going from a 32inch LED tv to a 40inch LED tv..will i notice the diff in blurays?

Soldato
As I said earlier, and someone else has mentioned, if glare is a massive concern, backlight the TV. It's easy to do. Here's my set up.

dsc01811d.jpg

dsc01814t.jpg

note, no glare, and I have one main light on in the room which you can see on the bottom edge surround of both pictures. That's it. It doesn't spill on to the screen at all.

That TV is a 46G10B, near on 24 months old as a model, and 18 months since I've had it.

I play xbox for sometimes anything up to 4 hours non stop. I get the odd burn, but it goes as soon as you start watching something else, or chuck a white image on the screen (although I've never done that). Also, my Panny has no buzz, it's near silent bar two fans on the back spinning which you can't hear. It does get hot, but then it means I don't have to put the heating on in the lounge over winte, saving money :D

Associate
OP
WOW, i love your setup Lucero!! Lol im glad i didnt upload a picture of my room now to show my light sources.. I would have been easily put to shame(its actully made me turn around and start replanning out my room to get something as amazing looking lol!) lol! I think i may go for either white or light blue backlighting.

Tbh i doubt any buzz or fans could get above my 2nd gen ps3 GPU fan while gaming >< lol

Well its between the GT20 (or GT30 if its cheap enough next time i get paid) or looking at the pics above.. the G20 or g30 if i can find out if the picture quality is the same between the GT's and the G's. Although im betting anything will be better than my current tv, Which is almost white with light bleed from all sides lol

Thnaks for sharing the pics ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
As I said earlier, and someone else has mentioned, if glare is a massive concern, backlight the TV. It's easy to do. Here's my set up.

dsc01811d.jpg

dsc01814t.jpg

note, no glare, and I have one main light on in the room which you can see on the bottom edge surround of both pictures. That's it. It doesn't spill on to the screen at all.

That TV is a 46G10B, near on 24 months old as a model, and 18 months since I've had it.

I play xbox for sometimes anything up to 4 hours non stop. I get the odd burn, but it goes as soon as you start watching something else, or chuck a white image on the screen (although I've never done that). Also, my Panny has no buzz, it's near silent bar two fans on the back spinning which you can't hear. It does get hot, but then it means I don't have to put the heating on in the lounge over winte, saving money :D

hi lucero

i love your setup. what make and how much was the stand?

Soldato
Hi there,

The "stand" (technilcally it's just a white AV unit as the TV is attached to the wall), was built by a local furniture company. I tried a similar looking unit from Ikea which was £300. The width of the wall that the TV sits in is 1.8m, and I knew I could find units that wide, but, not deep enough to house AV equipment (which can be 55cm in depth sometimes).

So, I got the local company to make it to my design. Came in around £480 with a glass top.

Associate
I am shocked adamknox cannot see the difference with the blu ray. When we switched to hd i was amazed. We did some experiments and played a blu ray on the ps3, a blu ray rip on pc and the same film was on sky hd. We played em all on same tv at same time (different inputs). Blu ray playback on ps3 was good, pc was MUCH better and sky hd was the best but only just and only on picture. Sound was best on the pc closely followed by sky.

Ps - loving the back lighting Lucero - the effect could easily be achieved with a bit of diy - thank you for the idea. I live i a rented house so will have to make a free standing version. Does back-lighting also help with sun coming in the window? i have had to mount tv directly opposite a south facing window :(

Soldato
Generally speaking when watching TV, I have absolutely not light sources onfront of the screen in a position that even if it was a mirror i could see it.......i have LED lights behind the TV and a lamp right off in the corner of the room, perfect combination!

IN films the lamp goes off and leaves just the LEDs:

TWP_9897.jpg

TV_lighter.jpg

That is a 46" G10B too.

It does reflect like a gooden though, like all glass fronted TVs will. I have blackout curtains when watching TV during the day as the sofa is infront of a window with TV opposite, so I can just see whats going on outside lol:

Associate
OP
Generally speaking when watching TV, I have absolutely not light sources onfront of the screen in a position that even if it was a mirror i could see it.......i have LED lights behind the TV and a lamp right off in the corner of the room, perfect combination!
That is a 46" G10B too.

