My DSLR dilema...

Soldato
I'm upgrading to a DSLR in a few weeks and having decided on a Canon 60D with 17-85mm IS USM for £1,039 I have just found out Jessops price match a particular website.

This has bought the Nikon D7000 with 17-105mm VR (at £1,060) within my budget.

Now I don't know what to do! I've handled both cameras, and I prefer the feel of the Canon. I felt at home with it straight away. BUT...the Nikon is a better camera on paper...albeit only slightly.

The kits lens on the Nikon isn't quite as good as the 17-85mm Canon IS USM, and I'd find the flip out screen on the Canon quite useful, but would it be foolish to go for the Nikon with it's superior AF system and faster burst rate and hope that I get used to the feel of it?

I know i'd be chuffed to bits with whichever one I choose, but I really am now in a bit of a quandry!

Soldato
You might not get used to it, as daft as it sounds.
I can get to grips with a mates 5DII pretty much instantly, yet he cant get the hang of my Nikon at all.

Soldato
In years gone by, I went Canon purely because I found them easier to handle. Either brand has it's pluses and minuses against them. It's what you're most comfortable with. I'd even go for a lesser camera if I knew it was more comfortable to use as there's no point in annoyingly yourself day in and day out, knowing you don't like what you bought.

Associate
Personally, given you love shooting macro stuff I would say you should spend less on the body and factor in the price of a dedicated macro lens and a flash. I am basing this on what you shoot. If you were to buy a D90, macro and flash it would all come in within budget. Or older Canon model if you prefer.

Soldato
OP
hello mr turner!

i do see where your coming from, and that's just what I need...another dilema! LOL!

i was planning on using my raynox DCR250 in conjunction with the kit lens and then a nifty fifty at the turn of the year to get my macro jollies until i can afford a dedicated macro lens. i would imagine the results would be at least as good as what i can get with my fuji.

but...your idea is very tempting!

PS...Whilst I do love shooting macro, I enjoy landscapes more. It's just that my best stuff is macro :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom