How brown do you brown your mince?

Soldato
When making bolognese sauces and the like, I used to brown the meat for a short while - just so the pink went. I have recently been really browning it - as in lightly burning. Doing this seems to really enhance the flavour of the meat and sauce.

How brown do you go?

:)

Man of Honour
Pink OR Brown, I don't mind either way ;)

just don't go back to pink after brown

I tend to let it cook all the way through without stirring (usually having piled the onions or garlic, veg etc that are already softened on top) and let it brown a bit, before adding wine or whatever, a bit of browning does seem to enhance

Caporegime
I brown each part of the batch to a different degree. I.e., I'll lightly brown all of it all over, remove 50% and brown the remainder a bit more, then remove 50% of that and really brown the final 25% so that it's crispy and adds more flavour and texture.

Suspended
I generally brown it until all the liquid in the meat has evaporated and the meat is cooked through and caramelized by it's juices. Then use some wine or beef stock to deglaze the pan. Transfer it to a slow cooker and leave it for about 8 hours. Perfectly flavoursome and tender every time.

Applies to stews, bolognese and pretty much everything else I make with minced or diced beef.

Soldato
The mince must be pounded and mixed and fully brown. There must be no traces of "beef worm" and must be like a fine powder. No-one I know does mince beef as well as I.

Soldato
Needs to be caramelised to make an epic bolo :)

this^^^ i always put around 250g at a time into a hot pan or pot and then flatten, so it looks like a big burger and cook it until it starts to burn, then flip it over and repeat. breaking it up
then just remove from pan and repeat with the rest of mince in small batches, do not add too much meat, or it will boil and become horrible.
this burning (caramelizing) really improves the flavour

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think it's the cooking process rather than the use of the wok that's the problem there. I personally don't use a wok for spag bol, but I can't see anything wrong per se with cooking pasta in a wok. You only burn stuff if the heat's too high.

Soldato
Yeah but a decent woks designed to get really hot isn't it? That's why they're so thin, they don't dissipate the heat around the pan. Either way, housemates a tard:)

Soldato
I would agree with Robbie G, I would say that the housemate can't cook more than anything else ... I use a wok when I'm making spag bol, (only thing I've got which is big enough), and have never had issues with things burning at all ...

Associate
My housemate uses a wok for everything. Pasta? Wok. Spag bol? Wok. It's now burnt to a crisp. People should use the right tools for the job! Grrr :mad:

Woks are meant to blacken over time. There's a chinese saying that is something like "The blacker the wok, the better the chef."

Totally agree on the points here on the mince worms. Seriously hate it when I have to eat something like chilli or spag bol and the mince in it is in supermarket mince style worms.

Soldato
Woks are meant to blacken over time. There's a chinese saying that is something like "The blacker the wok, the better the chef."

Totally agree on the points here on the mince worms. Seriously hate it when I have to eat something like chilli or spag bol and the mince in it is in supermarket mince style worms.

To clarify, it's not just blackened. There are lumps of burnt on stuff that will not come off. It's destroyed the bottom of the pan which has now gone rusty:)

Associate
Like it's been said above, browning the meat is just so the sugars caramelise and add to the flavour. I'd definately do it until there's a residue on the pan itself and possibly even little dark flecks on the meat. At that point use some wine or some stock or something to deglaze the pan and get all that flavour into the sauce.

Regarding the wok, it shouldn't really matter. I know woks are meant to have high heat in the center with cooler areas up the sides to stack cooked food, but it should be fine (if incorrect) for quickly cooking other things. The main issue may well just be the quality of the pan. If it's a £5.99 job from a supermarket, you could probably burn water in it half the time.

Back
Top Bottom