It does reflect like a gooden though, like all glass fronted TVs will. I have blackout curtains when watching TV during the day as the sofa is infront of a window with TV opposite, so I can just see whats going on outside lol:

Ok ty :D
Unfortunatly the TV is about 8-10 foot infront of a Sun facing window -_- So im guessing i will have to get blackout blinds as well. I also have a 2nd window in the room along the same wall as the first.

Most people i have asked say "well move the tv" However with my room setup i have nowhere telse to put it, and at the moment it look good where it is.

if you dont mind me asking how expensive were the blackout blinds? I remmber seeing some on a website a few months back (custom made) that were approc £25 for a smallish window. However that was thin cotton material.

P.s i love your room! ;)However having the christmas tree up in june is maybe an odd idea..but it works :D... Unless this pic was taken in december lol

Associate
OP
I am shocked adamknox cannot see the difference with the blu ray. When we switched to hd i was amazed. We did some experiments and played a blu ray on the ps3, a blu ray rip on pc and the same film was on sky hd. We played em all on same tv at same time (different inputs). Blu ray playback on ps3 was good, pc was MUCH better and sky hd was the best but only just and only on picture. Sound was best on the pc closely followed by sky.

Ps - loving the back lighting Lucero - the effect could easily be achieved with a bit of diy - thank you for the idea. I live i a rented house so will have to make a free standing version. Does back-lighting also help with sun coming in the window? i have had to mount tv directly opposite a south facing window :(

What screen size do you have though? Yep the blurays did look better on a 32 inch screen than the dvd. However if i was to give a score for quality i would say they were equal unless u looked for the diffrences. For e.g lets take Watchmen. On the opening scene where it shows you the alternative history. When the watchmen stand together to have a picture taken. The edges of the masks look slightly sharper and more defined but once again only if you look at that one area. However before the opening sceen there is a fight. At the end of the fight the camera zooms in on the a badge with the blood dripping down, its surrounded by shatterd glass. There is NO diffrence at all going from dvd upscaled to bluray. Same with 90% of the film. I checked this by connecting my ps3 into HDMI port one and a friends into HDMI port two and starting the film on the dvd 2 seconds infront of the bluray and swapping between them. :(

I have seen blurays on 42 inchs now however and you do see the diffrience between blu and dvd a lot easier.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's easy to spot the difference on a 42" (that's what I have), however the biggest thing is simply viewing distance (although visual acuity plays a part). I don't think you can ever have too much resolution, it's just a case of not necessarily seeing the benefits from your viewing position. My 24" monitor @1920x1200 is good for about an arm's length away, any closer than that and it starts appearing more pixellated and blurry. With a 42" TV, a BD looks fine up to about 5ft then as you get closer the same thing happens, with a DVD you need to distance yourself a fair bit further for it to become harder to differentiate.

In most people's setups though, the TV tends to remain in one place, so the optimal screen size/viewing distance to appreciate the full benefit of 1080p doesn't always happen, e.g. my parents have a 32in they watch from about 8ft away, which is too far to appreciate 1080p IMO, but since 90% of the stuff they watch is either on HD channels (1080i/720p) or standard def, it's probably about right. In 10 years when nearly all programming is HD (hopefully), then I'll pester them to get a 50" or something.

Oh and nice feature wall tom!

Soldato
Blu-ray isn't all about picture quality too, DTS-HDMA & Dolby TrueHD both sound supurb providing you've got an amp that can decode it (or accept LPCM if you're using a PS3).

But as has been said, stick on a recent movie and blu-ray will own DVD, animated films are the most noticeable - Cars/Toy story/monsters inc etc etc :cool:

Associate
im picky with pixel pitch TBH. ive owned many 720p,1080p,1152p,1600p monitors / tv`s and i can tell the difference each time. as long as your far away enough to not see the individual pixels then its hard to tell though. Would you now go out and buy a 720p 24" monitor? if you did it wouldnt look very nice compared to a nice 1080p model.

it doesnt mean there is not a difference, there is a considerable difference moving to a higher res. just try zooming into a 720p or 1080p digital camera shot and then try the same on a 8 megapixel shot :) still crisp amazing detail, even a cheap tesco camera can capture more pixel information than a state of the art HD telly ,well about x4 times more !!!

Back
Top Bottom