Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Different power supplies I believe

Cheers, just so happens the £155 product is no longer for sale, it's the second time this happened to me, before I found a really cheap humanscale freedom chair being sold, and I managed to grab it, and then a few days later went back on the site and saw that the price increased by £40.

I wasn't able to see the £155 product any more it's now £185 same supplier.

Both are VAT registered businesses, I think there may be issues with staff listing items exclusive of VAT on auction sites without realising retail sites needs price after VAT (a common B2b mistake), which is why a few of these good deals are appearing on the site.

p.s. could you edit out the name of the auction site from my quote, I edited it out afterwards, I think it's against the rulers to list names and prices of other retailers. cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't see where he said he was using RAID but I don't see why enabling write cache on software raid would be an issue. I know enabling it on a dedicated RAID controller can cause issues as the controller usually has its own write cache and they can conflict and cause problems.

I'm using the raid you get before you enter windows, does that mean I'm right to have caching turned off in Windows?

Hey guys,

I know you are busy here, but could u pls tell me how SBS2008 works on this server (2 users, exchange, file server). I want to add 8GB

Thanks!

I've got a 2008 Enterprise host running an SBS2008 VM and a Vista VM in Hyper-V with no problems on 8GB ram :)

Associate
Any MSDN subscribers here who can burn me a WHS2011 DVD? I cannot find my copy and we are changing Company name so MSDN is unavailable while they make 'quick changes'.

If so can you email me in Trust. Cheers

EDIT: No matter they were quick holy mackerel that makes a change.

Last edited:
Associate
can anybody help me out with the wake on lan problem I got ?

Im running windows 7 on my HP server and remote connect to it via teamviewer... everything works sweet but would love to be able to turn it on and off via ... another computer or my android phone.

Have downloaded some programs ... WOL for example ... but cannot get it to work.... anybody help out ?

I get the MAC address for the server = punch it in the WOL program but nothing happens.
IP address is the 'external' ip address I take it.....
Once I get this sorted Ill be well happy with this little machine ;)

Soldato
Firstly have you enabled WOL in the BIOS? Using the external IP address would be correct but you would then have to allow the WOL packet through the router using port forwarding. IIRC ports 7 and 9 are commonly used for WOL.

As for remote access, I just use Windows built-in remote desktop. You can get an android RDP viewer. Again you will have to forward the correct ports to the servers IP address (port 3389).

Associate
yeah got WOL enabled in the BIOS..... when enabling the port forwarding on my router I put in the internal ip address that the HP server is on my network... (in this case 192.168.2.5) ?

Soldato
yeah got WOL enabled in the BIOS..... when enabling the port forwarding on my router I put in the internal ip address that the HP server is on my network... (in this case 192.168.2.5) ?
Thinking about it, your probably better off forwarding it to 192.168.2.255, which is the broadcast address for your network.

edit: That's if your router supports forwarding broadcasts, not all home routers do.

Associate
thanks moss.

Its working from Fusion WOL on my desktop pc - that starts up the HP - so I guess the router is setup correctly but then trying WOL from an android app it fails to start....

also its Home Premium on the Server - and Pro on my desktop (home premium is my dads copy taken from his laptop at the mo untill I get another pro ) - I understand Pro cant connect to Home Premium ?

Soldato
Whats the noise on this thing like? I have an shuttle I could use as storage etc but its rather noisy and dont really want it left on all the time, Also temps in an enclosed space? say under the stairs?

Associate
ok I got the wake on lan app (on my android phone) working earlier... turned it on several times.... I went out come home and tried again.

Packets sent - no turn on ..... arrrrggghh!!!

Am I missing something here?
Ip address is the same - internal and external.... mac address is obviously the same....
any ideas guys ?

Associate
ok I got the wake on lan app (on my android phone) working earlier... turned it on several times.... I went out come home and tried again.

Packets sent - no turn on ..... arrrrggghh!!!

Am I missing something here?
Ip address is the same - internal and external.... mac address is obviously the same....
any ideas guys ?

My WOL works intermittently too. I have no idea why though.

Associate
hmm at least thats something spanglemaker....

what port does your WOL software /app use ?
and stock firmware on the HP?
I'm not where the microserver is at the moment so can't check ports etc.

The software I'm using is Fusion WOL, also using the Android xbmc remote app. Standard BIOS on the HP. It's configured with a static IP address and I'm running xbmc live.

I seem to remember it worked fine the first few times now it rarely works.

Back
Top Bottom