Please spec me a bottle of Red Wine

Associate
Just asked my Dad what he wants for fathers day and he said a nice bottle of red wine. He mentioned merlot.

Thing is im more of a can of Foster kinda guy, a VB if im feeling exotic :p

Dont really want to spend over £30, and it needs to be avaible in a High street shop as I've left it quite late.

The winner will have their username written on the bottle somewhere as a thankyou tribute for the suggestion :D

Thanking you please :)

Man of Honour
Without knowing his tastes its a bit hard.

I'm quite a fan of Australian red wines myself especially Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz always found them rich, full flavored but not too sweet or too sour - I tend to drink Wolf Blass or Banrock Station tho which are fairly average table wines and probably not quite special enough for a gift.

Soldato
Merlot - you could get an OKish Bordeaux for ~£30. I'd recommend a 2006 Château Laroque, Saint-Émilion, which you can find in Waitrose. It's pretty good, well priced and has a classic Bordeaux taste. Perhaps needed a couple more years on it when I drank it (early 2010) but is certainly drinkable right now.

http://www.waitrosewine.com/230200907/Product.aspx

Soldato
Bordeaux or a nice bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape (got a few of those stored away for special occasions!)

You don't need to spend £30 to get a good bottle of wine by the way! I've had perfectly nice bottles at all prices, just depends. Probably nicest was a local wine when we went to France last year, worked out at £3 a bottle and was sublime!

I tend to go to my local independant wine retailer and ask sommelier their advice - been spot on each time!

Soldato
Wine snobs may hate me for this but I really love campo viejo rioja. It can be had for ~£7 for the bog-standard stuff :)

Can't stand wine snobs. One of my mates is a total wine snob is and I tricked him with a regional French wine that cost £2.30 in an empty Bordeaux wine bottle that originally cost £25 or so...... he didn't notice the difference until I told him after he finished his 2nd glass! :D

I quite like Penfolds, not too cheap but always under £10 a bottle and most pleasant.

Soldato
Vb raw is drinkable IMO
Not at the beginning of the night, it's not :D

You don't need to spend £30 to get a good bottle of wine by the way!

This. You should be able to get a nice St Estephe for under £30. But it's very difficult to recomend wine to a stranger imo.

Wine snobs may hate me for this but I really love campo viejo rioja. It can be had for ~£7 for the bog-standard stuff :)

Not at all. I know some of them are very good at BBQs etc.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

£30 was a limit rather than a guide price. I know I've asked a bit of a hard question due to personal tastes, but your guesses will be much better than mine!

VB is the drink of the gods, only bettered by Carlton Draught. I agree Fosters is a bit iffy though :D

Going to check out YellowTail + Château Laroque, I shall let you know how I get on.

Thanks again :cool:

Soldato
Hmm, if he likes Merlot I'd probably steer clear of Shiraz/CNDP, I'd go with Justin's recommendation of a St Emillion. You might be able to get a bottle of Clos Fourtet within your budget if you're lucky and you can find anyone selling by the bottle

Soldato
Get 2 or 3 bottles, don't splash out on one if you're not certain he will enjoy it. Waitrose is good for wine on the high street, they do a speciality (more expensive) section with bottles from about £10-30 or so. I'd just pick a couple of nice reds from there that you like the sound of:)

Associate
I second Saint-Émilion if your dad likes merlot. Try Californian or Chilean varieties as well.
For the price, you get better wine if you go America.

Associate

I also enjoyed this bottle last time I had it, it's pretty good for the price and much better than some of the crap I have drank thats more expensive, But then I find that wine is somewhat of a minefield in the price range up to £30, without being an expert on the matter.

Soldato

Lovely stuff IMO. The spice tastes remind me of christmas cake :D

If he's not particularly "into" his wines, don't spend £30. Better getting a case of 6 random wines IMO, as this can still get you some nice mass produced wines ie Wolfblass Yellow Label etc

Man of Honour
Yeah I'd definitely go with the reccomendations for getting 2-3 wines or a case.

Love Wolf Blass Yellow Label :D

Back
Top Bottom