Rig/Cruncher images and specs......

Soldato
img3048i.jpg

My new sandy bridge rig, i7 2600K, P8P67-M Pro, GTX 460

I'm not particularly happy with the water cooling, I originally planned to have the pump/res on top of the PSU and the rad in the bottom, but it didn't fit so had to go with the layout here. Also I used 1/2" barbs on 1/2" tube which really didn't feel secure (I'm used to using 3/8), seem to be holding up though with cable ties in place but I think I'm going to get a bay res and reorganise a bit, maybe replace the 1/2 tubing for 7/16 as well for peace of mind.

Also, note to self; don't leak test a loop with a fish tank behind it, the sound of tricking water made me panic and think it was leaking more than once! :p

Soldato
I'd really like to do a mATX build at some point, probably for my general use rig, so next time I upgrade I'll use this motherboard for that. I thought I'd give myself the option anyhow :)

Man of Honour
Woah, ok things have changed since I wrote that. Linux folding bigadv wu's is where the big points are :) No idea on wine gpu folding tho. :)

Soldato
Ha, didn't realize it was that old. Still, this forum isn't active enough... we should go on a recruiting run ;)

Bit hypocritical of me, considering the only crunching i've done was about a months worth of MilkyWay on my 8400GS but still :p

Associate
To keep this thread going I'd thought to post my rig - specs in sig. It isn't a dedi Folding but runs 9-12 hours a day. P8P67-D mobo looks tiny in the 800D.
I've started the process of speccing a 24/7 2600K-folding rig, I will post those pics as soon as it's built with a few weeks I hope - expected to do 45-50 points.

Anyway, here is my temporary SMP folding rig, max CPU temps are 65c at 24c room temp, 61c at 22c. Case temp is avg of 31c.

0371m.jpg

Associate
I'm always so impressed with how tidy you guys can make your systems. Anything I build always seems to turn out to be a right rats nest of wires :(

Associate
I'm always so impressed with how tidy you guys can make your systems. Anything I build always seems to turn out to be a right rats nest of wires :(

Those tidy rigs are typical of the photos I seen on this forum before buying this rig as my previous PC was a mess. It is an achievement to get it looking tidy, professional looking too :)

My basic advice is to pick a case with enough depth at the back to keep the wires tied together (Velcro by the roll does the job for unbundling wires when needed) with the excess wires kept in place to improve case airflow. Case temps of 30c idle/33c load is testament to that - with energy-sapping 12K BTU aircon on take off 4c. Try to buy a good modular PSU to minimise on excess wires as that can causes headaches since there isn't much room otherwise in cheaper cases with standard designs to hide them. Take care in all areas during a build, the temptation to be sloppy to save time just isn't worth it in the long run. On-the-spot planning before/during/after building is needed to optimise the space in order to keep it organised. It can take just as long to build a rig as it does with cable-management the first time so don't panic.

Soldato
Trying to get organised is a tad difficult when you have the attention span of a flea, but am crunching on 1 machine now. Greed did get the better of me and i tried for 4 x gtx570 but the thermaltake 1500w (or thermaltak) as some of you call them was a wee bit strained.
1 rats nest of wiring to clear up and then overclocking time :)

Had a problem with a z68 board otherwise i might have been able to show a pic of foldy rig, just the one 570 and an i7 2600k but it'll stop my descent in the team 10 ranking :)

"May the farce be with you"

Associate
Nice one TBag.....

mine's a little late in posting - been somewhat pre-occuppied (family) and will be for some time.

But have had chance to change the tubing.

Previously:
dscf0456c.jpg

And now:
dscf0468y.jpg

As you can see, just the one GPU in at the mo.

Associate
T'is a work in progress......

Will be looking to upgrade the cpu from i7 930 to i7 970 as well as add a few more GPU's - but thats a few months away yet.

Was hoping to be doing a bit of Bulldozing by now - but again that looks like the end of the year - at least until 2nd gen chips are released - and depending on performance - might just end up stepping up to LGA 2011........who knows?

Associate
Looking at this thread makes me so jealous.
I'd love to see a contest to who has the most impressive lights display :D

Maybe an idea for another thread come xmas time for those dedicated in that area, not really suitable for folding rigs. There's loads on youtube going back over the years, search for 'flashing lights pc' as photos won't do it justice.

Back
Top Bottom