Is this taking the 'distant selling law' a bit too far?

Associate
As some of you may know I am looking for (well found..) a 42inch tv and i have narrowed it down to three. The GT30 (bit too pricey yet it's supposed to have less reflections), The GT20(heard mixed reviews specially compared to the GT30) or the G30 (heard some bad things) So i decided to go and check them out in store (not that a shop is the best place for an inspection)So i spent friday, Saturday and Sunday trawling the streets of Bridgwater, Taunton, Bristol and Weston-super-mere and found....nothing. No shops had any of the tvs (well Currys in Taunton had the GT20 but very badly tuned)

So i came up with a somewhat cunning plan..

I would buy my less favoured model (G30)(also the cheapest) from The rainforest website and see what it was like, if i wasn't happy then send it back under the distant selling regulations/law (rainforest pays the P+P) and buy the GT20, once again if I wasn't happy send it back and then get my favoured (yet more expensive model) the GT30. While this would really allow me to check out the model at home. I do feel a little guilty doing this to the rainforest.. and also a little worried they will be a bit p'ed off lol

I have spent nearly a week studying many hours into the night on each of the models and I would really like to see them in action for myself rather than rely on reviews from reviewers who are either too picky (as in they mark the TV down 10% if the remote is fiddly), paid off by panasonic, or just have different expectations than I have. I normally use hdtvtest. However i have found a few reviews on tv's that i have used whic they mark pretty low when they arn't nearly as bad as they say.
This seems to be the only way to view them/try myself, but is it taking the P and unfair on the rainforests good faith with the consumer.. or am i worrying too much :p

Last edited:
Associate
Why not go to a richer sounds store and get them to set the tvs up correctly. Always found the reading store helpful and knowledgable. Think there is one in bristol

Soldato
To be honest this sounds to me like what the DSR are all about. I was under the impression that the 7 days was for your to check that the item was fit for purchase.

You could argue that you're meant to do your research before hand etc but it sounds like he's tried.

Only thing I would do is order them from different retailers. Despite my interpretation of the law I think you might have a fight on your hands if you returned two in a row for screen glare :) (actually, do you need to give a reason?)

Saying that. It's "The Rainforest". You're a drop in the ocean compared to all the orders and returns they'll receive a minute let alone the 3 or 4 weeks it would take you to go through this entire scenario.

Associate
OP
I have another 2 weeks till payday so i have another 2 weeks to research (also look for that shop in bristol that hood1971 said about) but i think i will just send them back if its not much cop. :( Tahnks for all your advice and opinions :) and like roy said..i doubt they would notice with all the returns they get lol

At the end of the day its not like im being a ..(wish i could curse on here) and just doing it for fun. I have honestly exhausted all my resources and this is pretty much my last (apart from paying £20 on trains fairs)

Soldato
It's taking the mick. Ultimately it'll be more expensive for you, me and the next guy to buy a product in the future because you decided to use the DSR as some sort of try before you buy scheme.

Getting a TV that you know you'll probably return is acting in bad faith. Otherwise everyone would 'buy' a new tv at the start of the Olympics, decide after it that 'it's not met expectations' and mass return them. Whilst technically within your rights it's not something I would see as fair.

Soldato
Unless a seller doesn't mention in the contract that you're responsible for return costs then you'll have to pay. Sending a TV back safely won't be that cheap.

Associate
OP
It's taking the mick. Ultimately it'll be more expensive for you, me and the next guy to buy a product in the future because you decided to use the DSR as some sort of try before you buy scheme.

Getting a TV that you know you'll probably return is acting in bad faith. Otherwise everyone would 'buy' a new tv at the start of the Olympics, decide after it that 'it's not met expectations' and mass return them. Whilst technically within your rights it's not something I would see as fair.

HMm i think your seeing this in a diff light. My main focus is the buy a TV. When i make the order i will be hoping that i wont be returning it as like i say in O.P i have done a lot of research on these items as far as i can go without looking at them. I am worried that if i buy one and its a bit naff and send it back and get the other and that one is a bit naff..will amazong start thinking im taking the micky.

I have no plans on using it to watch films and then return it lol Also the Olympics are on for more tha 7 days :p The only reason i would return it is if it does not meet my expectations as £800 is a lot of money to me and i dont want to waste it. THis is why i have done nothing but research these tvs on nearly every review site out there. I have also asked questions about these tvs on this very forum and had a lot of help. However there is nothing compared to seeing them in person. Nm how much research you do, if it turns up and is... a lot of old pish with awful blacks, no grey scale etc That law is in place to help out buyers like my self.

Associate
I think DSRs are very important, I don't want to see them changed so that we get less rights. Therefore I think we all have a responsibility not to abuse the current system, if you aren't really serious about buying you shouldn't take ****. Identify the TV that you think is the one you really want and only send it back if there is a problem.

Man of Honour
The distance selling regs are there to give buyers the same opportunity to examine the goods as they would if viewed in store.

There's an equal onus on the seller and the buyer not to take the pee. Any commercially aware business selling online will put something in their T's & C's that says it's the customer who is responsible for paying to have goods shipped back.

adamknox, have you looked up the Panasonic solus stores and Pana dealers in your area?

8 Clifton Down Shopping Centre, Whiteladies Road
BS8 2NN Bristol
Tel: 0117 973 0404

Unit MU01A, Willow Brook Centre
BS32 8EF Bristol
Tel: 01454 618703

1 CAMBRIAN ROAD
NP20 4AD NEWPORT
Tel: 01633 212321

Unit 13 County Walk Shopping Centre
TA1 3TZ TAUNTON
Tel: 01823 284000

22 REGENT ARCADE
GL50 1JZ CHELTENHAM
Tel: 01242 222525

Caporegime

Exactly as i said

If you return an item to us using a pre-paid, personalised return mailing label, we'll pay the cost of return delivery if your return is due to an Amazon.co.uk error. Otherwise, we'll deduct the cost of return delivery from the amount of your refund, unless you are returning a defective item or eligible Shoes or Clothing.

they will only pay if its faulty, amazon made a mistake or its an elligible item of shoes or clothing.

You cannot get amazon to pay the return costs on a 42" TV because you changed your mind.

This is exactly the reason we have so much trouble returning faulty stuff when we're genuine. Because so many try to claim its faulty when its not just to get free postage and a refund because they changed their mind.

Back
Top Bottom