use the left lane

Associate
I would do the same. Left lane is generally for straight on unless otherwise stated. I think from the 'what annoys you on the road' or whatever threads that there are a lot of idiots who dont know how to drive and seem to be pretty angry at those who do. carry on.

Soldato
If there is a dual lane exit on exit three then either lane is fine, if only one (as there is at nutts corner) left lane everytime.

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom